Author Topic: Acura TSX  (Read 26813 times)

X_ouch

Acura TSX
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2004, 11:50:39 pm »
The only way you can catch their attention is to act like you don't give a rat's ass about that specific car.

Just walk in, take a look at every car, then when the sales person comes to see you all you have to do is to say "oh I am good just having a look". So when he/she walks away you ask another sales person for help. This way  
1- you pissed the first one off
2- the second one feels a little special

My mom who doesn't speak englsih very well got invited to a test drive because the sales lady got sick of her. So I guess action > explaination.

But it's true some dealers are like that, especially Honda, Acura, Mazda and europeans'. It's like a standard for them to be such a jackass to buyers.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Acura TSX
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2004, 12:04:57 am »
Funny but I can't recall ever been treated poorly or had salespeople be rude to me. Sometimes I had to ask to see something or ask for someone to tell me some info; but I've never had some of the experiences others on here seem to have had. Funny about that ???
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Von_khan

Acura TSX
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2004, 12:05:23 am »
I wouldnt know MDX.. some sales people can be real pricks. I knew co workers on Bloor St. who walked with 10 ft poles up their bums.

I dont know man, Theres just this certian type of customer that makes you run around gives you a headache and never buys anything. I hated people like that.

X_ouch

Acura TSX
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2004, 12:08:46 am »
Customers are always right.  

If a customer can make you run around and still walk away without buying anything, then maybe something is wrong with you.

Mdxtasy

Acura TSX
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2004, 12:11:44 am »
It doesn't matter.  If a salesperson thinks that their time isn't worth my money....I move on.  

I've been treated badly on a couple of occasions.  BMW did it to me and a friend of mine when we looked at new vehicles (X5 for me and 330 for him) at the same dealership (on separate occasions).  Birks as described above.  A Honda dealership didn't give us the time of day when looking at the Pilot.  But on a whole, I've gotten good service more times that I've received bad service.

Von_khan

Acura TSX
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2004, 12:25:40 am »
No customers can be pricks. And if they act like it, I have a right to refuse my services.

Im glad Im out of retail sales. Hated running into people like X-ouch. Have been a nicer person ever since.

[Edited to be more polite].

(Message edited by von_khan on September 20, 2004)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Acura TSX
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2004, 12:36:26 pm »
Going back to the original post, I've been in Erin Mills Acura and found it to be okay.  Not great, not bad.  When researching which car I was going to get, I heard a number of good things about Erin Mills and had a few good experiences with Acura on Brant (Burlington); and as Dave said, also at Fairview Acura in Kitchener.  My buddy bought an Integra from Acura on Main years ago which is now under new ownership and in a new location as Hamilton Acura.  

B-K BMW in Waterloo (the same one Dave referred to) amazed me.  From day one they treated me with respect; their salespeople were knowledgeable and helpful and they proved to me that they wanted my business (and got it).  Budds' BMW in Oakville was also very good to me, but of all the dealerships I've dealt with, Audi Centre Oakville's sales staff have gone above and beyond the call of duty for me to ensure I'm happy -- I cannot say enough great stuff about these guys (and for anyone that wants it, I'll happily give you the name/ number of 'my' salesperson).

Converesly, I've encountered some more 'complacent' sales personnel at a few Honda dealerships and I've been down-right ignored at more than one Nissan dealership.  A few years ago I was trying to deal with a local Ford dealer for two vans for a corporate purchase -- they wouldn't even call me back -- the company stuck with GM as a result.

How you carry yourself will have an effect on the service you receive, but it still doesn't excuse crappy service.

Minh, if you want to be taken seriously and treated with the respect you feel you deserve (and rightfully so), then be professional in your behaviour too.  Call the dealership ahead of time and ask to speak to a salesperson about the particular car you're interested.  Speak clearly and maturely and make an appointment to see and drive the car.  Let the salesperson know you would like to take it for a good long run (ie. at least 20-30 minutes) and set up a time that will work for both of you.  Be on time, don't waste the salesperson's time and don't be a jerk behind the wheel.  I test drive cars in a manner that I would drive it if I owned the car.  I like to drive fairly fast on the highway and I like to enjoy my vehicle, but I'm not wreckless -- I don't take my car to the limits, nor should anyone on a test drive either.

If you do this and still don't receive adequate sales service, I'd consider a new dealership (or new make) if it were me.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Acura TSX
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2004, 12:57:14 pm »
Want them to ignore you?

Be young, that's the easiest way.  They all ignore me (except the BMW dealer actually!)  Want to buy an S2000 locally HA, only if I win the lottery apparently.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Acura TSX
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2004, 05:11:43 pm »
Well, the topic is okay, so I'll bite.

Many years ago I discovered that the cheapest way to own a car when you're driving 100K-km's or more a year was to buy a used Mercedes, drive it to 300-400K and sell it.

