Author Topic: Bought a Second Honda  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
Bought a Second Honda
« on: May 20, 2023, 03:48:00 pm »
Old Briggs and Stratton died so I picked up a Honda

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: Bought a Second Honda
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 05:34:12 pm »
That must be a big step up! Honda small engines always seemed like something special

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 05:51:55 pm »
What will be the first mod, a Type R emblem or a K&N filter?  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 06:14:02 pm »
That must be a big step up! Honda small engines always seemed like something special

The commercial grade ones are bombproof (GXV OHV). while the residential ones are very good (OHC). My cheapie OHC is going on 23 years of neglect.  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 06:16:43 pm »

The commercial grade ones are bombproof (GXV OHV). while the residential ones are very good (OHC). My cheapie OHC is going on 23 years of neglect.  ;D

Had the oil ever been changed?

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 06:23:25 pm »

Reading the manual they want an oil change after the first 5 hours, then pretty much annually

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 06:26:02 pm »

I was thinking about asking Ron about some kind of tune  :D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 08:03:24 pm »

Maybe twice with a mix of heels from almost empty containers. Original plug and I shook the air filter out once or twice.  Sometimes she gets old gas, sometimes premium from the Husky and sometimes 2 stroke mix. Whatever is lying around.

Starts first pull.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 11:47:57 pm »
This might be a collector item.

Honda announced they will not sell gas powered mowers in the US after September.

Days might be numbered here.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 12:30:15 am »

Maybe twice with a mix of heels from almost empty containers. Original plug and I shook the air filter out once or twice.  Sometimes she gets old gas, sometimes premium from the Husky and sometimes 2 stroke mix. Whatever is lying around.

Starts first pull.

Mine gets about the same treatment. Have 2 stroke mix in it for first tank of the year because it’s all I had on hand. Has had a few oil changes in the 20 years I’ve had it. Had to change the plug last year. Original air filter that’s banged against the garbage bin once every few years for a clean.

Nice mower Allen.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2023, 12:35:05 am »

Honda announced they will not sell gas powered mowers in the US after September.

Oh no. I have to source a 2 stroke lawn boy..

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12388
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2023, 05:44:34 am »

:rofl: :rofl2:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2023, 09:20:14 am »
I

Yes I had heard that too. I needed a new mower like Allen so I went and picked up a Honda base model about  a month ago.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2023, 09:48:04 am »
I

Yes I had heard that too. I needed a new mower like Allen so I went and picked up a Honda base model about  a month ago.

I'm now on season 3 with the Greenworks 80V cordless mower kit (mower, trimmer and blower). No sign of the batteries losing juice yet. So. Much. Easier. Would have loved an electric Honda but they did not have any at the time. I don't know if they're pulling out of the garden tools market, or if they're addding electric options?
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2023, 10:15:54 am »
I have an old Toro I bought used 13 years ago and it's still going strong. Started first pull when I pulled out of it the shed. 

But when it dies I'm 100% going electric.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2023, 10:22:55 am »
I

I'm now on season 3 with the Greenworks 80V cordless mower kit (mower, trimmer and blower). No sign of the batteries losing juice yet. So. Much. Easier. Would have loved an electric Honda but they did not have any at the time. I don't know if they're pulling out of the garden tools market, or if they're addding electric options?

Batteries ill be key. I doubt storing them in my shed that they will still be kicking 20 years in...

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2023, 11:42:19 am »
 :iagree: and just like cars they are more expensive  ::)

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2023, 12:39:23 pm »
Got my mom a new Ego electric mower to replace an old gas Toro a few years back. Also has the electric blower and trimmer from same lineup so batteries are all compatible between them.

So far, no issues with any of them. Batteries are kept between mows inside the house so they are not subject to temperature fluctuations in the shed. Gas is a pain IMO for residential use. Noisy, smelly, maintenance and then having to search out for ethanol-free gas. Almost all of the gas now has ethanol in it and it does damage to the carbs on all these small engines unless you pay for premium without ethanol which is obviously much more $$$.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2023, 03:03:46 pm »
I have never avoided ethanol gas for my mower. No issues. Spent 10 minutes of time in maintenance in 23 years on this mower. What will a 23 year old battery look like?

Having gasoline around the household is essential. You need gasoline for your generator for when the power goes out and you need to charge the batteries for your electric mower/chainsaw/trimmer.  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2023, 03:51:23 pm »
:iagree: and just like cars they are more expensive  ::)

I got my Greenworks kit at Costco (mower + trimmer + blower + charger + two batteries) for around $600. Fast forward 3 years and today you only get mower+charger+batteries for that price. The cheapest Honda is $749.