Author Topic: Anyone Can Do This!  (Read 1131 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
Anyone Can Do This!
« on: October 05, 2024, 06:14:37 pm »
I know I've mentioned (as has Firm I believe) that anyone regardless of experience can polish a car.

So here's a little story.

I have a new-to-me car. I pulled it out and got it ready to polish. Neighbor is OLD car guy. Was lamenting that he never learned how to polish a car, it looks hard, ruin the paint, blah blah blah

So I give him my polisher and told him to polish my new car. Told him not to worry as it's virtually impossible to screw up. Gave him brief verbal tutorial. Set him loose.

Results of course are spectacular. You can see the extreme micro swirls in the 50/50 line. Black paint is the worst for this of course. But look at the results.

This from a 100 percent newb, 75+ years old who has difficulty doing some physical things. And yet, he was able to do this.

So my message to you guys on the fence...YES! You most definitely can do this.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2024, 07:13:47 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Anyone Can Do This!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2024, 08:05:09 pm »
I washed mine so long ago I don't know what colour it is  :rofl2:

You got a new car?  :popcorn:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline jaman

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +43/-573
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mazda CX-5 GX
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2024, 11:42:43 am »
Which product(s) did you use?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2024, 05:47:12 pm »
Which product(s) did you use?
These days I'm all about either All in One (AIO is polish and protection in one step, 3D HD Speed) or a Single Step (no protection, 3D HD One).

I found a long lasting super shine spray on topper wax/sealant I like (Shinee Wax) that I also use as a quick detailer, so I use Single Step these days.

But both are so good, either is my go to. I think personally, I still like HD Speed the best. Maybe just because I've used it so long? Finished results are pretty much the same, except you need a topper/sealant/wax with HD One.

Yesterday was 3D HD One. I typically pair either with Lake Country CCS Orange pads (light cutting) or, most recently Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber 50/50. That's what was used here. I'm still not sold on Uro-Fiber pads. I don't think they're better (for the money) than the CCS pads. But I've been using them since they are supposed to be "the" combo with HD One.

I use a 15mm long throw polisher by Torq but a Porter Cable 7424 is great and I used for many years previously.

Hope this long winded reply was helpful.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2024, 10:27:32 pm »
Nice! Personally, I’ve never had much success with black. I polish and it looks fantastic until the sun hits it, then it’s swirl city. Every. Single. Time.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +128/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra; 2012 Civic (Junior1), 2013 Sentra (Junior2)
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2024, 04:28:09 pm »
Good story Ron.  Now where's the S&S?  You are quite tardy on that  :stick:
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2024, 04:51:02 pm »
Nice! Personally, I’ve never had much success with black. I polish and it looks fantastic until the sun hits it, then it’s swirl city. Every. Single. Time.

That's what happened to me when i tried couple months ago.  I'll stay away from  that kind of stuff for a while

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2024, 05:53:59 pm »

That's what happened to me when i tried couple months ago.  I'll stay away from  that kind of stuff for a while
I haven't had any issues but I use a orbital.

You may have issues using something else possibly.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2024, 06:10:25 pm »

It's because i used a cheap 3" attachement from Amazon for a drill   ;D.   I only did a small corner on the tailgate though.  I did use it for my wife's headlight, it did a descend job.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2024, 06:09:46 am »

It's because i used a cheap 3" attachement from Amazon for a drill   ;D.   I only did a small corner on the tailgate though.  I did use it for my wife's headlight, it did a descend job.
Bingo.

Wrong tool for the job.