Author Topic: New family hauler  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12388
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: New family hauler
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 09:29:54 am »
Sweet!  I love black wheel and trim on a white car.  Enjoy!

Exactly the colour combo my daughter wants in her new ride. Black alloys pair very well with light colours, especially white. They are just had to photograph !! Looking at it right now through the Starbucks windows - it looks great and maintains a bit of "square" in an ovoid world.

Yup!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2023, 09:53:54 am »
Prices have crept up - a lot. Initially the Tiguan was a good deal, but this mid-trim unit is priced quite near the CX-5 Signature while its direct CX-5 competitor would be a less expensive Kuro.

Interior room-wise, wouldn't the Taos and the CX-5 be closer? The Tiguan we rented had tons of back seat space plus a good sized trunk area. From what I understand we get the long wheel base version sold mostly in China and North America

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2023, 03:47:11 pm »
Prices have crept up - a lot. Initially the Tiguan was a good deal, but this mid-trim unit is priced quite near the CX-5 Signature while its direct CX-5 competitor would be a less expensive Kuro.

Interior room-wise, wouldn't the Taos and the CX-5 be closer? The Tiguan we rented had tons of back seat space plus a good sized trunk area. From what I understand we get the long wheel base version sold mostly in China and North America

Europe has the Tiguan (short) and the Tiguan Allspace (ours or long)...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2023, 03:57:09 pm »

It's murky in the SUV world, but the Taos is more aligned with the CX-30, while the CX-5 is the smallest of the "compacts" now that the Tucson and Sportage cousins have been enlarged. CX-50 has a bit less interior room than the CX-5 just to make things easier  :P
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2023, 04:09:13 pm »
If you buy a compact SUV for utility, the Tiguan is one of if not the best choice. Don't care much about the numbers, but the cargo space is more usable than most if not all competitors - adjustable floor, 40-20-40, sliding/reclining rear seats (I hope they still have it), wide, tall square hatch opining, almost flat folding rear seats.....

If it only could be delivered wilt a full engine and with cloth seats in Comfortline trim, it would be a great family SUV for me!

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2023, 06:46:38 pm »
Sweet!  I love black wheel and trim on a white car.  Enjoy!

Storm Trooper look.  :)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2023, 06:53:46 pm »
Congrats!  Nice looking vehicle. 

As a side note, I like that front porches are making a comeback.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2023, 10:39:29 am »
Looks good. When I was looking last year I test drove a Tiguan and it felt very laggy in the throttle inputs  and it hesitated at stops and such, drove me nuts. Sales guy mentioned they all do that. Otherwise it was a nice ride.  I assume VW ironed that out?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2023, 04:58:06 pm »
Looks good. When I was looking last year I test drove a Tiguan and it felt very laggy in the throttle inputs  and it hesitated at stops and such, drove me nuts. Sales guy mentioned they all do that. Otherwise it was a nice ride.  I assume VW ironed that out?

@Patrick_D1, I'd like your input here. My tester hesitated like a carburated 1982 Mazda GLC with bad gas when cold. Every. Single. Time. I left the house, low speed with part throttle and off throttle to slow down around parked cars and peds, it would hesitate and buck like it had trouble getting gas. They can't be all that bad, can they?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2023, 08:36:57 pm »
They can't be all that bad, can they?

Of course they can.  This isn't a Euro VW from the past.   It's an assembled Mexican vehicle with an Mexican assembled engine.  A POS.  A tough pill for VW fan boys to consume.  A company that is eliminating all physical controls in favour of  touch screens.  As the Savage says;  "Have at it".

Enjoy your VWs particularly the Atlas line.   

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2023, 08:00:39 am »

@Patrick_D1, I'd like your input here. My tester hesitated like a carburated 1982 Mazda GLC with bad gas when cold. Every. Single. Time. I left the house, low speed with part throttle and off throttle to slow down around parked cars and peds, it would hesitate and buck like it had trouble getting gas. They can't be all that bad, can they?

Hunting around the net, this behaviour appears to be endemic to the species, something related to emissions and a fast heat cycle for the catalysts (that's one theory at least). It's all over the web, so, yes, they're all that bad it seems.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2023, 09:56:28 am »

Hunting around the net, this behaviour appears to be endemic to the species, something related to emissions and a fast heat cycle for the catalysts (that's one theory at least). It's all over the web, so, yes, they're all that bad it seems.

Like many modern turbo cars, it will keep the wastegate open on cold start to speed catalyst light off, but none of the units I've driven have ever bucked. Slow (no boost) for the first kilometre or so, sure, but settles down pretty quick.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2023, 10:01:23 am »

Like many modern turbo cars, it will keep the wastegate open on cold start to speed catalyst light off, but none of the units I've driven have ever bucked. Slow (no boost) for the first kilometre or so, sure, but settles down pretty quick.

It's probable my narrow residential street exacerbates the behavior, as it's throttle off mostly during "fast idle" to manoeuvre around parked cars and such. If you just start and step on it, well it's more like your description, but with very light on/off throttle it did that every morning and at every cold start.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2023, 10:21:46 am »
It is not ze car at fault dummkopf it is you. This is top notch mexican er German engineering.

When I test drove one it was enough to strike from list. An appliance should work, no excuses.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2023, 10:56:43 am »
Imagine hybrid drivetrains are making gas engine design easier. All the heavy lifting at low speeds/cold engine temps is being done by electrical motors which don't care about cold starts and have huge torque off low throttle

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2023, 11:21:43 am »
If they work they will be great for the 4 years they are under warranty. Wouldn't want to be holding the bag on any of that tech 10-15 years out.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2023, 11:27:35 am »
If they work they will be great for the 4 years they are under warranty. Wouldn't want to be holding the bag on any of that tech 10-15 years out.

The very first hybrids - Insight and Prius - have proven quite reliable over time and mileage. All ICE should at least go the MHEV route to help with emissions and driveability.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2023, 08:14:58 pm »

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2023, 01:51:52 pm »

The very first hybrids - Insight and Prius - have proven quite reliable over time and mileage. All ICE should at least go the MHEV route to help with emissions and driveability.

I've been saying this for years.  Incorporating mild hybrid tech across product lines is carbon-reducing low hanging fruit, IMO.