Author Topic: Toyota's EV future  (Read 7123 times)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Toyota's EV future
« on: July 18, 2023, 07:26:25 am »
I'm surprised no one is talking about Toyota and the 700 mile EV

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/corporate/39288520.html#kato

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota's EV future
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 12:48:00 pm »
so no one finds 700 miles exciting news? ::)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 03:07:02 pm »
Many of us are just waiting to see…you know…how a company that doesn’t believe in EVs and had a CEO kicked out because of that just a few months ago has miraculously broken down new battery technology and tested such technology in all possible scenarios!!!

Yep, gosh must be totally REAL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 04:17:46 pm »
CEO was “kicked out”??? I guess….to become the company’s new chairman of the board is all. Nowhere could I find anything that said he was ousted by anyone at Toyota. If the world’s largest and most successful automaker doesn’t believe in a 100% EV future then what do they know? Good for them and their 700 mile battery (if/when it becomes mainstream) it’ll certainly be a game changer.

Try buying a Prime Hybrid Toyota today. Get in line and wait two years for some. Meanwhile EV’s are piling up on dealers lots with incentives on the hood. Toyota sales figures certainly speak for the CEO they just sent packing.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 06:13:57 pm »
If our EV future were up to Toyota we would've been stuck in the past for centuries  ;D

They were one of the first companies to have a full BEV on the road - an electric Rav4 development was commissioned to Tesla and the car was successfully sold in California. Might have been made in Canada, IIRC. That's how much head start Toyota had to take over the EV market and have it for themselves. Whether they've been careful, pragmatic or for any other reason, I'm not holding my breath this time until I see something serious materialise. 

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 10:14:38 pm »
If our EV future were up to Toyota we would've been stuck in the past for centuries  ;D

Because they know EVs with current tech are dumb and are only viable for certain consumers in certain locales. Whereas hybrid tech is useable by all.

But most importantly (for automakers) EVs are money losers.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 09:23:56 am »

They were one of the first companies to have a full BEV on the road - an electric Rav4 development was commissioned to Tesla and the car was successfully sold in California. Might have been made in Canada, IIRC. That's how much head start Toyota had to take over the EV market and have it for themselves. Whether they've been careful, pragmatic or for any other reason, I'm not holding my breath this time until I see something serious materialise.

Agree, if anyone could have done this it's them.  But I firmly believe they still can, they are not alone in this, if I recall they have partnered with Nissan and Honda for the development of the solid state battery, Libtec I think it's called.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 09:43:28 am »
CEO was “kicked out”??? I guess….to become the company’s new chairman of the board is all. Nowhere could I find anything that said he was ousted by anyone at Toyota. If the world’s largest and most successful automaker doesn’t believe in a 100% EV future then what do they know? Good for them and their 700 mile battery (if/when it becomes mainstream) it’ll certainly be a game changer.

Try buying a Prime Hybrid Toyota today. Get in line and wait two years for some. Meanwhile EV’s are piling up on dealers lots with incentives on the hood. Toyota sales figures certainly speak for the CEO they just sent packing.

EV piling up on lots? Maybe Ford in the US but certainly not here.  In 26 when the lease on the Rogue comes up, a Prius Prime or someone's EV is in my sights, that's correct 24 months for the Toyota but the same goes for a Kia EV6 or Ioniq 5, only a Tesla I can get in 30 days or so.

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 09:49:24 am »

Because they know EVs with current tech are dumb and are only viable for certain consumers in certain locales. Whereas hybrid tech is useable by all.

https://electrek.co/2022/10/24/toyota-struggles-ev-shift-changing-plans-due-tesla/

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023, 11:27:55 am »

EV piling up on lots? Maybe Ford in the US but certainly not here.  In 26 when the lease on the Rogue comes up, a Prius Prime or someone's EV is in my sights, that's correct 24 months for the Toyota but the same goes for a Kia EV6 or Ioniq 5, only a Tesla I can get in 30 days or so.

