Author Topic: 2024 Subaru WRX RS  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
2024 Subaru WRX RS
« on: August 23, 2024, 08:31:18 am »
Some Monday mornings are better than others  :) Dropped the Crossie, got the keys to the Rexie. Two are parked outside, lookin' sharp. One red GT/CVT, one blue RS/shtick. Which one will it be? I click on the fob's unlock button. Mrs Blue here blinks at me. The flirt is on.

https://www.autohebdo.net/editorial/20240702/subaru-wrx-rs-2024-essai-routier/

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: 2024 Subaru WRX RS
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2024, 08:40:06 am »
Design

Subaru was often late with WRX redesigns, and the previous car skipped an entire Impreza generation, the pre-2017 design staying on thru the 2021 model year. In a complete 180°, Subaru launched the next generation of its compact with the WRX in 2022, two model years before the Impreza/Crosstrek. In yet another twist, the WRX only comes as a sedan, while the 'Rezza is hatch-only. So if you want a 3-box Impreza, this is it.

This car's cladding lit up the web at launch, but when viewed in person it just works. This is a gravel kicker, after all. The design is rakish, with a low front end and a high tail supported by wide hips. The WRX imposes respect, looks ready to pounce. The RS' exclusive and intricate gunmetal 19" wheels look sharp and work wonders with this RS-exclusive shade of blue. And that functional air scoop looks like it means business, and you can see it from the driver's seat, giving out a muscle-car vibe seldom seen today.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2024, 08:45:58 am »
Interior

The RS trim comes with a pair of frame-hugging Recaros, and seats + IP are splashed with an Alcantara-like fabrix that adds a luxury touch to this very business-like interior. 50 shades of black dominate, with nice red stitching details. Subie's 11.6" screen dominates up front and center, and its large buttons / black backgroud add a touch of class. Analog instruments are clear, sightlines are panoramic à la Subaru and the whole thing gives out Audi vibes that Audi can't do anymore, having surrendered to gimmicks. While not as big as other compacts, the WRX' interior is plenty practical, with two six-footers able to fit in the back.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2024, 08:54:12 am »
Power

On paper, this is an Ascent engine. On paper. The 2.4 turbo boxer four pumps out 271 horses, the intercooler standing smack in the airflow of that super scooper on the hood. The 6-speed is a joy to row, but the rev-happy mill has a rather low redline for a sport compact, set at 6,000 rpms. I hit the rev limiter many times in 2nd gear, surfing on all that turbo torque. The 0-60 is a 6 s job, and surprise surprise the CVT version is supposedly just as quick. On a day to day basis, the exhaust drone can get tiring though, especially on a cold engine where it's very loud. From outside the car, the soundtrack is flat bill all the way. Pure highway travel will yield a Crosstrek-like 8.2 l/100 km, but traffic slicing and dicing doesn't come free, with a 10.7 avg for the week - and the Rexie requires premium gas.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2024, 09:03:53 am »
Driving

The RS, new for 2024, is the sport model of a sporty model. You get 19" alloys, thinner sidewalls, sticky tires, Brembo brakes, sunroof-selete, Recaros and cinder block suspension upgrades. This car is STIFF. As in stays-flat-in-curves stiff. Grip appears unlimited - take ramps at stupid speeds and it just takes them. Like cutting meat with a very expensive fine knife, it does the job with utmost precision - provided the roads are nice.

Montreal's West Island - where all the pressers live - has the worst pavements in the region. The RS bouces, jumps and beats you up on bad roads. You can't have speed and presision if you feel like a tennis ball in a dryer. A parts run for the TR6 had be driving on other bad roads, and a nasty expansion joint knocked the wind out of me, and got me worried about messing up my back - it's THAT bad.

So unless you're driving on perfect roads and attend track days, avoid the RS. The base trim has 17" tires with more sidewall, the others 18". Subaru apparently noticed they went too far, and the RS is axed for 2025, replaced by the tS (for "tuned by STi"). Basically, it's the same tin-top tuner special, but with the GT's electronic shocks. I bet these bring welcome help for bad road days, as once I got the Rexie on my usual turf, it was quite tolerable.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2024, 09:11:45 am »
Value

At $36k all in but taxes, the base WRX is a performance bargain, but the requisite upgrade to the next step, Sport (single screen, sunroof, smart key, power seat, etc.), breaches the $40k mark. For $44k, give or take grocery money, you get your pick between the track special RS or the loaded Sport-Tech. The leathered and CVT'd GT closes the march at $47k, which is getting way up there. So the WRX is not quite the bargain it once was, but come to think of it, it never was really cheap, and today's car challenges the performance enveloppe of the old (and pricey) STi models, so there's that. I'd grab a Sport myself, its pricing in the ball park with a Mazda3 GT Turbo's, its closest competitor.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2024, 09:18:12 am »
Final thoughts

Let's be honest here - they had to fight to get the keys back. There's something about Subarus that just nail what I want in a car. The simple interfaces, great visibility, right height, awd, practicality, fantastic stereo, grunty powertrain, who-gives-a-f***-about-winter awd greatness - it just speaks to me. Add a stick and that shade of blue and the want was really, really high. Wife actually liked it. Would dd2 like a clean, one-owner '22 Crossie? But reality sets in, and as long as we're not empty nesters we can't have a 3-pedal daily driver. And this RS is just too damn stiff for the real world. But with the GT's magical shocks ... next year ... hmmm...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2024, 09:23:06 am »
A colleague of mine was interested in the WRX and went to look at an RS. His partner was not a fan and they ended up with a Forester.

The thing that bugs me about Subaru is the mish mash of trim levels. The RS and Sport-tech are basically the same price but have different features. I wish the RS was just a package on top of the regular trims so that you could pair it with all the other features.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2024, 09:32:03 am »
A colleague of mine was interested in the WRX and went to look at an RS. His partner was not a fan and they ended up with a Forester.

The thing that bugs me about Subaru is the mish mash of trim levels. The RS and Sport-tech are basically the same price but have different features. I wish the RS was just a package on top of the regular trims so that you could pair it with all the other features.

The base has a physical key ignition, the twin screen and a manual seat - pretty basic.

The Sport adds what most people want. The RS is a track-focused Sport, with more hardware but sunroof-delete, a nod to past tuner versions (lower weight / center of gravity), so it's kinda a pkg on top of Sport. Sport-Tech is a Sport that adds an h/k stereo, built-in satnav and more driver aids. GT is an Audi A4 basically. Sport offers an optional CVT, GT has it std.

The 11.6" screen in the Sport comes with a stereo upgrade, and while it's not quite at h/k level, it's really good. It's the sweet spot of the line-up.

Edit - the droning exhaust, in all trims, is a bit much, and definitely a partner-repellent.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2024, 10:13:17 am »

The base has a physical key ignition, the twin screen and a manual seat - pretty basic.

The Sport adds what most people want. The RS is a track-focused Sport, with more hardware but sunroof-delete, a nod to past tuner versions (lower weight / center of gravity), so it's kinda a pkg on top of Sport. Sport-Tech is a Sport that adds an h/k stereo, built-in satnav and more driver aids. GT is an Audi A4 basically. Sport offers an optional CVT, GT has it std.

The 11.6" screen in the Sport comes with a stereo upgrade, and while it's not quite at h/k level, it's really good. It's the sweet spot of the line-up.

Edit - the droning exhaust, in all trims, is a bit much, and definitely a partner-repellent.

Yeah the Sport is the minimum trim for me. My friend has a 2017 base it's fine but lacks a few things I would want.

I'd love the RS hardware and Recaros with the H/K stereo and sunroof.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2024, 01:10:28 pm »
The more I see VB WRXs on the road, the more I warm up to them, cladding and all.

Btw, regarding the mileage you're getting, take the local mileage, that's my STI's highway mileage. Local roads are 12+, lol. My lifetime is about 12.2.

Also, yeah Montreal, and Quebec roads in general, are horrible. Crazy potholes everywhere. Having said that, we've taken my STI on a family trip there from GTA. Was fine, just needed to be more aware of road conditions and avoid the holes/ruts.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2024, 01:42:47 pm »
Was tempted by the WRX when we were shopping 2 years ago, especially the base manual with the $360/ month lease deal in AB

Despite the lack of a hatch, if single probably would have done it, especially if living somewhere where the commute had less traffic. Seems like a fun all weather motorcycle replacement

Same car now is $476.00/month, quite a jump

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2024, 03:53:19 pm »
Yeah, I was really tempted by that early base model as well. Had everything I wanted, price was great, and it didn’t have that gawdawful, ginormous screen in the dash.  :P

It’s a real shame, because aside from that horrible dash, I think this is the best looking WRX ever.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2024, 06:20:18 pm »
Body cladding is horrific...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2024, 07:04:43 pm »
Agreed, I feel like the interiors have gotten better but the exterior has gotten worse over the last two gens.   It to mention the performance hasn’t really improved much over the past two gens.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2024, 08:24:23 am »

Fixed  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2024, 08:40:53 am »
Agreed, I feel like the interiors have gotten better but the exterior has gotten worse over the last two gens.   It to mention the performance hasn’t really improved much over the past two gens.

I just don't understand who wants that kind of cladding on a WRX. Seems like an answer to a question no one asked.

If people really do want it, sell plastic flares as an accessory.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2024, 08:55:04 am »

I just don't understand who wants that kind of cladding on a WRX. Seems like an answer to a question no one asked.

As most journalists have mentioned, they're not that bad in person, and with my tester's blue paint they accented the whole "rally car" vibe. Seeing a previous-gen car, it looked naked, and dated. The current car is really sharp in person.

I would rock a Sport trim for a dd ... maybe even with a lift kit to make it more back-friendly.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2024, 10:08:34 am »

As most journalists have mentioned, they're not that bad in person, and with my tester's blue paint they accented the whole "rally car" vibe. Seeing a previous-gen car, it looked naked, and dated. The current car is really sharp in person.

I dunno why journalists are apologizing for it. "Not that bad in person" isn't really a ringing endorsement. While I'm sure Subaru is printing money with their fugly Wilderness models there's no need to add that crap to every WRX. They could add a lifted WRX Wilderness model with black plastic cladding for all I care but there's zero reason to put that crap on something that isn't pretending to be a crossover.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2024, 10:40:39 am »
I mostly like it from a functional point of view. I’d be driving my WRX on gravel roads and in crappy winter conditions (they don’t sand the roads here, they use rocks  :P .)

Every car I’ve owned has eventually developed rust around the wheel arches from all the crap that gets flung up. Seems to me that the factory cladding should prevent most of that.

Function over form as far as I’m concerned. At the end of the day it’s just a sporty econobox daily driver. It’s not like if Ferrari had gone and put fender flares on their new 296.  :P