Author Topic: "No wonder so many Ram drivers are angry"  (Read 1821 times)

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
Re: "No wonder so many Ram drivers are angry"
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2024, 12:38:44 pm »
Yeah GM had a period there where they were famous for paint peeling off in big splotches from a black primer, but at least the metal was still covered

Also Nissan Frontiers, on specific colors, the blue

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2024, 12:40:47 pm »
That's brutal!! Hopefully this bad press gets him sorted out. Wonder if there are any others out there suffering from this same situation though?

Definitely a mess up during the painting process & some kind of contamination happened. That :censor: is all automated now though, so you'd think there's a few more out there the same. Not like the old days when I was in the booth at the Jeep plant sanding bodies after primer to get them ready for paint :rofl:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

I watched an old GM manufacturing video awhile back. The guy painting the car without a mask while enjoying a cigarette made me cringe. The guys sanding were maskless too, different times for sure. Wonder how far into retirement they made it.

Back in the day GM paint was the kind that you could drive the car for 15 years and after light cleaning it could be in a museum. Oil based I'd guess. My Toyota's finish is trash in comparison.

It was the water base coat / clear coat stuff that screwed everything up. Original paint on my 84 Camaro with 32Xk kms shows perfectly, but once you get into anything GM made after the conversion (85? 86?) it's a disaster. Even into the late 90's and early 2000's they couldn't get it right.

Had a mid- 90's Grand Am. The paint was bullet proof. It was hit many times by other cars' doors and all was left were traces of the perps' car paint, which I would clean off with alcohol.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2024, 12:48:06 pm »
My wife had a 1990 Dodge Shadow (blue) that the paint just fell off of. You could rub it off with your finger.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2024, 01:26:40 pm »
Warranty or not, I can't believe Dodge wouldn't have covered that so they don't look like A-holes. Its a Dodge, scuff it, shoot some bedliner on it and wait for the rest of the body to rust through....or your lifters self destruct, whichever comes first.
Lighten up Francis.....