Author Topic: 2021 Honda Odyssey - rear spring failures?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: 2021 Honda Odyssey - rear spring failures?
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2024, 09:18:21 am »
Our old Santa Fe had the springs break in the front suspension.  The first time it was under warranty and they replaced it right away, but the second time it wasn't.  Luckily supply wasn't the issue, but around a year later we got a letter in the mail about a recall for this specific thing and got Hyundai Canada to reimburse us for the repair and they inspected the springs we currently had on.  It was corrosion based from my understanding.  But it took a solid 7 years before they did a recall/service bulletin for it, so I'm not sure what the timeline would be for Honda for such matters.  I would suggest that they keep all the receipts for any work or expense associated with it as they could get reimbursed at a later time.

Considering it's an Odyssey and they retain a lot of value, why don't they see how much financial damage it would be to just trade it in and get a new one?

My bro isn't the kinda guy to buy a new vehicle every few years.  His previous Odyssey was twelve years old and had close to 300 000km when he sold it for close to scrap value and bought this new van, which is also supposed to last approximately ten years. 

Why should he have to change his behaviour just because Honda makes an apparently shitty product and can't keep parts in stock?  It's not an unreasonable expectation to expect a steady supply of parts for a 3 year old van...

New vehicles can be worse since the parts have not caught up. The new Lexus GX I looked at has a minefield for a windshield as there was no replacement yet available (OE). The bigger point is that stuff like that shouldn't be breaking. Air springs for the win?  :run:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2024, 09:29:16 am »
Our old Santa Fe had the springs break in the front suspension.  The first time it was under warranty and they replaced it right away, but the second time it wasn't.  Luckily supply wasn't the issue, but around a year later we got a letter in the mail about a recall for this specific thing and got Hyundai Canada to reimburse us for the repair and they inspected the springs we currently had on.  It was corrosion based from my understanding.  But it took a solid 7 years before they did a recall/service bulletin for it, so I'm not sure what the timeline would be for Honda for such matters.  I would suggest that they keep all the receipts for any work or expense associated with it as they could get reimbursed at a later time.

Considering it's an Odyssey and they retain a lot of value, why don't they see how much financial damage it would be to just trade it in and get a new one?

My bro isn't the kinda guy to buy a new vehicle every few years.  His previous Odyssey was twelve years old and had close to 300 000km when he sold it for close to scrap value and bought this new van, which is also supposed to last approximately ten years. 

Why should he have to change his behaviour just because Honda makes an apparently shitty product and can't keep parts in stock?  It's not an unreasonable expectation to expect a steady supply of parts for a 3 year old van...

New vehicles can be worse since the parts have not caught up. The new Lexus GX I looked at has a minefield for a windshield as there was no replacement yet available (OE). The bigger point is that stuff like that shouldn't be breaking. Air springs for the win?  :run:
For sure it's not ideal, just putting out another possible option to get through.  I don't disagree that it's :censor: poor quality and planning on Honda's part, but that isn't something that will be fixed in a timely manner, so I was just suggesting something more immediate. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2024, 09:33:18 am »
I searched my channels and I couldn't even find a listing in the aftermarket for these. I have sent this to a colleague in the suspension/chassis business to see if they can come up with anything, definitely sounds like an opportunity for the aftermarket to step up.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2024, 09:35:17 am »
I searched my channels and I couldn't even find a listing in the aftermarket for these. I have sent this to a colleague in the suspension/chassis business to see if they can come up with anything, definitely sounds like an opportunity for the aftermarket to step up.

Thanks, I appreciate that.  Let me know if you find anything in the meantime. 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2024, 09:48:13 am »

For sure it's not ideal, just putting out another possible option to get through.  I don't disagree that it's :censor: poor quality and planning on Honda's part, but that isn't something that will be fixed in a timely manner, so I was just suggesting something more immediate.

Oh sorry was replying to the quote you captured. Yeah no idea what best step is. But an old GM van that can be fixed on the side of the road?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2024, 09:49:14 am »
Wrecker maybe? They should be able to locate parts across North America

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2024, 09:54:48 am »
The only problem with the wrecker is that you might get the same failure prone springs.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2024, 10:00:18 am »
The only problem with the wrecker is that you might get the same failure prone springs.

I think the wrecker springs are the way to go for now.  At least it gets him back on the road, but he should still definitely order a couple of new springs to keep in his garage.  There are a few wreckers in the States that have some in stock. 

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2024, 10:03:45 am »
Seams crazy that there's a lack of parts.  Especially springs like that, you would think its one of the easiest part to make for aftermarket companies.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2024, 11:53:41 am »
I don't think typically one would see lots of 3 year old spring replacements. Shame Honda, shame.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2024, 11:56:55 am »
I don't think typically one would see lots of 3 year old spring replacements. Shame Honda, shame.

Yep, you're not typically seeing coil spring replacements until 10+ years old, so nobody has launched anything for this application yet. Whoever gets it out first is going to make some $.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2024, 12:16:34 pm »
K, Spring bought from a wrecker in Brooklyn, NY.  He should have it in a week. 

Crisis averted.  A forum member came through with a phone number for me to call, which I passed on, so Thanks for that. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2024, 12:21:59 pm »
Thats great to hear, but man, a 3 year old vehicle needing springs, thats unacceptable. I doubt he was getting air on back roads too....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2024, 02:42:09 pm »
Ya, definitely shitty.  And if there's a lot failing, good chance the spring from the wrecker will also.  Wondering if the new springs have improved design/materials.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2024, 03:00:22 pm »
Ya, definitely shitty.  And if there's a lot failing, good chance the spring from the wrecker will also.  Wondering if the new springs have improved design/materials.

Well, at least this gets him back on the road.  I've advised him to still order a new spring from Honda, to set aside in case another one breaks.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2024, 03:10:17 pm »

Well, at least this gets him back on the road.  I've advised him to still order a new spring from Honda, to set aside in case another one breaks.

Ya thats good to hear, and good advice.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2024, 10:23:34 am »
I would order a couple...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2024, 11:14:29 am »
Was going to say the same thing. Get two, because the used one will probably fail at some point.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2024, 08:09:00 pm »
Update:

Honda Canada has approved a rental for him, a big 7-8 passenger.  So he's opting to keep the used spring as a future spare, or should Honda grow tired of paying for a rental, and will wait until the official Honda part comes in. 

So, good on Honda for stepping up like that, at least.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2024, 08:13:56 pm »
Update:

Honda Canada has approved a rental for him, a big 7-8 passenger.  So he's opting to keep the used spring as a future spare, or should Honda grow tired of paying for a rental, and will wait until the official Honda part comes in. 

So, good on Honda for stepping up like that, at least.

Nice!!!!! I knew Honda would do something.  :)

My family has had good luck with Honda and Toyota customer service, post warranty.