3 Mach E's sitting on a lot at one local Winnipeg Ford Dealer.  $5k of dealer discounts on each one. 

Another local Winnipeg dealer has 15 F150 Lightnings on the lot. 
And 22 Mach E's. 

I'd say they're piling up. https://www.rivercityford.ca/vehicles/new/?st=price,asc&view=grid&sc=new&md=F-150%20Lightning

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2023, 12:03:50 pm »
To be fair, seeing discounts on regular Ford pickups now too:

https://www.rivercityford.ca/vehicles/new/?st=price,asc&view=grid&sc=new&bs=Truck

The era of the $70,000 base F150 might be finally over

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2023, 12:04:25 pm »

3 Mach E's sitting on a lot at one local Winnipeg Ford Dealer.  $5k of dealer discounts on each one. 

And 22 Mach E's. 

I'd say they're piling up. https://www.rivercityford.ca/vehicles/new/?st=price,asc&view=grid&sc=new&md=F-150%20Lightning

another 18 Lightings at another dealer in town:

https://www.mid-townford.com/vehicles/new/?st=price,asc&view=grid&sc=new&md=F-150%20Lightning

56 "regular" F-150's for full disclosure.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2023, 11:37:38 am »

And 22 Mach E's. 

https://www.mid-townford.com/vehicles/new/?st=price,asc&view=grid&sc=new&md=F-150%20Lightning

So it seems to be a Ford thing.  The only EV I can buy locally here is an Ariya at $57K.  When an EV6, Ioniq 5 or 6 comes in there are spoken for.

Online Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2023, 11:51:41 am »
$124K for a pickup truck  :rofl: .. alot of stupid people out there

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2023, 01:37:11 pm »

And 22 Mach E's. 

So it seems to be a Ford thing.  The only EV I can buy locally here is an Ariya at $57K.  When an EV6, Ioniq 5 or 6 comes in there are spoken for.

Want one? Come to BC. Our Hyundai dealer has Ioniq 5 and 6 not spoken for, each sealer within 100km seem to have some as well. And someone said BC is EV crazy? Maybe on the coast I guess….

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Toyota's EV future
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2023, 07:42:25 pm »

And 22 Mach E's. 

Yeah again, no issue at all…Ford was ramping up. They only made 12k trucks in the first year…

Totally normal game and expected…the shortage of chips has also improved substantially so more inventory can be build.

Hyundai has also improved inventory across the board - a few Ionics 5 now available in stock, some 6s…

Not everyone is lucky though - Toyota is still suffering dearly from the chips shortage [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2023, 12:42:06 am »

Not everyone is lucky though - Toyota is still suffering dearly from the chips shortage

Look at Toyota's financial for the last quarter vs. Ford's.

It isn't Toyota that's suffering.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2023, 10:23:33 am »
^^ They are losing  a few customers though that just don't like the wait. I would probably be driving a new Prius or Corolla Hybrid now if they were more readily available. I am happy with my second choice so far however.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2023, 10:23:19 pm »
Absolutely, I know at least one other family in our friend group wanted a Sienna but couldn't wait and ended up with a Kia Carnival.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2023, 02:46:51 pm »

Toyota has been working on a solid-state EV battery for years now (with the University of Tokyo). If this 700-mile battery is not a reality today it will become one very soon.
Solid State EV batteries are being mass-produced in China already and like it or not they are world leaders in battery tech.

If you look at the population distribution of Canada or the USA, EVs with current tech are viable for most consumers in most locales and are NOT viable for certain consumers. GTA and Ottatwa are almost 50% of Ontario (by population) and White Model Y's (and white model 3's to some extent) are more common than Lexus or BMW
Of course, Hybrid tech works for all.

EVs will lose money initially. Any new product/service loses money initially. It is built into the business model. Large companies have the financial tools to manage this and do this ALL the time when they introduce new products/services or even open new factories etc.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 02:50:37 pm by CSH »