Author Topic: Vacations 2024  (Read 14644 times)

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
Re: Vacations 2024
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2024, 05:43:58 pm »
Japan sounds amazing!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2024, 07:09:52 pm »
Japan sounds amazing!

I'd like to visit, but I fear I'd be overwhelmed by the sea of humanity.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2024, 09:00:35 pm »
Japan is definitely unique. Some of the most technological stuff there but many still prefer a cash system (mostly due to the market crash in the 90s where tons of people lost money in financial institutions).

You have cutting edge buildings right next to centuries old temples and shrines.

Some of the busiest cities on Earth, but also very remote areas to hike in the mountains and forests.

It's been 17 years. We've planned trips back before but something always came up. The last time was the pandemic in 2020. We had planned to go in the Spring for Golden Week and to catch the cherry blossoms but we all know how that ended up.

rrocket, I'll send you a pm

Anyway, can't wait to go. We've reached out to friends we had there and they're looking forward to meeting up too.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2024, 09:43:27 pm »
Save over $50 by choosing a Max 8 flight, a not-insignificant saving of almost 24%!

This during the last week in June.  Phoenix in April is too expensive for the likes of me.

Edit: Phoenix booked for June 24th to July 1st.  My first Arizona visit in five years. 

From October 2005 to July 2019, I visited Arizona twenty-one times.  I hope I still like it.  lol

Told a friend in Calgary that I'm heading to Arizona.  He surprised me by saying he owned a condo in Tempe that he rents through Vrbo.  Staying there instead of a hotel. 

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2024, 09:53:50 pm »
Save over $50 by choosing a Max 8 flight, a not-insignificant saving of almost 24%!

This during the last week in June.  Phoenix in April is too expensive for the likes of me.

Edit: Phoenix booked for June 24th to July 1st.  My first Arizona visit in five years. 

From October 2005 to July 2019, I visited Arizona twenty-one times.  I hope I still like it.  lol

Told a friend in Calgary that I'm heading to Arizona.  He surprised me by saying he owned a condo in Tempe that he rents through Vrbo.  Staying there instead of a hotel.

nice!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2024, 10:04:22 pm »
Phoenix late June? You animal.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2024, 10:47:48 pm »
Phoenix late June? You animal.

Normal high at that time is 106.  Kids stuff..   ;D
I've been there in August when the temp peaked at 114.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 11:08:00 pm by Bubba »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2024, 11:11:21 pm »
I've been using National and have had very positive experience, there's a free loyalty program called the Emerald Club, which does all the usual loyalty stuff, but the big benefit is that with your loyalty membership you can pay for a mid-size car (and use whatever promo, credit card discount, etc) and then select any vehicle from their 'emerald aisle' which is essentially whatever they have that's no pre-reserved. In my experience there's almost always a Charger/Challenger/Mustang to pick, a big SUV, I've seen a couple Audi A4s too. As a car guy it's a much better experience than letting the counter staff shove you into whatever econobox they want to push out, or trying to sweet talk them into something better. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2024, 12:28:43 am »
I've been using National and have had very positive experience, there's a free loyalty program called the Emerald Club, which does all the usual loyalty stuff, but the big benefit is that with your loyalty membership you can pay for a mid-size car (and use whatever promo, credit card discount, etc) and then select any vehicle from their 'emerald aisle' which is essentially whatever they have that's no pre-reserved. In my experience there's almost always a Charger/Challenger/Mustang to pick, a big SUV, I've seen a couple Audi A4s too. As a car guy it's a much better experience than letting the counter staff shove you into whatever econobox they want to push out, or trying to sweet talk them into something better.

:thumbup:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2024, 01:55:56 pm »
I may be in Ottawa in July for a few days. Other than bringing my freedom rally flag to the hill any other must sees?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2024, 02:03:04 pm »
I may be in Ottawa in July for a few days. Other than bringing my freedom rally flag to the hill any other must sees?

If you've never been, may as well walk around Parliament and along the canal as well, the locks going from the canal into the Ottawa river are something to see in action. I'd say go downtown into the Byward Market to check it out as well, but it's turned into a bit of a dump with all the homeless. It's cool to check out Gatineau park as well, just 20mins outside of the city. There's some good places to eat on Elgin St., a few on Sparks St. as well, depending on what you're looking for.

