Author Topic: I love my electric car but I didn't realize my life would revolve around chargin  (Read 4003 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
I love my electric car but I didn't realize my life would revolve around charging it

Typical wishy washy article via the CBC but the point remains.  If you don't have personal charging you become a slave to the vehicle.  That year Leaf is awful.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/first-person-electric-car-1.6858857

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile

Obviously did ZERO real research before purchase and was simply trying to score some green virtue signaling points.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Yeah, I can't imagine buying an EV without having a charger at my house. That's madness.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Yep, buying an EV without access to a charger seems pretty shortsighted to me.  The other issue (as others have pointed out) is that adding large numbers of chargers to underground parking in an older highrise isn't always a straightforward or inexpensive proposition.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
Yep, buying an EV without access to a charger seems pretty shortsighted to me.  The other issue (as others have pointed out) is that adding large numbers of chargers to underground parking in an older highrise isn't always a straightforward or inexpensive proposition.

In that case, not sure why providing a handful of chargers in a couple of designated stalls within the parking level could not be a solution.  Most urban drivers, most of the time, just either need a top-up or only an occasional lengthy charge.  I don't think you need large numbers of chargers, just limit availability to building residents only.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-459
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)

In that case, not sure why providing a handful of chargers in a couple of designated stalls within the parking level could not be a solution.  Most urban drivers, most of the time, just either need a top-up or only an occasional lengthy charge.  I don't think you need large numbers of chargers, just limit availability to building residents only.
I would think signing out the spot would make a lot of sense.  You know there would be a person that gets the spot every day after work and park there the whole night.  There is no easy solution to this.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i

I would think signing out the spot would make a lot of sense.  You know there would be a person that gets the spot every day after work and park there the whole night.  There is no easy solution to this.

There are ways to prevent that....charge $$$ for time spent occupying the stall after charging is complete.  There are a lot of solution providers out there.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
In existing Condos/Co-Ops parking is at an extreme shortage.  Most owners get one spot and the wealthier ones may get a tandem.  Regardless, somebody will need to lose their spot which won't happen.  Then you have the whole deal about burning EVs, related insurance premiums, owners leaving their vehicle in the spot too long (like buildings with shared washers and dryers  :rofl2:) and the entire EV charging intiative blows up.

EVs have a niche.  But users need to own their own dwelling with a driveway until such time that you can recharge a vehicle in the same time you can fill a gasoline car.  Then EVs will explode in he good way. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
There are ways to prevent that....charge $$$ for time spent occupying the stall after charging is complete.  There are a lot of solution providers out there.

I posted before I read this.  Whose going to be the Police Person?  Informants?  Owners against owners?

New buildings there are solutions for sure.  Established buildings not a chance.  Aging owners with declining incomes (see effects of inflation).  Capital improvements are already the bain of Condo boards.  2 spots for 100 units.  :rofl2:   You'll need 50% of old foggies/landlords on board with this.  Not happening. 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
My Vancouver daughter lives in a False Creek development called King's Landing (built by Concord Pacific in 2005). A few years ago the condo board offered owners a deal on a group buy and installation of level II chargers. Purely a guesstimate but I'd say it looks like about 1/3 of the owners decided to participate. My daughter's landlord put a charger in each of the two parking stalls that go with her condo. It's starting to become less unusual to see having a charger at the parking stall listed as one of the amenities in listings out there. Interestingly, the majority of the charger equipped stalls look to have ICE vehicles parked there. I guess many owners were thinking of adding value for the future.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R

I posted before I read this.  Whose going to be the Police Person?  Informants?  Owners against owners?

Telsa charges idle fees. So if your EV is connected and its not charging, you pay Idle fees that keeps going up.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
In places like Montreal they have street parking with charging, etc.

Author bought a low range EV without any home charging infra????

I wouldn't buy an EV if I didn't own my parking spot and charging infrastructure for it... even if it's a 120v plug for a radiator, that'd give something overnight...

A PHEV could work in this type of scenario though.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Yes, but why would a condo board vote to spend communal funds to the sole benefit of a few?  Until you get a demand sufficient for the board to spend whatever is required on electrical upgrades (if needed) you aren't likely to see them installing chargers "just because". Even then I would expect it would be up to the individual condo owners to pay to have a charger installed at their stall. That's what happened in my daughter's building in Van

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
When personal transportation transitioned from horse and buggy to internal combustion engine cars, there was no poo-tax levied on horse ownership as a disincentive to owning horses or a tax break for ICE cars to accelerate their adoption. That transition happened because ICE cars proved an intrinsically superior form of transportation. Right now governments are incentivizing EVs with tax  breaks and penalizing ICE cars with taxation but until EVs prove an intrinsically superior form of personal transportation, that transition is not going to happen for the majority.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
When personal transportation transitioned from horse and buggy to internal combustion engine cars, there was no poo-tax levied on horse ownership as a disincentive to owning horses or a tax break for ICE cars to accelerate their adoption. That transition happened because ICE cars proved an intrinsically superior form of transportation. Right now governments are incentivizing EVs with tax  breaks and penalizing ICE cars with taxation but until EVs prove an intrinsically superior form of personal transportation, that transition is not going to happen for the majority.

Meanwhile in Quebec...

We've reached 8.7% of the overall passenger car sales in 2022, pushing overall fleet data to 2.5%, rising exponentially every year. In my town we're past 10%, every other house has an EVSE and many only have EV's in their driveways. Suburbia is perfect for EVs, big cities and rural regions not so much.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile

We've reached 8.7% of the overall passenger car sales in 2022, pushing overall fleet data to 2.5%, rising exponentially every year. In my town we're past 10%, every other house has an EVSE and many only have EV's in their driveways. Suburbia is perfect for EVs, big cities and rural regions not so much.

Amazing what bribery can do, eh?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6

Amazing what bribery can do, eh?

Factor in expensive gas, cheap and clean hydro power and a general cleaner vibe here than in the rest of the country. And cash on the hood always helps  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
I know a few people who wanted an EV as their next vehicle, but for various reasons (price and availability being the main factors) decided to purchase an interim vehicle before making the EV leap.

Best example is my CTO who had a deposit down on a Taycan Cross Turismo and then decided to keep his AMG C43 wagon instead.  :D

I think a lot of people want to make the move to EV but for whatever reason it doesn't work for them yet. One friend got a PHEV in the meantime with the intent to upgrade to a full EV in a few years.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
I know a few people who wanted an EV as their next vehicle, but for various reasons (price and availability being the main factors) decided to purchase an interim vehicle before making the EV leap.

I think a lot of people want to make the move to EV but for whatever reason it doesn't work for them yet. One friend got a PHEV in the meantime with the intent to upgrade to a full EV in a few years.

That's exactly us, nothing was available in our price range with AWD. Wife was pushing hard for an electric or at least a hybrid

Could totally see us switching to an electric/PHEV Crosstrek type thing in the future for most of our daily driving, keeping the RX for long trips

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Agree that having an EV makes a lot more sense when you are a 2 car family. I think an ICE vehicle will remain the preferred choice for roadtrips at least until there is far more charging infrastructure combined with advances in rapid charging technology.