Author Topic: 2024 Chevrolet Trailblazer RS AWD  (Read 265 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
2024 Chevrolet Trailblazer RS AWD
« on: October 10, 2024, 09:10:56 am »
GM's family of subcompact SUVs never received much endorsment from the car guy tribes, this one included. But a funny thing happens when you actually get to drive the things - they're likeable. The gen-1 Encore was a refined Euro expat, designed in Korea for the Continent and a sales hit here. The 3-pot replacements got off to a slow start but are really gaining sales momentum, no stranger to the fact that the Trax is generating great reviews for the troop of four. I jumped into this right from the GX550, after a Crosstrek palate cleanser, and those vital 30-40 seconds where all your inner sensors go into reconfig mode to adapt to the new vehicle are critical to the shape of the review that will follow. Hop on.

https://www.autohebdo.net/editorial/20240813/chevrolet-trailblazer-rs-ti-2024-essai-routier/

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: 2024 Chevrolet Trailblazer RS AWD
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2024, 09:17:01 am »
Design

GM's on a roll these days. The wee Trailblazer integrates all of Chevy's current design language, Camaro tailights and all, in a very cohesive, youthful and cute as a button silhouette. The vibrant colours, two-tone arrangements and elegant wheel designs all combine to a very pleasing ensemble, the satin red RS interior bits here perfectly assorted to this $495 extra shade of red. You have to drive one to notice one, and I was amazed to see all of these Trailblazers around me - you hardly notice them in the wild, but there are plenty of them out there. Not quite as sexy as a CX-30, but a lot more cohesive than a Kona and certainly holding its own against a Seltos.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2024, 09:26:01 am »
Interior

Every trim has a vibe of its own, with RS being the "sporty urban" kind, hence satin red accents. This Chevy doesn't scream "cheap" - the fully digital IP and infotainement have crisp and simple graphics set over a deep black base, dash presents real contrast stitching, steering has that pleasing flat bottom. You also get a real gearshift, rotary dials for HVAC and audio volume. Textures create dimension to all the black, while a huge pano roof sheds natural light on everything, and the seats offer quite good support for something at this price point. Complaints? Steering column could telescope out a bit more, and the centre armrest is a tad too high.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2024, 09:35:50 am »
Power

Ah, the 3-pot. GM's subcompact SUV quatuor is split into two pairs: Trax/Envista, Trailblazer/Encore GX. The former are fwd-only and are powered by a 1.2 litre turbo 3 attached to a 9-speed automatic. For reasons known only to GM, the latter, when fwd, must do with a CVT. If you must avoid awd, please get a Trax/Envista - for less money, you'll get a roomier interior and a better transmission. Checking the awd box on the Trailblazer/Encore GX nets the 9-speeder and upgrades the engine to a mighty 1.3 litres of displacement. On tap are 155 horses, and of note the max torque (174 lb/ft) is available as soon as 1,600 rpm, so one may very well chirp a tire. The odd cylinder count allows for a personality that's generally lacking in this category. While no fury, the engine at least sounds interesting. While peppy enough around town, on the highway the lack of oomph is noticeable and passing requires planning. There is a Sport button, and as far as I can tell, it calls a light to come on - I have not noticed anything else.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2024, 09:41:33 am »
Driving

While my sensors were recalibrating to the new ride, one thing was readily apparent: the Trailblazer is WAY more refined than the Lexus GX550. Yes, ouch. Driven on the same horrid roads, the unibody is stiff, there's not a rattle or squeak to be heard, nor a clunk from the very basic suspensions. The low profile tires are very well adapted and filter out the smaller cracks that the GX amplified. The old Detroit trick is present: the first mm of go pedal travel are tuned to impress, and combined with chassis settings and steering they make for a playful puppy around town. Before long, you'll have to tires squealing for mercy on ramps, showing the limits are low, but safe.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2024, 09:50:05 am »
Value

The fwd LS trim opens things up at less than $30k, but is a fleet special even void of heated seats - get a Trax. A $2k tab added to LS and LT brings awd and the 9-speed auto, with the LT equipped at market expectations for about $33k, pretty much in the thick of the category. For $35,925, one gets to choose between my sporty RS tester or the outdoorsy ACTIV trim - not bad pricing for top trims, and there's plenty of paint options to personalize your ride. However, again in true Detroit fashion, there are options to conted with. As tested, my Trailblazer breached the $40k mark and at this level a mid trim Crosstrek or CX-5 would make more sense, especially since the 3 cylinder, once again, fails to offer a promise of improved fuel economy (9.3 urban for my week) in exchange for its odd configuration and lack of power.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2024, 09:53:08 am »
Ouch.  1/3 the price, and more refined than a Lexus GX.   :rofl2:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2024, 10:00:21 am »
Final Thoughts

With the Trailblazer I've now driven 3 of the 4 members of this compact SUV family. I came out impressed out of every one with how liveable they are, friendly little things to daily around, with sound ergonomics, reasonable comfort and really decent stereos. By now I've driven many variants of 3 cylinder engines here and abroad, but only abroad did the promise of superior fuel economy materialize (watch this space). I still think a decent 2 litre atmo four would have been a safer choice here in the long term, but 3 cylinders offer personality and that "half a 911" soundtrack. And perhaps this last quality is the redeeming one for this quatuor, and the reason for its healthy sales of late - the four wee GMs can be fined tuned to one's wishes and don't feel generic - or rental-car like.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2024, 01:48:19 pm »
I really like these, they look sharp and are decent vehicles at a price point. Every 3cyl I’ve driven had that unique growl, much more satisfying than a 4 imo.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2024, 02:42:43 pm »
I really like these, they look sharp and are decent vehicles at a price point. Every 3cyl I’ve driven had that unique growl, much more satisfying than a 4 imo.

Indeed, today's DI four bangers are a long way removed from the sewing-machine smooth Honda fours of the '90s. That 3 cylinder gruffy voice makes things interesting (that said, I've never set foot in a Mirage yet  ;D).

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2024, 02:44:43 pm »

Indeed, today's DI four bangers are a long way removed from the sewing-machine smooth Honda fours of the '90s. That 3 cylinder gruffy voice makes things interesting (that said, I've never set foot in a Mirage yet  ;D).

Theres a kid that lives in town here, hes got a Mirage with a 90s Civic worthy exhaust tip, does not sound good, by any measure  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2024, 02:55:16 pm »

I have a mirage right now 😝. Surprisingly it gets up the steep hills around here just fine, even with the CVT! It’s definitely noisy and has a different sound. I think the only thing I actually like about it is that 3 cyl engine.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2024, 03:50:37 pm »
 :rofl2: There's cheap and cheerful and then just plain old cheap!
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2024, 11:00:19 pm »

I have a mirage right now 😝. Surprisingly it gets up the steep hills around here just fine, even with the CVT! It’s definitely noisy and has a different sound. I think the only thing I actually like about it is that 3 cyl engine.

You can get a new one for $17k+tx and it comes with auto climate control, a/c, heated seats and a 10 yr warranty!! It is what it is, but it's priced like a dinged and rusted 10 y.o. 150,000 km+ Yaris  :P Just as they pull the plug on it it's starting to make sense...