Author Topic: Canadian markets Skodas and Citroen 2CVs  (Read 263 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Canadian markets Skodas and Citroen 2CVs
« on: Yesterday at 03:35:28 pm »
In 1990 when I was ten years old and just getting really interested in cars I got the annual Carguide magazine. I pored over all the makes and models and basically memorized the stats of every car that you could buy new in Canada. One thing that sticks with me is that both the Citroen 2CV and Skoda 120 (or 125?) were listed in the guide.

I was already familiar with the 2CV because a family friend of ours in Paraguay had one and we had a picture of his. Just the thought of that picture is super nostalgic for me and the 2CV was probably one of the first car models I was aware of aside from cars that my family owned. At the time I had no idea that they were sold in Canada and I know production ended that year. I seem to remember the price being fairly steep (I want to say it was in the mid $20k range). Does anyone know the deal with these late 2CVs and how they were sold in Canada? Citroens were officially sold in Canada from the early 60s to early 70s so I suspect that these were being imported by an independent distributor but I've not been able to find anything online.

I'm similarly curious about Skoda. I had never even heard of Skoda and the 120 was a bit bizarre by 1990 standards: a 1.2 litre four cylinder mounted at the rear with RWD and just 54 hp. They are a bit funky looking and I know they rallied these. My understanding is that these were officially imported by a Skoda subsidiary and I have seen references to dealers in the mid 80s (apparently the Halifax Volvo dealership also sold Skodas) but they must have been importing only a handful by 1990 (also the last year).

There has been a single Canadian market 120 sold on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-skoda-120-gls/

Love how the frunk opens up.

Very simplistic engine bay.

Just thought these two cars were in an interesting footnote in Canadian automotive history. If anyone has any more details or stories please share!

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Canadian markets Skodas and Citroen 2CVs
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 03:40:37 pm »
My dads buddy had one of those back in Romania, I always thought it was cool, like way cooler than the other crap on the market over there.
Lighten up Francis.....

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:55:14 pm »
Believe it or not, I've driven a 1986, or 1987 Škoda 120, can't EXACTLY remember the year. My Aunt & Uncle bought it brand new back then & my cousin & I were just starting to drive. Her & I would carpool to high school & switch who drove on a weekly basis pretty much. She would get her parents   Škoda, while I would get my Mom's Renault Alliance. Both cars were pieces of crap, lol!!

They bought the Škoda instead of a Hyundai Pony, which would've been the far more reliable & better car, as sad as that sounds. The Škoda had absolutely no power, it was a 4 spd manual from what I remember. It was pretty spartan as well, no AC, or any luxury like that. Pretty sure it had manual steering as well. Problem was there wasn't much dealer support for them & it did break down on them quite a bit. Can't remember how long they had it, maybe 5yrs.

The Reliance was a POS as well, my parents bought that used & it never really ran well. Was having overheating issues & I remember my Dad & I working on the cooling system quite a few times. I remember when the starter was dying, I would have to take the tire iron & whack it a couple times & then it would start. Thankfully it was easy to replace. They dumped that in 1989 for a brand new Chevy Corsica :rofl:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:26:24 pm »
 My brotherinlaw had a mid to late eighties Skoda. His first car. Battery was under back seat I believe. I echo Gurgies comments ,piece of crap. He got rid of it in 1990. Traded it in for a new Acura Integra RS. The Skoda was parked next to the dumpster away from the other used cars.  ;D

2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 05:38:00 pm »
My brotherinlaw had a mid to late eighties Skoda. His first car. Battery was under back seat I believe. I echo Gurgies comments ,piece of crap. He got rid of it in 1990. Traded it in for a new Acura Integra RS. The Skoda was parked next to the dumpster away from the other used cars.  ;D

Reminds me of a joke I saw on the Skoda wiki page:

What do you call a Skoda with a sunroof?

A dumpster.

;D

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 05:42:03 pm »
The 120 was the last iteration of the rear engined Skodas that started with the 1000MBin the early 1960s.
Rear engines were popular for small cars at the time - Renault Dauphine/R8, NSU Prinz, BMW 700, Hillman Imp, Fiat 850 all the way to the Corvair.
Skoda improved it slowly, with the S100 and then the 120. It had a strange arrangement, with the engine in the rear and the radiator up front, we joked that all the power of the engine goes to the water pump.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:05:33 pm »
From what I remember they were fairly popular when I was in England in the 80's. They were cheap and somewhat decent, even had a bit of style

Probably the best of the Commie stuff

Put it in H!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07vdtBMG4Kg

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 06:07:07 pm »
From what I remember they were fairly popular when I was in England in the 80's. They were cheap and somewhat decent, even had a bit of style

Probably the best of the Commie stuff

Put it in H!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07vdtBMG4Kg

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Thats hilarious, my buddies and I still use, "PUT IT IN H!!!", quite frequently.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:30:34 pm »
I recall some Citroen DS (and variants) sold in Canada that seemed to end in the 70s. I do not recall ever seeing a 2CV around that was not imported at a later date as a classic car.

I've seen and recall Skodas from when they were new. There was a dealership in NW Calgary that sold them. They were always less common than Ladas. I've been tempted to buy one on occasion but the parts supply concerns are a worry. More rare are Dacias (Renault rebadge) and AROs. As I understand Dacias sold better in Quebec. Maybe 2CVs were similar?