Then in 1997, I was driving a great deal less, and also decided to treat myself to a new car.  I went to Weber Motors in Edmonton, where I'd been having my older 190E serviced, and met a salesperson.  This was on Tuesday.  It was September, and I was driving my 911 turbo.  I explained to the salesperson that I wished to come in on Thursday evening to test drive the "new" (updated) C-Class, and if I liked it, would make a purchase that evening.  I arranged for my wife and I to be at the dealer at 5:30 sharp.

Well, Thursday came and 5:30 found us at the dealer.  Our salesperson was busy with another customer.  We waited.  And then we waited some more.  After 6:00, he finally joined us.  I re-explained that I wished to test drive a 1998 C230, and we would take it from there.  He (salesguy) explained that he would get a car for use to test.

It was nearly 7:30 before he had me sitting in a car, about to drive off the lot.  By this time, I was not the happiest customer, being tired and hungry.  I explained that I would consider trading my 190E, and could they appriase it while I was testing the new car.  Yes, came the reply.

We arrived back at the dealer at about 8:00.  I liked the C230, and decided to buy one.  Unfortunately, arriving back at Weber, they had not appraised my car.  We waited some more.  By 8:30, we were ready to talk deal.  I was also frustrated and angry.

I made them an offer.  The salesperson, Roland (who still works there, I think) explained that they did not have the exact car I wanted in stock, and we'd have to order it.  I said that would be fine.  He explained that they would require a deposit.  I thought that would be fine, since I was special ordereding a car.  He asked for $1500.

At this point, I thought that he had accepted my first offer, and we needed to leave a deposit to order the car.  To clarify, I went through it step by step, and then learned to my dismay that he wanted $1500 to CONSIDER the offer I had made.  Huh?  Pay to negotitate?  Not on your life.

Closing in on 9:00, I had wasted an entire evening with this ass-clown, and suddenly there was no way in hell I was going to buy a car from him.  I left the dealer angry.

A few days later I visited David Morris Mercedes.  Ken Lust, the salesmanager, came to "greet" me.  I was driving the old 626 (which I guess wasn't that old then...) and he immediately huffed at me when I explained that I was interested in a new C-Class.  He tossed a credit app at me, told me to go home and fill it out, and come back to talk about a new car.

Cripes.  No one was going to sell me a car.

I called Mike Edgar in Calgary.  He's one of the owners of Hyatt Auto Gallery, and I had met him some time before, and knew him casually.  I explained my problem, and he laughed.  I asked him if he would sell me a car, and he said yes!  I made an offer over the phone, and he interrupted me, explaining that they don't do much dickering, and quoted me a price nearly $250 below the offer I had made.  I accepted his offer, and we figured out when my car would arrive, having to be special ordered.  I asked if he required a deposit to order the car.  "Of course not."

It was December of 1997, and the weather was incredible.  It was about +10C and sunny, so I declined having the car shipped, and instead picked up it to drive home.  When the car came in, Hyatt flew me to Calgary, picked me up at the airport, and had my car waiting.  It was filled with gas and there was a box lunch on the seat.  Unknown to me, at my home, a service was busy delivering a gift basket filled with goodies and a thank-you card.

Since that day, my Dad bought a new C-class at Hyatt, my aunt bought a new C-Class from them, my cousin bought a late-model used car from them, my friend Abe bought TWO ML430's and my friend Len bought a new S430.  My Dentist traveled to Calgary to buy a new E-Class, and my Dad's doctor bought a new E-Class 4-matic.  None of those folks live in Calgary.

Today, I would stick a poker in my eye rather than buy a car at Weber or David Morris.

What's the problem?  Why the arrogance?  I was in my 30's, and on my first visit to Weber I was driving an expensive German car.  I was an existing Mercedes customer as well.  Heck, I was wearing a $1500 suit.  Where did I go wrong?  No Where!  The problem lies in the carny-atmosphere that is car sales.  Salespeople are treated a disposable dirt by the dealer.  Dealers encourage practices designed to pressure "ups" (you, the customer) and it's not restricted to buying a Neon.  Even Mercedes dealer's do it.

Now, as to our poster and his Acura dealer problem, it's caused by both sides.  I have owned a retail store, and I know about young tire-kicking time-robbing non-buyers.  However, it is possible to deal with them politely and possibly they will turn into buyers some day.  I had one young "gangsta" white black-wannabe that had been ogling high end in-car DVD gear.  I explained that once he was ready to go, to come back and we'd get rolling.  I explained about deposits on large systems, and gave him my card.  It took all of five minutes, maybe less.  Three months later he came in with his riche-rich Momma and dropped nearly $25K.

