Author Topic: Pennsylvania Motorcycle Road Trip  (Read 11076 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Pennsylvania Motorcycle Road Trip
« on: September 01, 2024, 09:42:52 am »
My first touring experience on the bike is in the books.  Not an enormous cross-country trek, but it was technically an international trip - and it involved luggage, overnight lodgings and dealing with all kinds of weather - so it counts!  ;D

Story first, then pics.

So as not to bury the lead, Pennsylvania is something approaching a biker paradise, with epic scenery and beautiful winding roads literally everywhere.

Once we got south of Buffalo and cleared NY State, we exited the highway and wound our way through northern Pennsylvania, southward towards Wellsboro.  Winding through green valleys and alongside countless rivers, we then traversed a series of rolling hills before descending to our destination.  Just getting there was the most epic ride of my admittedly short motorcycling life.

Day two saw nearly 600km of scenic riding.  We left just after breakfast, and returned late for our 7 pm dinner reservations - that's what I call a full day!  Most of the pics below are from that single ride.  They represent less than 10 per cent of the photos I took, which in turn represent less than 10 per cent of the photos we could have stopped an taken, but for the limited hours of daylight.  I easily hit more curves on this single day than in any year of riding in Ontario.

The ride home challenging. We departed through a cool morning mist, keeping our fingers crossed that we would stay ahead of an advancing line thunderstorms for as long as possible. Alas, not even an hour later the skies turned dark. We pulled over and quickly donned our rain gear.  A frighteningly close lightning strike sent us on our way through a worsening deluge. These were narrow, twisting, undulating country lanes. Visibility was poor and traction was tenuous. We took our time, carefully threading our way through forests and over steeply rising hills that fell away just as steeply. Thankfully, the border crossing was reasonably quick. One more brief deluge yielded to bright skies - which was good! Then came extreme heat and high winds - less good! 😃 All part of the adventure, and a safe return was all that mattered. 1400 km in three days, with very little of it on the highway.  Pennsylvania was just stunning. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Gear observations.  First - I can't say enough about the Kriega dry pack for anyone not rocking solid panniers.  Multiple sizes and stackable, the 20l proved sufficient for me for the 2-night trip, with the rain gear strapped on top with webbing.  Speaking of rain gear, The Revi't rain jacket, pants and boots kept me 100% dry through all of the journey home.  Finally, when riding from morning to night, and through bright sunshine and black thunderstorms, the photochromic transitions visor proved to be well worth the considerable extra expense,  I just always had the right amount of tint - from dark smoke to clear - and never had to think about a visor swap.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 08:33:08 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Pennsylvania Motorcycle Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2024, 09:46:22 am »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 09:38:59 am »
That's more curves in 11 pictures than you'd see in MB riding in a...decade. That looks like a hoot.  Feel free to add another 10% of your pics anytime!  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 11:15:14 am »
That's more curves in 11 pictures than you'd see in MB riding in a...decade. That looks like a hoot.  Feel free to add another 10% of your pics anytime!  ;D

Cheers. It was a ridiculous amount of curves.  ;D On the ride home in the rain, I was like - enough already - give me just one straight km, please!  :rofl2: Steep downhill into a decreasing radius turn is fun in the dry, but slightly terrifying in the wet.  :-X

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 08:53:17 pm »
That looks like a wonderful adventure. That are all sort of amazing roads somewhat close to here but most of them are gravel. Those looks nice and smooth with amenities along the way! I'd love to try that region one day.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2024, 10:40:06 pm »
Finally had a bit of free time to read the entire post & look at your pictures. Thanks for sharing, looks like a great time!

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2024, 12:29:10 am »
Nice! Coming from the prairies, am always amazed now much chopped up bush country there is in the Eastern US

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2024, 08:36:08 am »
That looks like a wonderful adventure. That are all sort of amazing roads somewhat close to here but most of them are gravel. Those looks nice and smooth with amenities along the way! I'd love to try that region one day.

The BDRs throughout Pennsylvania are pretty epic.  I didn't ride any, but the larger part of the group did nothin but, and I looked over their maps.

Finally had a bit of free time to read the entire post & look at your pictures. Thanks for sharing, looks like a great time!

