Author Topic: Spend My Money Part 2 - Wifey's Car  (Read 25665 times)

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
Re: Spend My Money Part 2 - Wifey's Car
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2024, 12:53:30 pm »
FWIW, I think the leading candidate right now is a RAV4 Hybrid Limited.  There are a couple arriving in October, which would meet our timeline.

JohnnyMac, am I crazy or did you (or your wife) have one of these for a time? If so, what did you think of it?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2024, 01:23:56 pm »
FWIW, I think the leading candidate right now is a RAV4 Hybrid Limited.  There are a couple arriving in October, which would meet our timeline.

JohnnyMac, am I crazy or did you (or your wife) have one of these for a time? If so, what did you think of it?
Yes we had ours for two years, at which point it was worth around $10K more than what we paid new, so of course I convinced my wife to swap it out.

So I'll give you two opinions, mine and my wife's because they are quite different.

My wife LOVES the exterior looks of these, she loved the fuel economy, and felt some sort of pride in owning a Hybrid.

I thought the exterior was decent to look at, the interior to be incredibly blah, the drive to be fairly blah, but did like the fuel economy. 

We both agreed that the seats were horrible for long drives, she still talks about the torture she endured on her trip to NL to visit her folks.

Never really had an issue with ours, but then we only had it for 2 years and around 20,000kms.  It didn't help that our dealer here in Fredericton for service is horrible and the thought of dealing with them for another year (had 3 years of service free) was not something I was looking forward to.

But that's just the opinion of two people, don't let our experience taint your decision.  The Rav4 is a perfectly fine vehicle, it'll get you to where you need to go efficiently, reliably, and be worth decent coin when you are done with it.  I just personally want all that and some personality and "luxury".

Have you not tried the CR-V Hybrid, I think there are a bunch here in Fredericton https://www.riverviewhonda.ca/vehicles/new/?sc=new&mk=Honda&md=CR-V%20Hybrid
When is the Mazda CX-50 supposed to get their Hybrid version, best of both worlds, Toyota Rav4 Hybrid tech but Mazda styling and interior quality.

Edit:  I see that the Honda Hybrid has a $1,000 "finance bonus" and their interest rates are quite a bit less depending on the term.  And if you are the type to buy extended warranties the Honda's are cheaper overall for that as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 01:29:35 pm by JohnnyMac »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2024, 10:08:56 pm »

My folks have a 2024 Rav4 Hybrid XLE Premium. They love it - excellent fuel economy, they find it comfortable, with a compliant ride, and it looks great.

They do find it a tad noisy when the gas engine kicks in during acceleration and at highway speeds (wind/road). They are comparing this to the Lexus NX (which I bought off them). It is very smooth when it is on EV mode at low speeds.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2024, 10:37:31 am »

Some initial opinions.

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=121982.msg1680703#msg1680703

I never tested the CRV Hybrid but from all my research it get less f/e on the hwy (maybe 10% less), cost more (I was paying cash so the financing deal wouldn't help me), and is a bigger car and I didn't want anything bigger. I do think it is worth a test drive though.  Also, the CRV can only use the battery or engine, not both like Toyota's system. Not sure if that matter to you or not.

CX-50 Hyrbid is supposed to be coming in the fall, end of the year....or being Mazda, sometime next spring.  I really like the looks of the CX-50 but it is also longer than the RAV. Pricing is pretty much the same as the RAV trims (excluding lower level trims). While Mazda has nicer interiors, I'm one of the few that really like the RAV's interior.  Maybe I have low standards.

Even if you are only thinking about getting a RAV, put your money down now to get the process started. If you change your mind, just get your money back. Don't think there are any wait times for the CRV (why is that?), and no idea about Mazda.

Can't wait to see what you buy.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2024, 09:03:46 am »
We test drove a CR-V Touring yesterday, the hybrid powertrain is very refined and really quite impressive.  But at $51k the interior is pretty "meh" and given you're knocking on the door of much more premium vehicles price-wise, I think the CR-V is being put on the back burner by my wife.  Here's the strange thing....it's generally the same materials as our Pilot.  I have no idea why it just feels cheap in the CR-V but acceptable on the Pilot. Maybe the larger vehicle size and substantial road feel and presence makes up for it? No idea.  Also, the seat are too shallow and I'm not sure I could get around this....and I'm only 6'.  I played with the seats long enough to consider this a deal breaker, there is just no way I could road-trip it.

We also drove the RDX which was impressive....as I expected, since my parents have current generation MDX and TLX.  The powertrain is a little unrefined in my opinion, but that's reality with 4-cylinder turbos.  The steering had a nice weight to it and the ride quality was good (although not as isolating as the CR-V, if that's your thing).  My wife says it drives like a sports car compared to the CR-V.  It's also miles ahead in terms of being a nice place to be, material quality, seats, etc, despite the silly touch pad for navigating the infotainment.  Fully loaded, the price is attractive relative to the Germans....the Q5 can be had with similar equipment at a similar price, but we are wary of reliability of the X3/Q5/GLC trio since this is intended to be another 10-year vehicle.

