Author Topic: Mazda navigation SD cards on Amazon or Navi-World  (Read 565 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Mazda navigation SD cards on Amazon or Navi-World
« on: June 12, 2024, 02:04:51 pm »
I convinced my friend to drink the Mazda Koolaid. He is picking up a 2020 Mazda 6 GS today with 55,000 kms on it. From what I seen it looks to be in great shape.

Sadly it does not have a navigation SD card in it. As noted a few times in this Forum Mazda wants over $500 for the card but Amazon has the for $30 to $60. I have some questions and concerns about 3rd party cards. I was wondering if anyone has some hands on experience.

With regards to Amazon SD cads

- Many comments in Amazon reviews state that even if the SD card states it is a 2023 version they find the maps to be out of date. Some mention new roads that existed 3 years prior not showing up.
- I have read that around 2021 Mazda change the Mazda Toolbox that updates maps the reject any none OEM SD card. So I think you will not be able to update the maps.

What about Navi-World SD cards

- There is a company called Navi World. They sell SD cards and claim it includes 3 years of updates. I have not investigated that claim. I am not sure that claim is valid now that Mazda locked their system from updating non-OEM cards. Maybe Navi-World provide the updates????
- They cost a bit more but if you really can get updates it is worth it.
- It is weird that they charge less to send you a physical SD card than they charge you to send you a downloadable file to your own SD Card. That does not seem to make sense.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Mazda navigation SD cards on Amazon or Navi-World
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024, 02:07:20 pm »
Wondering why it would be necessary at all, as that year of Mazda6 should have Android Auto / Apple Carplay. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2024, 02:09:06 pm »
Basically zero risk in trying the Amazon card.  If it doesn't work, return it.  Unless there's something specifically stated for the at product that it can't be returned.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024, 02:10:16 pm »
Basically zero risk in trying the Amazon card.  If it doesn't work, return it.

+1

doesn't Mazda 2020 have Android/Apple carplay?   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2024, 02:26:46 pm »

+1

I personally don't have unlimited data, so depending on use they're could be costs associated with using Google maps.

Unless you download the area you'll be traveling in for off line use.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2024, 02:34:11 pm »

+1

I personally don't have unlimited data, so depending on use they're could be costs associated with using Google maps.

Exactly. There is the data consumption issue and also if you venture out of the country into the USA I would be nailed with huge roaming charges.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2024, 02:50:15 pm »

+1

Exactly. There is the data consumption issue and also if you venture out of the country into the USA I would be nailed with huge roaming charges.

Just download the offline map for the area you're in before going on your trip --- you won't get live traffic updates, but at least all the roads will be current from the day you downloaded the map...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2024, 03:03:13 pm »

+1

Just download the offline map for the area you're in before going on your trip --- you won't get live traffic updates, but at least all the roads will be current from the day you downloaded the map...
Hopefully there's room on your phone or you have SD card.

Just for my little city area, it's nearly 150Mb
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 03:07:47 pm by rrocket »

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2024, 03:47:03 pm »
I am not sure the offline maps allow you to input a destination and get turn by turn directions.

Regardless.....My friend would really like to have the in car navigation system. So I would really like to keep the discussion to the purchase of Navigation SD cards. Thanks.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2024, 10:53:29 pm »
I am not sure the offline maps allow you to input a destination and get turn by turn directions.

For anybody that wants to know....Yes Google will give turn-turn directions with offline maps. Also pretty sure you get POIs.  I have to d/l some areas when I travel in the SW USA as I can't get a cell signal.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2024, 11:16:19 pm »
Make sure don't get dere cheapest card eh

https://www.tiktok.com/@nirguzinski/video/7376797455259585798