Author Topic: Driving a hundred(ish) year old Ford Model T  (Read 325 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Driving a hundred(ish) year old Ford Model T
« on: October 10, 2024, 10:42:34 am »

Full write up here https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/driving-impressions/driving-impressions-ford-model-t-these-are-not-the-controls-you-are-used-to/ but my friend Rod and I finally got to experience driving a Ford Model T. These cars pre-date the standardized controls and offer a very different experience to pilot. The Reynolds-Alberta museum offers a Ford Model T driving experience as an add-on to their regular museum admission.

The throttle is operated by a lever on the column. Perhaps due to my experience with motorbikes, I found it relatively easy to adjust to this mechanism. Next up is the hand lever. In the all the way back position, closest to the seat, it puts the transmission in neutral and sets the parking brake. Towards half-way it is in neutral with hand brake off until you press the left pedal to go into low gear or the middle pedal for reverse. Fully toward the firewall is high gear. It helps to adjust the throttle a bit to smooth out these shifts between low and high gears.

The left pedal takes the car from neutral to engaging first gear once the hand lever is in the correct position. You do not ease it on rather like a modern clutch but firmly press it in one movement. It will move all the way to the floor once high gear is selected with the hand lever. The middle pedal is for reverse and operates much like the left pedal without a high gear. The right pedal serves as the brake, but its operation requires some consideration. We were instructed not to use the brakes while in high gear; instead, one must use the hand lever to select low gear/neutral first, and then apply the brakes. This process certainly requires time and forethought. Additionally, the brakes operate solely on the rear wheels.

A short video of the drive
https://youtu.be/GZ3xAHUCn2k

If you are ever in central Alberta in the summer I'd recommend it - https://reynoldsmuseum.ca/programs-experiences/adult-education

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Driving a hundred(ish) year old Ford Model T
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2024, 02:50:32 pm »
And to think I just explained how to operate a motorcycle to my girls and their brains bricked  ;D

Thanks for the tip - will definitely look into that when life brings me to AB! My grandfather called these "Ford à coup de pied", which would translate to "foot kick Fords". The hand throttle will be familiar to those with farm machinery experience like me!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2024, 02:59:42 pm »
Interesting drive. Way too complicated for modern drivers that’s for sure. Reminds me of getting a lesson how to drive a 5 & 4 transmission in a old Kenworth grain truck, my uncle could shift both the transmission, auxiliary trans(two separate shifters) steer, and run the Jake brake at the same time.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2024, 03:04:12 pm »
Man, I remember seeing videos of people operating these, what a complete faff. Saying that, a lot less chuckleheads trying to post selfies on Instagram at highway speed while operating one of these.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2024, 03:08:03 pm »
Interesting drive. Way too complicated for modern drivers that’s for sure. Reminds me of getting a lesson how to drive a 5 & 4 transmission in a old Kenworth grain truck, my uncle could shift both the transmission, auxiliary trans(two separate shifters) steer, and run the Jake brake at the same time.

By aux trans you mean these two speed rear ends? Or are the ranges on truck trannies actually linked to a 2-speed rear end? Add a driveshaft brake for even more fun  ;D

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2024, 04:06:59 pm »
A 5+4 is a 5 speed main and a 4 sp auxiliary transmission. Each with its own shifter.  Watch some YouTube videos of guys using them, often you need to be shifting both leavers at the same time.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2024, 04:31:04 pm »
^ Bonkers but I'd like to have a go at it!

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2024, 04:33:11 pm »
Man, we should've made this stop when we were in Drumheller and Dino Provincial Park back in 2018...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2024, 08:07:42 am »
Man, we should've made this stop when we were in Drumheller and Dino Provincial Park back in 2018...
I was in that same area in June 2015, would've been cool to see.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2024, 10:31:39 am »
That was really cool. Thanks for posting the video.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2024, 10:42:02 am »
^agreed!

Try eating a burger while driving with those controls lol!
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD