Author Topic: Spend My Money Part 2 - Wifey's Car  (Read 23949 times)

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
Spend My Money Part 2 - Wifey's Car
« on: July 26, 2024, 08:00:10 am »
After the success of this thread https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=121507.0, it's time to find a replacement for my wife's 2015 Outback.  I'd probably prefer to drive it into the ground, her inclination is to lease vehicles for 36 months, so I am happy to meet in the middle and buy quality vehicles that she will drive for 8-10 years.  She's had this one since October 2014, so I can't complain and I'm willing to compromise.  So "keep driving it" is not an option I want to hear  :rofl2:

Her requirements:
Big sunroof
No premium fuel
Good power
Good AWD system
Not too big

She'd prefer a V6 since she loved the power of the 3.6 in the Outback, but has accepted the automotive world has moved on.  After months of browsing, touring dealer lots, etc, she's also decided that she's not interested in a Bronco/Wrangler/4Runner style vehicle, and she's also pretty much ruled out the German and luxury brands (concerned about reliabiltiy, cost to operate, and doesn't want a snobby image).

Here is the short list as it stands today:

CR-V Touring (Hybrid by default now, I think)
RAV4 XSE or Limited Hybrid
Acura RDX
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Volvo XC60

She likes the idea of the V6 in the Jeep, the roominess for toting a car full of kids to hockey tournaments, and likely great winter performance, but she's also wary of the size....she finds our Pilot too large to be her daily, and this is pretty close.

CR-V, she's not keen on the Hybrid but she's willing to test drive it.

RAV4, she quite likes it, but I hate the idea of buying a vehicle towards the end of it's current generation....it bothers me to spend $50k and then see a new generation on the road so soon.  I'm probably being unreasonable on that point.  She really doesn't care....her view is buy whatever is the best option today and is oblivious to new models.

Acura - This is, I think, her current front runner even though it is a premium brand and uses premium fuel and has the worst fuel economy.  She loves the sportier German competition (owned a Q5 prior to the Outback), and  to her this is a reasonable substitute at a lower entry point and extremely well equipped.  I think this would be the nicest place to spend time, drive the best, and has SH-AWD.  On the flip side, I think a 2025 redesign is in the cards and the stupid trackpad for infotainment should disappear. 

Volvo - Her brother has a newer PHEV and my wife loves it.  However, it is costly, the dealership is in Fredericton (1.5 hours away), and I'm worried about reliability.  I'd rather roll the dice on an X3, to be honest.

Anything we're missing here?  Ultimately I will likely bend to whatever she wants, since I think we're choosing between pretty good options.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1227
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: Spend My Money Part 2 - Wifey's Car
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2024, 08:16:05 am »
If she keeps car for 3 years only the Volvo reliability should not be an issue. My wife's 2019 XC40 is still going strong.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2024, 08:19:18 am »
I'm guessing overall size, including backseat space and cargo room is a concern here, if she's schlepping kids to hockey games?

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2024, 08:27:02 am »
If she keeps car for 3 years only the Volvo reliability should not be an issue. My wife's 2019 XC40 is still going strong.

We're planning to buy it and keep it 8-10 years.  That's the compromise.....I'd prefer just to keep the Subaru  ;D

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2024, 08:29:40 am »
I'm guessing overall size, including backseat space and cargo room is a concern here, if she's schlepping kids to hockey games?

Yeah, she'd like enough room to take 2-3 kids and their gear if needed.  I think the sizes of what she's looking at would work fine.  I don't think she wants to drive anything small anyway, but trunk and backseat space would be an issue in the sub-compact range.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2024, 09:31:27 am »
What about another Outback?  A Limited XT or Premier XT comes with the 2.5T engine, and doesn't have the gaudy bits of the Wilderness.  Also, they're quite roomy with a ton of cargo space. 

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2024, 09:40:52 am »
MAzda?   Cx5 of Cx50...?

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2024, 09:48:19 am »
What about another Outback?  A Limited XT or Premier XT comes with the 2.5T engine, and doesn't have the gaudy bits of the Wilderness.  Also, they're quite roomy with a ton of cargo space.

I hate the CVT and she wants a higher seating position. Also, the 6-cylinder is gone, and she is holding that fact against Subaru. Honestly if she was thinking Outback, I think she’d hang on to this one and spend some money to bring it up to snuff cosmetically.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2024, 09:52:11 am »
If you are considering Jeep, what about the other domestics?

Escape/Bronco Sport, Edge
Equinox/Terrain/Envision
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2024, 10:02:50 am »
Surprised no one said it yet... CX-5 is the answer :rofl:

Seriously though, a signature with the turbo motor is quite luxurious inside. Performs well & has the space you're looking for in a smaller than the Pilot package.

