Author Topic: Spend My Money Part 2 - Wifey's Car  (Read 23976 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Spend My Money Part 2 - Wifey's Car
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2024, 01:59:05 pm »
One that always seems to be missed that people forget about, the Nissan Murano.  NA V6, proven powertrain at this point, smaller size, has a large sunroof, decently appointed, has some great zero gravity seats, and pricing is good.  I have a doctor friend that I helped buy one about 12 years ago and she's still driving hers.  It's Japanese without a lot of complexity of turbos, hybrid, etc. 

If nothing else, I say go to your local dealer and see if they have one in stock, it doesn't hurt to look.  Of course it won't be everyone's taste, but it could fit her and your needs quite well.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2024, 02:05:24 pm »
One that always seems to be missed that people forget about, the Nissan Murano.  NA V6, proven powertrain at this point, smaller size, has a large sunroof, decently appointed, has some great zero gravity seats, and pricing is good.  I have a doctor friend that I helped buy one about 12 years ago and she's still driving hers.  It's Japanese without a lot of complexity of turbos, hybrid, etc. 

If nothing else, I say go to your local dealer and see if they have one in stock, it doesn't hurt to look.  Of course it won't be everyone's taste, but it could fit her and your needs quite well.

Good call. The Mentor has one - that's one heck of an endorsement. Early model year of the current gen, over 100,000 miles on it. It seems the CVT will hold itself together if one does not tow. Last weeks of availability, a new gen is popping up for 2025, 50% think it'll have the VDC turbo 4, others that it'll be electric.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2024, 02:16:14 pm »

Good call. The Mentor has one - that's one heck of an endorsement. Early model year of the current gen, over 100,000 miles on it. It seems the CVT will hold itself together if one does not tow. Last weeks of availability, a new gen is popping up for 2025, 50% think it'll have the VDC turbo 4, others that it'll be electric.
All the more reason to go after this one before they start down the path that everyone else is currently taking.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2024, 02:23:15 pm »
Murano is a good call and really checks all the boxes.  Other than being a pretty dated design, it has a lot going for it.  Sadly I can't get her to take a look at one, her best friend has one and for whatever reason she's turned off by it.  It was actually a contender when we shopped last time and settled on the Outback.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2024, 02:35:41 pm »
Murano is a good call and really checks all the boxes.  Other than being a pretty dated design, it has a lot going for it.  Sadly I can't get her to take a look at one, her best friend has one and for whatever reason she's turned off by it.  It was actually a contender when we shopped last time and settled on the Outback.

Except, you mentioned not liking the CVT in the new Outback, and I'm not sure how a CVT in a Nissan would be any better...

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2024, 02:42:42 pm »

Except, you mentioned not liking the CVT in the new Outback, and I'm not sure how a CVT in a Nissan would be any better...

The CVT in the Outback has scarred me for life. 

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2024, 02:51:13 pm »
Well she added the CX-70 to the list.  I'm not sold on it, would prefer an MDX if she is good with that size vehicle after all.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2024, 03:10:38 pm »

They don't mooo as much with a V6.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2024, 03:12:01 pm »

All the more reason to go after this one before they start down the path that everyone else is currently taking.

For 2025, they yanked the V6 out of the QX60 and replaced it with the VDC 4 from the QX50/55. At least they kept the 9-speed.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2024, 04:10:55 pm »
How soon are you wanting to buy? There will be a new Honda Passport next year. That would the one that I would be looking as I would expect it to keep the tried and true V6. But maybe it is too close to your Pilot.

You indicated good AWD as a requirement. The Toyota/Lexus hybrids have electric motors to power the rear wheels. Honda CR-V hybrid powers the rear axle with a conventional drive shaft. Probably fine for most people, but likely nowhere near as competent as the torque vectoring iVTM4 system in the Honda Pilot and Passport. All of these slip/grip systems might be a downgrade from the full-time system in Subaru...

A nice CPO MDX (2022+) could be a good option. I think they drink premium fuel though. Mazda really missed the mark with the CX-70. If only it was shorter I think they would have hit a home run for someone looking for a more premium package without the need for a 3rd row.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 04:13:44 pm by marcus_go »

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2024, 04:14:09 pm »
How soon are you wanting to buy? There will be a new Honda Passport next year. That would the one that I would be looking as I would expect it to keep the tried and true V6. But maybe it is too close to your Pilot.

You indicated good AWD as a requirement. The Toyota/Lexus hybrids have electric motors to power the rear wheels. Probably fine for most people, but likely nowhere near as competent as the torque vectoring iVTM4 system in the Honda. All of these slip/grip systems might be a downgrade from the full-time system in Subaru...

A nice CPO MDX (2022+) could be a good option. I think they drink premium fuel though. Mazda really missed the mark with the CX-70. If only it was shorter I think they would have hit a home run for someone looking for a more premium package without the need for a 3rd row.

Agree on CX-70. 

I would buy an MDX tomorrow if she wanted one.  I'm a believer in SH-AWD.  Unfortunately the current Passport is based on the previous Pilot, which is light years behind our current one.  I'd wait for the next Passport, but it's been delayed until the 2026 model year and is going to be more rugged.  So it's a bit of an unknown.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2024, 04:24:48 pm »

You indicated good AWD as a requirement. The Toyota/Lexus hybrids have electric motors to power the rear wheels. Probably fine for most people, but likely nowhere near as competent as the torque vectoring iVTM4 system in the Honda. All of these slip/grip systems might be a downgrade from the full-time system in Subaru...

Agree on CX-70. 

I would buy an MDX tomorrow if she wanted one.  I'm a believer in SH-AWD.  Unfortunately the current Passport is based on the previous Pilot, which is light years behind our current one.  I'd wait for the next Passport, but it's been delayed until the 2026 model year and is going to be more rugged.  So it's a bit of an unknown.

What are the concerns with the MDX, if she is open to a CX-70? I would take a MDX over a CX-70, given that the CX-70/CX-90 is still a relatively new platform.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2024, 04:32:24 pm »

Agree on CX-70. 

What are the concerns with the MDX, if she is open to a CX-70? I would take a MDX over a CX-70, given that the CX-70/CX-90 is still a relatively new platform.

There is no logic here.   ;D  She says the MDX is too big, but she likes the CX-70/90.  I think test driving is in order.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2024, 04:42:25 pm »

Agree on CX-70. 

There is no logic here.   ;D  She says the MDX is too big, but she likes the CX-70/90.  I think test driving is in order.

I think so too. I watched this video and the mechanical complexity of the Mazda inline-6 MHEV would give me pause about long-term ownership. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dral93gmVkM&t=2181s

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2024, 05:25:22 pm »
I got one. Stay with me on it though ...

Her requirements:
Big sunroof - infinitely big!
No premium fuel - check
Good power - will keep up with traffic so check
Good AWD system - more or less
Not too big - check

https://www.ural.com/

The side car is powered as well making it just like AWD.  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2024, 05:27:43 pm »

I thought these CVTs we're still problematic?

I know because of problems and lawsuits, Nissan extended the warranties of transmissions built up to 2018.

Did they ever truly get these sorted?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2024, 06:01:42 pm »

I got one. Stay with me on it though ...

Her requirements:
Big sunroof - infinitely big!
No premium fuel - check
Good power - will keep up with traffic so check
Good AWD system - more or less
Not too big - check

https://www.ural.com/

The side car is powered as well making it just like AWD.  :rofl2:

You can't get this kind of consumer advice anywhere else. Bravo!

I think the RDX is the call. They are supposed to be one of the better Acura products.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2024, 07:54:55 pm »

I thought these CVTs we're still problematic?

I know because of problems and lawsuits, Nissan extended the warranties of transmissions built up to 2018.

Did they ever truly get these sorted?
From my understanding, if you actually have the CVT serviced in the correct way at the correct interval the failure rate is very low, but a lot of people don’t and that’s when you run into issues.  Also, if you tow it is typically recommended to add some extra cooling to the transmission to increase longevity, but I don’t think Muranos are a popular tow vehicle unlike the Pathfinder and Rogue.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2024, 08:35:33 pm »
Tesla Model Y (kidding)

Why not if ever she is open to that idea of Model Y AWD (or any other similar setup EV)?

It seem to me check all the boxes below

Her requirements:
Big sunroof
No premium fuel
Good power
Good AWD system
Not too big

===
Store Galleries
TeslaDieppe 477 Paul St, Unit N006A Dieppe, NB E1A 4X5

Service, Store Galleries
Tesla Dartmouth 236 Brownlow Ave Dartmouth, NS B3B 1V5
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2024, 09:17:21 pm »
Yeah, not really considering full EV at this point. Lots of cold weather, rural driving doesn’t mesh well with current EV offerings.