Author Topic: Racing Games  (Read 9212 times)

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
Racing Games
« on: September 20, 2004, 03:01:22 pm »
Helping to populate/justify the new motorsport Heading!!  

What do you play, platform, and opinions?

I've got a PS2, an old classic, and still a fav is Gran Turismo A-spec (GT3)  GT4 is supposed to be out by X-mas.  The car physics was very good in this IMO for a console game, with the exception of damage of course.  With Damage Trial Mountain would cripple me every lap!!! :-)

Recently I have been playing Nascar Thunder 2004, and the highlight for this is the online capability.  I was online on Friday night for only the 2nd time.  There weren't many playing, only about a dozen in the room.  There was a good variety of experience in the players though.

First race, raced a guy that was 30-16 (w/l) He beat me, but I did respectable.
Next I got challenged by a guy, who I promptly trounced 3 races in a row.
He gave me a message:

"Good Game"

me:  thx

"I am 8 years old how old R U?"

Crap, there goes my enthusiasm for my victory!  Yeah I beat a 3rd grader!!!!  "a bit older"

"how old"

me "33"

"WOW!"

nice, I feel like Methusula.

"I am in Ohio"

me "I am in Canada"

"you type real slow"

Fak, have you ever tried typing just using the joystick and the onscreen keyboard thingy!  It's painful!!!!!

me "ohio has a great racetrack"

"My state doesn't have a track"

me "yes you do"

"no we don't"

me"Yes you do, Mid-Ohio, Champcars raced there"

"Do you have a brain?"

Nice, smacked down by an 8 year old gomer.  This ended my conversation, as we both ended up racing somewhere else....Next time I see him on the track I am going to Earnhardt him right into the pit wall!!!!!

Next night, had a nice chat on the headset with a guy in Tulsa OK, he was stoned and hammered, still beat me.  I couldn't believe how clear the headset conversation was.  It was realtime just like a telephone.  

Mdxtasy

Racing Games
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 03:05:10 pm »
I have an XBox with Project Gotham Racing 2 and a few others that I have forgotten about.  Haven't played it since January.  Like to do the live gaming....just no time.  

Good story though...watch out for those 8 year olds Neil....some will kick your arse left right and centre.  They have nothing else to do but just play their PS2.  

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
Racing Games
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 03:20:07 pm »
I hate to admit being intimidated by 8-year-olds, but that's prolly the biggest reason I haven't tried the live thing yet.  That and I'd have to drag a network line upstairs.  I spend too much time on it anyway and I'm trying to limit the kids to just weekends.  So far so good.

Oh as for platforms and games....

I've got an Xbox with a few racing games; PGR2, Colin McRae 4, and TOCA Race Driver 2.  I've also got a wheel and pedal setup on the PC for F1 2002, the Indycar series (pre IRL), and a couple of old Need for Speed titles.
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
Racing Games
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 04:55:39 pm »
Apparently there are some champcar mods for the F1 game on PC.  I don't have it (or the computer power to likely run it) so I haven't bothered.

Rumour has the Papyrus people (company went under I think) have started a new co that is developing a champcar "SIM".  Should be avail late '05.

Roadrunner

Racing Games
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 11:17:25 pm »
DSW, I've got the wheel and pedal setup too. You mentioned the Need For Speed. The one I've got is no doubt 'old' but it's NFS 111: Hot Pursuit and another one of Nascar Road Racing which I can't get to work dammit. My son got me a F1 game last Christmas and after trying to keep the buggers on the track for four months I finally gave it up and gave it back to him. This cpu I'm using is getting too old and slow for some of the newer stuff.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Racing Games
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 11:15:40 am »
Racing games are pretty much impossible to play if the PC can't process you inputs and refresh the screen fast enough.  Any new racing games for PC probably won't work too well on my P3 700MHz.  Besides, I'm enjoying the XBox racing games enough to keep me happy for a while.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Racing Games
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2004, 12:00:10 pm »
You have to type with playstation?  That blows, Xbox has voice com! :-)

PGR2 on Xbox is my game of choice, I still love it but live is dieing I need to find a new game.

nascar 2005 looks interesting.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Racing Games
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 12:30:29 pm »
Xbox has a game coming out that is supposed to be a rival to GT4.  I can't remember the name, though.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Racing Games
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 06:13:34 pm »
Found it -----> "Forza Motorsport"

In reading the reviews for GT4 for PS2, there was complaint that Porsche and Ferrari didn't provide licensing for their products to the developers of that game.  They're in "Forza", though.    Relase date is in Jan '05.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/544/544115p1.html

Mdxtasy

Racing Games
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 12:21:38 am »
The graphics look very disappointing for the XBox console.  Nonetheless...if it's got a Porsche....it should be fun.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Racing Games
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 08:38:03 am »
Those screenshots look awesome.

Thanks, I'll read about this.  Not many cars it seems from the list I saw.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Racing Games
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 05:55:05 pm »
Spent too much time on XBox this weekend.  I discovered I'm too old to forego sleep instead of sacrificing household and family stuff in order to get a racing game fix.  I played a little TOCA and more than a little PGR2 trying to unlock a couple more cars.  That American Muscle Car series is very challenging.

Mdxtasy

Racing Games
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 06:04:37 pm »
I'm too old to do that stuff.  It takes me days to recover now.  But every now and then....it's fun to pop the XBox on the big screen and fire up the surround sound to get some gaming fix in.  Try it with a steering wheel....it's even more challenging.  I want that Ferrari wheel...but it's hard to justify when the current one I have is sitting in my garage.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Racing Games
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 10:18:38 am »
Come on guys get with the program!  I think I played PGR2 for 3 hours last sunday :-)  I'm waiting for Forza!

I finally got all platinums in the arcade series races and time attacks, then all gold in the cone challenges.  I stop there.

I play on live but never lose, time for a new game.

DS The trick to american muscle is to be light on the gas coming out of corners and to brake early.  

I use to HATE those chicago tracks but I love them now, I figured out the trick.  You can go a lot wider than it looks like you can both coming in and going out, the trick is to brake REALLY hard just before the black marks on the road than turn in sharply and power out of the corner.  That series is pretty even as far as cars, I can run the GTO around those tracks almost as fast as the vette.

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Racing Games
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 12:28:47 pm »
Yeah I started out hating the street races on the Chicago tracks but as I get better at handling the 'Vette I'm liking thme a lot more.  

I've used that cornering technique by accident a few times, James, now it's to be able to do it consistently.  The trick I need to get better at is picking up the braking and turn in points.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Racing Games
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2004, 12:54:50 pm »
GT4 has been pushed back to 2005, AND rumors are that it won't have any online whatsoever. Pretty disapointing...

http://digitalentertainmentnews.com/news.php?story_id=6536