Another option is the VW Tiguan, currently offering 0.99% financing over 60 months (at least here in Ontario).

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2024, 10:13:56 am »
Surprised no one said it yet... CX-5 is the answer :rofl:

Seriously though, a signature with the turbo motor is quite luxurious inside. Performs well & has the space you're looking for in a smaller than the Pilot package.

Another option is the VW Tiguan, currently offering 0.99% financing over 60 months (at least here in Ontario).

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Eh, the only detractor against the CX-5 is rear seat space.  It really is tighter than any of the other compact CUV's.  Valuator made mention of kids and hockey games - I have no idea the ages of his kids, but I'm going to assume they're approaching their teens, and if they plan on keeping this one for 10 years, it won't be long before they outgrow the rear seats of the CX-5. 

Honestly, it's the only reason I actually didn't recommend it.  The CX-5 has a LOT of reasons to love it, but it also has that one major flaw compared to the competition.  Also, it doesn't have a big sunroof, which is a requirement.

The CX-50 DOES, however, have a large panoramic sunroof.  However, it suffers from the same smaller back seat as the CX-5.

The Tiguan does have a ton of space going for it, however it's got a cheap feel, and apparently the engine is a let-down.  It's kinda the opposite of the CX-5, if you think about it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 10:16:25 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2024, 10:26:22 am »
The engine in the Tiguan isn't as bad as people make it out to be. But, it's not the highlight.  They do drive very nicely though, particularly on the highway. 

A big knock against them is the move to capacitive touch buttons everywhere.  Even with wireless AA/CP, it would be a pain.

They are also a nice size, bigger than the CR-V, but not overly massive.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2024, 10:27:20 am »
Not sure I'd be keen on either the Jeep, Tiguan, or Volvo for 8-10 years

That new Crown Signia might be a fit though? New design, proven tech, hybrid, looks like lots of room. Sort of like a Lexus Outback

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2024, 10:30:42 am »
CX-5 (of course), but size issues have already been discussed

CX-50 Hybrid, order before the world catches on that it's a RAV4 Hybrid fast pass

Need more room but only 2 rows? CX-70, and the tranny is smoother in the PHEV (will run on regular, though premium is recommended) MHEV has a six, runs on regular or premium. Freakin' huge trunk.

Pathfinder. Has a classic V6 for now, regular 9-speed slushbox, looks trimmer than Pilot etc. Should check every box.

Tesla Model Y (kidding)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 10:35:20 am by Blueprint »
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2024, 10:33:29 am »
Toyota Venza, the one that's being bumped by the Crown Signia. Huge pano roof (that does not open) with electrochromatic "blind", hybrid, near Lexus feeling, not a thief target, good trunk IIRC.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2024, 10:59:59 am »
The Pathfinder is huge....honestly, if she was willing to drive something in the Pilot/Pathfinder/Grand Highlander class, I'd give her our new Pilot and go get something different for myself.

Crown Signia is worth consider for sure, not sure if it is tall enough to not be a station wagon  :rofl2:

CX-5, she ranks it below the CR-V and RAV4.....I don't feel strongly enough about it to argue with her, I'd probably just pony up for an RDX rather than a loaded CX-5.  We looked at the CX-50, but it is too small/too low.

Grand Cherokee - I think she likes the idea of the Jeep, but she's gonna find it too big.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2024, 11:39:52 am »
The Tiguan does have a ton of space going for it, however it's got a cheap feel, and apparently the engine is a let-down.  It's kinda the opposite of the CX-5, if you think about it.

The one we rented for a road trip really reminded us of a Dodge Journey. Same cavernous size, same type of crappy interior (which I think got improved in the refresh) but better handling. Drivetrain wasn't exceptional or anything, but perfectly fine. Seats were good. The dash had a buzz that would not go away and a check engine light from the stop start not restarting cleanly

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2024, 12:26:07 pm »

My wife's '22 V90 Cross Country left her stranded numerous times... was a true POS.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2024, 12:59:30 pm »

My wife's '22 V90 Cross Country left her stranded numerous times... was a true POS.

My moms XC60 R was a fantastic car, but at 80K kms, it started costing thousands every few months in repairs, thank god for warranty and why she's in a Lexus now.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2024, 01:24:55 pm »
The Pathfinder is huge....honestly, if she was willing to drive something in the Pilot/Pathfinder/Grand Highlander class, I'd give her our new Pilot and go get something different for myself.

11 cm longer than the JGC, but same width and height. A CX-70 would be 20 cm longer than the Jeep.

Can't go wrong with a CR-V Hybrid though - a bit bland, but it should last a long time.