So, I don't know where this currently stands, but if pushed to buy something today, I think she's picking an RDX.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2024, 02:25:45 pm by valuator »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2024, 11:05:01 am »
Have you driven a top spec RAV4 Hybrid yet to compare?

The least shocking thing is how much better the RDX is compared to mainstream stuff.

What other vehicles have you driven so far?

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2024, 02:31:19 pm »

The least shocking thing is how much better the RDX is compared to mainstream stuff.

That's it so far.  No RAV4 available to be test driven in Moncton, much less a high trim and/or hybrid.  I'm not even sure what else to drive, it feels like there are fewer viable options than there should be.  The Kia/Hyundai products are out, the Germans are out, and there is very little compelling from GM or Ford in this size range.  Lincoln Nautilus or Corsair don't have a price or expected reliability advantage to bring them into the conversation.  Wife not interested in Cadillac, and Lexus and Volvo don't have a local dealership.  FWIW my wife also says she would feel self-conscious driving an X3/Q5/GLC to work these days and feels like the Acura is very nice but doesn't raise any eyebrows.  It's a little bit ridiculous, but she's almost a badge snob in the opposite direction.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2024, 02:34:02 pm »

That's it so far.  No RAV4 available to be test driven in Moncton, much less a high trim and/or hybrid.  I'm not even sure what else to drive, it feels like there are fewer viable options than there should be.  The Kia/Hyundai products are out, the Germans are out, and there is very little compelling from GM or Ford in this size range.  Lincoln Nautilus or Corsair don't have a price or expected reliability advantage to bring them into the conversation.  Wife not interested in Cadillac, and Lexus and Volvo don't have a local dealership.  FWIW my wife also says she would feel self-conscious driving an X3/Q5/GLC to work these days and feels like the Acura is very nice but doesn't raise any eyebrows.  It's a little bit ridiculous, but she's almost a badge snob in the opposite direction.
Is Mazda off the list also?  I know you crossed off Mitsubishi and Nissan.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2024, 02:44:39 pm »

Is Mazda off the list also?  I know you crossed off Mitsubishi and Nissan.

I'd like her to test drive the CX-5 and CX-50.  She likes the looks of the CX-70 but then realized when we took a look in person, it's just too big for her.  She will probably book another afternoon off of work in September and we will try to squeeze in a few more test drives.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2024, 03:50:42 pm »
I would definitely look at the CX-5/CX-50. I would also look at the Venza, but sounds like it would be hard to find one. Toyota is discontinuing it after this year and replacing it with the Crown Signia.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2024, 06:08:29 pm »
Good buddy just picked up a CX50. Definitely worth a look. I think they're a step up in interior quality from the CRV and RAV4. Plus you have the option of the turbo for a bit more oomph.

You lose out on a bit of space though.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2024, 06:56:22 pm by JG20 »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2024, 06:56:46 pm »
Maybe by Sept the hybrid CX-50 will be out:

https://www.mazda.ca/en/vehicles/cx-50-hybrid/

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2024, 10:41:29 am »
Good buddy just picked up a CX50. Definitely worth a look. I think they're a step up in interior quality from the CRV and RAV4. Plus you have the option of the turbo for a bit more oomph.

You lose out on a bit of space though.

Mazda interiors have definitely taken a nice step up.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2024, 08:00:39 am »

Funny enough, I was in Acadia Toyota just last week, driving through with Toyota's 60 yr b-day cross-Canada roadtrip. Our group's Crown Signia (hybrid) might fill the bill. but $68k as-tested.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2024, 08:59:04 am »

Funny enough, I was in Acadia Toyota just last week, driving through with Toyota's 60 yr b-day cross-Canada roadtrip. Our group's Crown Signia (hybrid) might fill the bill. but $68k as-tested.
The only issue is that the regular Signia (non-wagon/CUV) is quite ugly to look at.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2024, 09:51:08 am »

The only issue is that the regular Signia (non-wagon/CUV) is quite ugly to look at.

The one we had got quite admiring stares from the public, none of whom knew what it was. Of course, we did not have the horrendous two-tone on it. Our sedan was pearl white, with a nicely done black and white interior.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2024, 11:58:48 am »
Wife is now fixated on a 2024 X3 (before the 2025 come out that look like a mini XM).  Wish me luck on another FGC journey.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2024, 12:20:44 pm »
Took me three years and a grandchild to get my wife to settle on a different vehicle, so you're doing just fine in comparison!

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2024, 10:21:45 am »
Apparently the infatuation with the X3 was fleeting  :rofl2:

I'm planning to do a deal on a 2024 RDX Platinum Elite A-Spec later this week.  $1,200 price increase in 2025 plus $2,500 cash on the hood creates enough of a gap that I'm happy to take a 2024.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-406
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '99 S 500 LWB, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2024, 05:02:27 pm »
The RDX is a really nice car. Enjoy it!
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks