Author Topic: Vacations 2024  (Read 14663 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Vacations 2024
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2024, 06:27:30 pm »
You'll need seven days.  Fly to Los Vegas, rent a Tahoe, drive thru Death Valley, west to Ridgecrest, then into the LA basin via all the mountains.  So much to see and do.  Fly out of LA.  Kids would love that trip.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2024, 07:08:34 pm »
You'll need seven days.  Fly to Los Vegas, rent a Tahoe, drive thru Death Valley, west to Ridgecrest, then into the LA basin via all the mountains.  So much to see and do.  Fly out of LA.  Kids would love that trip.

That would be a great trip! Death Valley is awesome and that’s a good time of year for it.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2024, 07:42:25 pm »
As cool as Death Valley is I still think they would rather just wander down Daytona Beach during spring break. ;D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2024, 08:37:57 pm »
You just drive thru it.  So Cal beaches the best in the USA.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2024, 10:19:36 pm »
Your boys may enjoy Florida.

I'm sure they would, and I likely would also, just no desire on my end at this time.  But I should add it to the list for sure.

Strike Orlando off the list.  Can't find a direct flight even though Westjet says they fly direct from YXE.  Anything less than 2 stops is $1000/ticket.  When getting to that range we might as well go to Europe.

Flying out of SK sucks.  Let me rephrase that; SK sucks.

At least you're not living in a shitstain have-not province.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2024, 11:36:40 pm »
Just booked flights to SLC to backpack the Highline Trail in August.  Training starts….now!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2024, 07:35:48 am »
Just booked flights to SLC to backpack the Highline Trail in August.  Training starts….now!

The one in Glacier NP?  If so, very nice.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2024, 09:08:52 am »

I like this suggestion.  I'll look into it, thanks Steve.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2024, 09:11:22 am »
Wanting to do an Easter break (or sometime around late March, early April) vacation with our boys (15,17) for 5 days 'ish.  Thinking of doing a US City, maybe hit up an NHL/NBA game if it works out, and site seeing/attractions/light hiking.  Any suggestions?  Our US travel experience is limited.  Would be flying out of Saskatoon.  Off the top of my head are the following:

Phoenix - Decent weather that time of year, NBA/NHL teams, AirBnB with a pool
Minneapolis - NBA/NHL teams, cheap direct flights from YXE, decent attractions, potential for crappy weather

Other areas I haven't really dug into yet:
Texas
Cali - San Diego, San Fran
Boston
Seattle
Maine

No real interest in Florida for me.  The other option is to take the easy way out and just hit an all inclusive in the Caribbean, but we've had the kids there a few times. Other suggestions?
Have you asked what the boys would enjoy?  Site seeing, pro sports games, beach, camping, amusement parks, museums, etc?  I would get each to rank those and from that list base the trip off the location that checks off the most popular things they want to do.  It’s all about creating memories and at that age it’s harder to do as a lot of teens just want to do their own thing.

Yes, we have asked the kids, and yes to all of the above  ;D.  They did say they would prefer a US city trip versus the Caribbean.  Site seeing and pro sports would be at the top of the list.   

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2024, 09:12:05 am »
Your boys may enjoy Florida.

I'm sure they would, and I likely would also, just no desire on my end at this time.  But I should add it to the list for sure.

Strike Orlando off the list.  Can't find a direct flight even though Westjet says they fly direct from YXE.  Anything less than 2 stops is $1000/ticket.  When getting to that range we might as well go to Europe.

Flying out of SK sucks.  Let me rephrase that; SK sucks.

At least you're not living in a shitstain have-not province.
:rofl2:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2024, 09:32:04 am »
Wanting to do an Easter break (or sometime around late March, early April) vacation with our boys (15,17) for 5 days 'ish.  Thinking of doing a US City, maybe hit up an NHL/NBA game if it works out, and site seeing/attractions/light hiking.  Any suggestions?  Our US travel experience is limited.  Would be flying out of Saskatoon.  Off the top of my head are the following:

Phoenix - Decent weather that time of year, NBA/NHL teams, AirBnB with a pool
Minneapolis - NBA/NHL teams, cheap direct flights from YXE, decent attractions, potential for crappy weather

Other areas I haven't really dug into yet:
Texas
Cali - San Diego, San Fran
Boston
Seattle
Maine

No real interest in Florida for me.  The other option is to take the easy way out and just hit an all inclusive in the Caribbean, but we've had the kids there a few times. Other suggestions?
Have you asked what the boys would enjoy?  Site seeing, pro sports games, beach, camping, amusement parks, museums, etc?  I would get each to rank those and from that list base the trip off the location that checks off the most popular things they want to do.  It’s all about creating memories and at that age it’s harder to do as a lot of teens just want to do their own thing.