Can always meet up with Tortoise & I for a pint too  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2024, 02:08:04 pm »

If you've never been, may as well walk around Parliament and along the canal as well, the locks going from the canal into the Ottawa river are something to see in action. I'd say go downtown into the Byward Market to check it out as well, but it's turned into a bit of a dump with all the homeless. It's cool to check out Gatineau park as well, just 20mins outside of the city. There's some good places to eat on Elgin St., a few on Sparks St. as well, depending on what you're looking for.

Thanks. Wife is from Ottawa and I have spent some time drinking in Hull as a young man lol. Same trip I did a self tour of the library on the hill before they found me and asked to to leave.  ;D Thinking I will visit  the military museum on Friday.  The Stampeders also play in Montreal on Saturday evening so thinking of hopping the train from Ottawa to Montreal to catch it and fly out of Montreal on Sunday.  Is the Via train from Ottawa to Montreal the way to go?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2024, 02:11:06 pm »

Thanks. Wife is from Ottawa and I have spent some time drinking in Hull as a young man lol. Same trip I did a self tour of the library on the hill before they found me and asked to to leave.  ;D Thinking I will visit  the military museum on Friday.  The Stampeders also play in Montreal on Saturday evening so thinking of hopping the train from Ottawa to Montreal to catch it and fly out of Montreal on Sunday.  Is the Via train from Ottawa to Montreal the way to go?

Yeah, I always forget about the museum's, the War Museum is something to check out. I think VIA is probably the best way to get from Ottawa to Montreal other than driving.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2024, 02:13:16 pm »
Yeah I was going to say if you are into military stuff the Canadian War museum is pretty good. Mill Street brewery just a short walk beside the river was a nice place for beers and bar food.

The small Bytown museum just beside Parliament beside the canal was an interesting look at why Ottawa went from a little logging town in the middle of nowhere to the capital, and had some good stuff on the canal too

Aviation and Space museum was pretty good too, if you are into that

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2024, 02:17:44 pm »
Sounds great. Thanks for the tips. Just look out for the guy carrying the flag yelling "freedom" scaring the tourists.  ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2024, 02:27:48 pm »
Sounds great. Thanks for the tips. Just look out for the guy carrying the flag yelling "freedom" scaring the tourists.  ;D

Don't forget to honk your horn! ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2024, 02:47:27 pm »

Cannot recommend the War museum enough, spent hours in there, especially the tank hall.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2024, 04:13:14 pm »
Booked our 2 week vacay in Japan this summer. Wife and I lived there from 2005 - 07 and this will be our first time back :o. It will be my son's first time there. We're all super excited!
I’m going there next week for 2 weeks. First time for us. Found a nice hotel with 2 rooms, full kitchen and also in suite laundry.
Japan is definitely unique. Some of the most technological stuff there but many still prefer a cash system (mostly due to the market crash in the 90s where tons of people lost money in financial institutions).

You have cutting edge buildings right next to centuries old temples and shrines.

Some of the busiest cities on Earth, but also very remote areas to hike in the mountains and forests.

It's been 17 years. We've planned trips back before but something always came up. The last time was the pandemic in 2020. We had planned to go in the Spring for Golden Week and to catch the cherry blossoms but we all know how that ended up.

Anyway, can't wait to go. We've reached out to friends we had there and they're looking forward to meeting up too.
Something new and fun in Japan! LOL [emoji38]

https://jalopnik.com/toyota-turned-a-boring-ev-into-a-real-life-catbus-from-1851312923
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2024, 05:58:33 pm »
Booked our 2 week vacay in Japan this summer. Wife and I lived there from 2005 - 07 and this will be our first time back :o. It will be my son's first time there. We're all super excited!
I’m going there next week for 2 weeks. First time for us. Found a nice hotel with 2 rooms, full kitchen and also in suite laundry.

https://jalopnik.com/toyota-turned-a-boring-ev-into-a-real-life-catbus-from-1851312923
That is on my to do list in the next 2 weeks.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2024, 07:25:23 pm »

That is on my to do list in the next 2 weeks.
I thought you'd like that one.