Author Topic: Poor insurance coverage or another upside down story left out of the story  (Read 526 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/waterloo-woman-out-thousands-for-car-totalled-by-stolen-hit-and-run-driver-1.6973477

Insurance efforts
Lachapelle assumed her insurance through Echelon would cover all the associated costs from the crash, including the $21,000 she still owed on the vehicle, a rental car and eventually a new vehicle.

Instead, she said they offered her about $14,000 and nine days with a rental.

I'm saying the real issue here is being upside down on the loan. Funny-Not-Funny how the article totally missed that part of the story.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Yeah, insurance isn't on the hook for you being upside down.

What is interesting in there though; the fact that if the at fault driver is not identified, as in this hit and run case, the coverage falls to the collision coverage portion of your policy, not the direct compensation. So, in theory, if you're not carrying collision coverage, you'd get nothing in this situation.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/waterloo-woman-out-thousands-for-car-totalled-by-stolen-hit-and-run-driver-1.6973477

Insurance efforts
Lachapelle assumed her insurance through Echelon would cover all the associated costs from the crash, including the $21,000 she still owed on the vehicle, a rental car and eventually a new vehicle.

Instead, she said they offered her about $14,000 and nine days with a rental.

I'm saying the real issue here is being upside down on the loan. Funny-Not-Funny how the article totally missed that part of the story.
This is exactly why GAP insurance is key when your vehicle loan is expected to be higher than your vehicle insurance coverage.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)

What is interesting in there though; the fact that if the at fault driver is not identified, as in this hit and run case, the coverage falls to the collision coverage portion of your policy, not the direct compensation. So, in theory, if you're not carrying collision coverage, you'd get nothing in this situation.
I'd assume it'd be similar to your parked car was crashed into ran.  Or maybe that falls under one's home insurance?

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid

This more a story of who sold her the car, when and what price, really.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500

Well, there was this:

“An insurance company will pay you no more than the car’s actually worth,” Anne Marie Thomas, director of consumer and industry relations with the IBC said. “You’re probably not going to find a year, make and model of her vehicle on AutoTrader or another used car site or a used car lot that sells it for the same value as her loan.”

But, yeah, the whole article basically reads like some poor woman got screwed over by her insurance company. Has she really filed a lawsuit against them to try to get some money back?  ::)

I liked her last line: “Nobody is taking responsibility and people need to know this,” she said.

Uh, maybe it’s your responsibility to understand how your insurance works and the implications of being upside down on your loan?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile

IIRC, Ontario's mandatory "uninsured driver" insurance covers vehicle damage in hit and run.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki

IIRC, Ontario's mandatory "uninsured driver" insurance covers vehicle damage in hit and run.

Yup, had to use that when our Outback got totalled while sitting in our driveway by a hit and run
Mr Pickypants

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
“If this hadn’t happened in the first place, I wouldn’t now be $38,000 in debt,”

From $21K on a $14k vehicle to $38K on a $30K vehicle, lather rinse repeat, but it's the insurance company's fault

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
“An insurance company will pay you no more than the car’s actually worth,” Anne Marie Thomas, director of consumer and industry relations with the IBC said. “You’re probably not going to find a year, make and model of her vehicle on AutoTrader or another used car site or a used car lot that sells it for the same value as her loan.”

Not always true. If you have a depreciation waiver you get 100% of your purchase price back on a new car in the case of a total loss. Waiver usually runs for the first 2 or sometimes 3 years.

Ask me how I know.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid

Not always true. If you have a depreciation waiver you get 100% of your purchase price back on a new car in the case of a total loss. Waiver usually runs for the first 2 or sometimes 3 years.

Ask me how I know.  ;D

depends on  the provinc I believe,  I think some province does not allow "gap insurance"

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,

Ask me how I know.  ;D

depends on  the provinc I believe,  I think some province does not allow "gap insurance"

Well, works like a charm in New Brunswick. Drove a Mini Cooper S convertible for 23 months and then got every penny back except the $100 AC tax.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
When I was getting an Ins quote on the RAV I'm sure they said 4 year replacement cost. Will verify when I call back closer to the delivery date as they would only guarantee any quote for only 30 days.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
In Ontario, it's 4 years for Waiver of Depreciation.   Pretty sure gap insurance is part of any auto lease.