Yes, we have asked the kids, and yes to all of the above  ;D.  They did say they would prefer a US city trip versus the Caribbean.  Site seeing and pro sports would be at the top of the list.
If the sports team is high up on the list, I'd probably say choose a city where the NHL team and NBA team are playing in that 5 day window and ideally are still playing meaningful games (still in playoff race).  In this case I'd probably be looking at Phoenix as both the Suns and the Coyotes are in the playoff hunt right now, not to mention it's a really nice city to visit that time of year, and loads of places you can day trip to and site see.  Heck Vegas and the Grand Canyon aren't too far away really.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2024, 10:55:35 am »
Death Valley is an amazing place but do your research first as it is in the middle of nowhere, nothing is close (even inside the park), and half the size of Vancouver Island. So A LOT of driving needs to be done to see anything.

2.5 hours from Vegas
7 hours from Phoenix

If you like hiking, Red Rock NCA is about 30 minutes north of Vegas, an amazing spot. Or 2.5 hours from Vegas is Zion NP, a truly amazing place.
Grand Canyon NP is 5 hours from Vegas or 4 hours from Phoenix.  While I think the GC is also amazing, to really enjoy it you have to have time to get deep inside the canyon to really see its beauty. Unless you have lots of time, Zion is a better place to see things. If you need any tips for trails to hike, let me know. I've been to them a few times.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2024, 11:33:16 am »
Thing is though if it's part of a road trip (Vegas to LA, Vegas to San Diego, etc) it's not so bad as a detour. By prairie standards that whole thing isn't much of a drive and as noted lots of other stuff to look at on the way

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2024, 02:55:11 pm »
Death Valley is an amazing place but do your research first as it is in the middle of nowhere, nothing is close (even inside the park),

The purpose is just to drive thru it.  There are a few, maybe 3 or 4, 20 minute points of interest.  But the drive is very interesting and we are talking about 5 to 6 hours until you get to the waypoint, Ridgecrest.  Then you drive west into the LA basin and surrounding mountains.

Forget San Diego.  To far south.  Not nearly enough time.  You've got maybe a solid 5 days of exploring. Can't explore SO CAL in that time period.  For example a tour of Warner Bros., I loved it.  Temperature would be perfect.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2024, 12:28:58 pm »
Booked flights for the family to San Francisco yesterday morning for April.  Four night stay. Flights are out of YXE with a 1.5hr layover in YVR, both ways. We thought about direct out of YEG but as long as the layovers end up what they are supposed to be (fat chance right?) then YXE makes most sense.

Mrs BC is having a hard time getting over 1K+ for mediocre NBA seats but it is what it is. I set the stage :P and we’re taking in a game. Too bad it’s not baseball season at the time. Ah well, there will be lots to do in three days.

Thanks for the suggestions. Steve I like the idea of a longer tour, that’ll have to wait for another year. We’re also likely going to hit Alberta for a few days in February with the kids. They are getting enough this year.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 03:14:06 pm by bridgecity »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2024, 01:26:52 pm »
Too bad the Warriors are garbage this season and still expensive to go see.  Should be a great little getaway.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2024, 01:53:08 pm »
Too bad the Warriors are garbage this season and still expensive to go see.  Should be a great little getaway.

True, but we’ve never been to an NBA game, so the experience will be great regardless of the standings.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2024, 01:55:51 pm »
Booked flights for the family to San Francisco yesterday morning for April.  Four night stay. Flights are out of YXE with a 1.5hr layover in YVR, both ways. We thought about direct out of YEG but as long as the layovers end up what they are supposed to be (fat chance right?) then YXE makes most sense.

Mrs BC is having a hard time getting over 1K+ for mediocre NBA seats but it is what it is. I set the stage :p and we’re taking in a game. Too bad it’s not baseball season at the time. Ah well, there will be lots to do in three days.

Thanks for the suggestions. Steve I like the idea of a longer tour, that’ll have to wait for another year. We’re also likely going to hit Alberta for a few days in February with the kids. They are getting enough this year.

Beware of car break ins? I hear its a real bad problem in SF.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2024, 02:06:30 pm »
Good on you for booking, Add another $200 if you want anything at the game.  ;) My business partner is out of San Fran. He pulled his office out of the City proper and is now in Belmont to get away from the "culture". Stay out of the war zones (and Oakland lol) and it should be fun. The surrounding areas are beautiful.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2024, 03:34:10 pm »
Beware of car break ins? I hear its a real bad problem in SF.

Streets are incredibly steep in places, parking isn't great, and it's a complicated street system to begin with. In Seattle and Portland which are similar we just parked our vehicle and ubered around. San Fran I was by myself and rented a bike, walked (including one memorable walk through the Tenderloin in the middle of the night, note to never do that). Think public transit is pretty good there too