Cheer, Gurgie.  :cheers:

Nice! Coming from the prairies, am always amazed now much chopped up bush country there is in the Eastern US

Straight and flat are NOT on the menu.  ;D

From Oakville, all of this riding splendor is closer than Ottawa.  I'll definitely take advantage more regularly going forward.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2024, 09:40:37 am »
Looks like a nice trip.  Gorgeous landscape!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2024, 09:58:32 am »
Great adventure, story, and pictures :thumbup:

Having driven and cycled through PA, I know how fun those back roads are. I remember "following" a Focus ST with my GTI and it was so much fun.

Don't forget about Vermont and New Hampshire, They also have many amazing roads.  You might have to retire early so you can get out there and explore more. Or just work in the winter months.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2024, 10:09:41 am »
Great photos as usual Jaeger.  Looks like an awesome trip. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 11:31:57 am by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2024, 10:18:41 am »
Awesome! Looks like it was a great trip.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2024, 10:37:55 am »
It's telling how much you've progressed as rider that you're comfortable taking longer trips like this, and tackling roads like these in the rain, too.  Good on You!  Look back on yourself a few years ago when you first got your motorcycle, and how far you've come.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2024, 11:54:22 am »
Great photos, and it sounds like a really solid trip.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2024, 12:43:30 pm »
By the way, this was our route on day 2 - good thing I'm not prone to motion sickness.  :rofl2:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2024, 12:49:05 pm »
Looks like a nice trip.  Gorgeous landscape!

It really was a feast for the eyes.

Great adventure, story, and pictures :thumbup:

Having driven and cycled through PA, I know how fun those back roads are. I remember "following" a Focus ST with my GTI and it was so much fun.

Don't forget about Vermont and New Hampshire, They also have many amazing roads.  You might have to retire early so you can get out there and explore more. Or just work in the winter months.

Cheers bud.  I have driven to Vermont, and onwards to Maine - definitely a lot of worthy options to explore on the bike.  And I don't doubt you would have enjoyed cycling through PA - but I would have died  ;D the roads are rarely flat, which is my happy place when I'm pushing pedals.  :)

Great photos as usual Jaeger.  Looks like an awesome trip.

Much appreciated - it was awesome indeed.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2024, 12:55:26 pm »
Awesome! Looks like it was a great trip.

Cheers - can't wait to try it again!

It's telling how much you've progressed as rider that you're comfortable taking longer trips like this, and tackling roads like these in the rain, too.  Good on You!  Look back on yourself a few years ago when you first got your motorcycle, and how far you've come.

Much appreciated!  This one certainly expanded my comfort envelope - both in terms of the length of the ride and in terms of the technical demands. First time experiencing a steep downhill drop on a wet road that terminated in a tight decreasing-radius turn was certainly eye-opening.  :o Not to mention just figuring out all the gear solutions needed for touirng.

Great photos, and it sounds like a really solid trip.

Thank you!

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2024, 09:01:53 pm »
Wow, great looking trip and amazing photos! 

Where will your next road trip be taking you?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 08:08:00 am »
Wow, great looking trip and amazing photos! 

Where will your next road trip be taking you?

Cheers!

I feel sure I'll return to Pennsylvania.  I also have an open invitation with a friend who rides down to the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee at least once each season, but that is 3 times as far and I don't think that stretch of road has anything on Penn.  Might make it a longer stay next time.

I would like to explore more of northern Ontario on the bike - some good riding around Algonquin.  I'd also REALLY like to ride the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton - just not super keen on riding all the way TO Cape Breton.  Long highway stretches on a naked bike are pretty exhausting due to wind blast.

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 11:58:48 am »
Thanks for the write-up and pictures.  It sounds like you had an amazing time.

Pennsylvania was also one of my favourite places to go touring when I was still riding 20 years ago. I used St. Marys as a base.  I wish I could remember the name of this one road, but it was curve after curve for several miles. Hwy 555 was also a great road.

Cheers!

I feel sure I'll return to Pennsylvania.  I also have an open invitation with a friend who rides down to the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee at least once each season, but that is 3 times as far and I don't think that stretch of road has anything on Penn.  Might make it a longer stay next time.

I had the chance to ride down to the Tail of the Dragon as one of my last trips.  It was incredible. Just getting there on the Blue Ridge Parkway was worth the admittedly long ride.  The TotD was a nice stretch of road, but my favourite was the Cherohala Skyway.  Same twisties as the Tail, but with gorgeous scenery mixed in.  And there were also a ton of other amazing roads to ride.  I did ride a bike with a decent-sized fairing (Honda VFR800), so the highway riding wasn't too bad.  YMMV, but I would definitely recommend the trip down there at least once.
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish