Author Topic: Smart Car  (Read 44666 times)

Qazplm1999

Smart Car
« on: September 21, 2004, 11:34:28 am »
Anyone knows its availability? I heard 1000 will be shipped this year and they are all pre-ordered. I am thinking of buying one.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Smart Car
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 06:01:25 pm »

I have a deposit on one.

Heard somewhere between 800-1,200 for the remainder of this year. Next year is undetermined, as they're waiting to see what long-term demand is.  

All have deposits thru to the Spring, but in my case it's refundable. Conditional on pricing (which is now announced, and boy I was hoping for $1,800 less with the options I ordered), approval on financing, and other things. Supposedly people with $1,000+ deposits get theirs before the year is out.

Few customers have driven it, so I suspect a few will find it underpowered and wind up not going thru with the purchase. However, since the general public doesn't have much knowledge about it, I expect orders to go through the roof next week when it hits the streets.  

I've been following it with interest for awhile, so feel free to post if you have any Qs and I may know the answer.

AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Qazplm1999

Smart Car
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 11:11:22 pm »
Siraquaman64,
Thanks a lot for the info. I read some reviews on the car and they have quite mixed views. I should probably make some contact with local mercede dealer here to find out about the conditional deposit thing. When are you expecting to get your hands on a tester? I would love to read your opinions on the car.

BTW, what are the announced prices for the coupe (pure,pulse,passion)? Is there a website I can go get the information? Thanks.

X_ouch

Smart Car
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 12:26:06 am »
What makes you want to buy that car? Sira?

Ld500

Smart Car
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 12:37:55 am »
I drove one in Europe.  I can't remember if the engine was the same or not.  It was fun since I was on vacation but it really didn't corner very well, felt a bit unstable (short wheelbase), and was pretty slow.

It would be a great commuter car if you're caught in bumper to bumper traffic a lot.

However, it's no BMW Mini type car that is small and is zippy.  Cool factor for the Smart car was very high though, the interior was so neat.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Smart Car
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 07:48:49 am »
I'm still not convinced why someone would want a Smart instead of a Toyota Echo Hatchback, or even a Golf TDI. You get similar fuel economy with those 2 cars, and you get a lot more car for the money! I know the Smart is "cool" and everything... but it's way too much money IMO.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Smart Car
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 08:51:01 am »
im with you shnak...
its dumb!!!

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Smart Car
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 09:06:40 am »
well I'm not saying its dumb... some people don't want/need something bigger than the Smart... but I'm not so sure there are tons of people like that in Canada...

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
Smart Car
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 03:13:21 pm »

No there's not a huge market for it, and that's why M-B Canada has not announced how many will be available in '05CY.  

Pricing is a key consideration. It IS pricey. A/C isn't included, but if it were this would alleviate some of that glaring issue. The mid-level Passion coupe I ordered with A/C, power sunroof (deleting the glass roof), upgraded audio, and a few other do-dads totalled $21,500 before taxes. They start at $16,500 for the coupe, and $19,500 for the convertible. I think that perhaps the convertible is the better buy, as they will be more fun and it's harder to find a convertible at that price.  

www.smart.com or www.thesmart.ca will give you a great deal of info, including a detailed, printable options and price list.  

The Echo hatch is a neat car too, no doubt about it. I think they will be cross shopped more than an inexpensive Aveo or Accent would be, as the mindset of the buyers will be more Echo hatch/Mazda3/Prius/Golf TDi/MINI than anything else. A Golf TDi is a good $2,000+ more than the Smart.  

I wanted to get the car because:
-It gets some 86mpg highway. Damn, fuel costs will be next to nothing. Mind you, I think in the real world it would get closer to my Golf, which is much more comfy and more of a real car.  
-I also thought it very cool, and liked the fact that the car has bright colours, both inside and out. Very funky. Would bring a smile to my face.
-It's pretty safe, and I don't mind driving a car that size to Montreal or Florida or wherever I go now.  
-It's something very unique. Usually a car someone would stop you on the street to ask you about costs an arm and a leg - beyond the number of arms and legs I have! This'll be just about the least expensive thing that will have people talking.
-Enjoy my diesel. Not just the economy, but the character of it. On the road, I think it's quite quiet - quieter than my friend's 2.0L Golf, and the rumble is distinctive and satisfying. The torque on the highway is superb. I think more diesels should be available here, as they make sense (especially with particular filters) and it's what I prefer to drive.

I'm trying to see what insurance rates will be. The body is plastic, so it'll have no dents. And the engine has 40.2hp, and is limited to 135kph, so I'm wondering if premiums will be less. Mind you, the diminutive size may urge insurers to increase premiums. Will have to find out.

On the downside:
-Initial cost - about $1,800-$2,000 above my expectation
-No rear seat!!! Sometimes on occassion I cram 4 other people in my car to go to the bar, etc. Plus, I've moved to the States and back and packed my car full to do so; the Smart wouldn't have cut it.
-Reliability. Trying to find out how reliable they are, but all the electronic gizmos are the things that have caused problems on Benzes.
-Unknown resale value. Either the rarity will mean it holds it well, but I don't think they will. They don't have a back seat, and aren't as fun to drive as the Mini nor as powerful. I can't see them holding their value as well.  
-Interior quality and grade of plastic/materials leave lots to be desired.  

As I've said before, I'm thinking about it and will drive it next week hopefully. But I'm seriously reconsidering, and think other high-quality compacts will be available at lower cost in the next year. It's a toughie.

(Message edited by sirAQUAMAN64 on September 22, 2004)

Qazplm1999

Smart Car
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 04:53:21 pm »
Agree with Siraquaman64 on most of the comments. Cool factor is the most attractive to me, along with the close to none fuel economy, and the value is the most doubt I have. I don't know if the price will go down after the initial hype calms down, but I doubt it, because it does pack some of nice technologies in it.

Offline The Fuzz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1/-2
  • Will not fix tickets for donuts, carrots or b**bs.
    • View Profile
Smart Car
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 12:52:28 am »
I saw one on the back of a car carrier today going down Centennial Parkway. It is definitely small!
Everyone hates us until they need us.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Smart Car
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 01:45:34 pm »

Yeah, they should be arriving. Go on sale this week.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
Smart Car
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 02:47:18 pm »
I saw one today, parked a few blocks from my house.

Truly funky colour scheme:  blue/light blue circular patterns all intertwined.

Of course, when "truly funky" becomes "truly hideous", their slogan should change from "Get Smart" to "Sorry about that Chief!"  (geez, talk about dating myself)
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Jimmery

Smart Car
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2004, 07:57:26 pm »
I'd disagree with the thought of a low resale value for this car.  Small, good looking cars have a very lasting value.  Even ten years down the road, it will be valued for its looks along with its safety and excellent fuel economy.  These are very well engineered little cars, and in my opinion, are in a class above other sub-compacts.  And even though they aren't sports cars, I even see these things having potential as a collector's car, since they will be sold in low volumes, are very distinctive, and well engineered.  Years from now, we won't be remembering much about competitor cars such as the Echo hatchback, Kia Rio, or some other cheap commuter cars.  But cars with a touch of class, great handling, or other nice attributes, including the Smart Fortwo, Mini Cooper, Mazda Miata, Pontiac Solstice (maybe), and other fine little cars, will not be forgotten.  So, I really think the resale value should hold pretty well...  However, if the redesigned Fortwo (coming out in a few years) dramatically improves on things (which I would doubt), resale value might be lower than expected.  As far as I remember, this car is already in its second generation, and there have not been huge improvements made in either structure or design so far.  There's only so much you can pack into a tiny two seater...

Just my opinion...

X_ouch

Smart Car
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2004, 12:10:59 am »
There is one thing about the SMART CAR's body.

It's a one piece metal melted to shape. Maybe when you get a dent you wouldn't be able to fix it that easy .
http://www.eccentrifuge.com/rabies/kleine/benelux/cars.as.billboards/cow.smart.j pg

Saint11

Smart Car
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2004, 02:59:27 am »
saw one today. pretty fast little mothers squirtn around traffic and such.

Aruca

Smart Car
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 08:52:03 pm »
One good thing about the Smart is that you can drive it onto the golf course and most people would just think you've got a fancy golf cart!

X_ouch

Smart Car
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2004, 12:14:20 am »
Will you rollover on small hills :P?

Golfman

Smart Car
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2004, 02:29:49 am »
I admire the SMART for its innovation but.... wouldn't you feel a bit embarrased driving it? I just know that ignorant people would point and laugh as you drive by. If you can handle that then maybe its the car for you but I can't help but think the novelty would wear off. Still, it's nice to see an interesting and innovative small car being marketed in Canada. We don't get any of the many terrific French, Italian, and Japanese small cars here.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Smart Car
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2004, 08:36:42 am »
wouldn't you feel a bit embarrased driving it?

Women.  Maybe tire-biting sugar-daddy-seeking skanks like Porsches, but quality women would swoon if you drove a Smart.  Confidence, it's the secret.

Of course, if you're a blubbery fool that puts your fist in your mounth for first date entertainment, then even the Smart won't help...