Saint11

Acura TSX
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2004, 06:23:34 pm »
well put john.  

car salesman are flipped like coins but still they should be a little more respectful. In around August last year I went with my brother to look at the mazda6. No one approached us which was fine. But at least they could answer our questions about finance and leasing rates. Went back with my parents 2 days later. Same salesman who didnt answer our question approached us being all nice. Let us test drive the car. Then told us mazda has a new fixed one price policy. No negotiations. Total BS. I called my friend who works at the ford dealer who knows the manager at that mazda dealership to workout a price for us. 2 days later we bought the car from a different salesman at the same dealership.  Fastforward to this August. Went to look at the mazda3. I was actually quite serious and I went with my parents again. They were very busy and no one approached us which was fine. I went to sit in the mazda3 and when i opened the door I gently nudged the salesman who made up the one price policy. He acts like a truck hit him and starts bad mouthing me in front of the customer. I told the customer what he did to me the first time I came. COst him the sale. Moral of the story. Don't be a dick.  

consumers who waste people's times are also idiots. if i am going in just to look around I never ask for help or anything even when it is offered.

Robarakira

Acura TSX
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2004, 12:58:49 am »
Hey guys, 'n gals. I'm an employee of Acura of Victoria.  Ask me anything.  I love the 2005 RSX btw.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Acura TSX
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2004, 01:02:59 am »
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you have read the rules regarding soliciting of business on here. If you're posting for general interest and to participate in OPEN MINDED discussions, fine. Others do that successfully. If you're here to push Acura, please don't bother as your reception will be unpleasant. Hopefully you are here as an ordinary poster. Enjoy it, it's a fun/informative place.

Robarakira

Acura TSX
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2004, 01:16:03 am »
Hey man, I like Acuras. I also like BMW's, Lexus', Benz', Porsches, Audi's, Volvo's,... the list goes on.  Cars are my life, which is why I work in the auto industry. But you better not think I'm here to sell Acuras. I just wanna allow people to use my knowledge/accessability to it if they want.      
btw i definitly do not sell cars at acura.
So with that, I'll tell you my favourite car is the M5.  I hope I have made my self clear.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Acura TSX
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2004, 01:25:10 am »
Robarakira - sounds good to me. It's pretty quiet this time of night but it'll pick up in the AM once the Maritimers and Central Canada posters get out of bed. Enjoy the Forum - it's one of the Best around and it's Canadian.

Mdxtasy

Acura TSX
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2004, 01:25:28 am »
We have a few members who work in the auto industry and it has worked well for us.  The ones who stick around are the ones who are impartial and provide knowledge and information that are not biased to whatever make they represent.  However, we've also been attacked by people who come in here and tell us how brand X is best and everything else is crap because they sell it.  

We've got posters who provide black book prices, invoice cost of vehicles etc....people who work in the industry provide invaluable information.  

welcome  welcome1

Robarakira

Acura TSX
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2004, 01:40:39 am »
Well I apreciate the warm welcomes... and I agree that descriminative minds ruin everything.  Sorry to hear about the jerks in the past who 'attacked' the group with their way of thinking.  SO anyway, I have been reading canadiandriver.com for a long time and love it! But I have never known about this post section. The pictures/articles from Canadiandriver.com are so amazing.  I must have used a hundred pix for my desktop by now.  But since we're on the topic of the TSX  - I wanted to talk about the 'rainbow-streaming' HID headlights which emit rainbow colours when looking at the headlight at the edges of the lit area. (hard to explain) When you shine the lights on a white wall, you can see that the HID makes little rainbow outlines where the edges of the light hit the wall.  This is also apparent when you drive towards another TSX, as the colours change from the headlight. I believe this is due to minute grooves in the glass projector.  What do you guys think of these HIDs? Distracting and should be outlawed? or clear and incredible?  All i can say is a lot of people never go back to regular halogens once they've had HID.
(the reason I talk about the TSX's HID's is because they seem to be the most distracting of all new cars with HIDs on the market - due to this 'rainbow streaming' effect)

Ghost

Acura TSX
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2004, 09:31:58 am »
TSX is alright. But I don't think I'd like to drive a 35k Accord. In fact the V6 Accord is prolly the better car as it has more grunt.

Winson

Acura TSX
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2004, 07:46:49 pm »
Both the TSX and the Accord V6 are nice cars. However I prefer the TSX's looks.

Mdxtasy

Acura TSX
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2004, 11:05:16 pm »
TSX nimbleness vs. V6 Accord grunt.  I like the interior of the TSX a bit more but I like the Accord's size.  You can't lose with either but I'd be more in tune to get a TSX.

Robarakira

Acura TSX
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2004, 12:17:08 am »
I gotta say that people who think the TSX's powerhouse is horrible compared to the Accord really should drive both cars to get a true opinion. I think the TSX is a driver's car (avaliable in 6manual or 5manumatic) which is nimble, revs higher and revs more quickly due to gear ratios and freer 4 cylinders compared to 6.  The Accord V6 sedan is a family car(only automatic and no manumatic) which may have more hp and torque, but less driving fun. I don't know about you, but I'll take a 6 speed over an auto any day.  AND NO, I'm not forcing my acura ways on you...I'm just saying what the TSX loses in power compared to the accord, it gains in driving pleasure.  Both cars have their strengths, but they are specifically designed for two different drivers. Which one are you?