Author Topic: 2024 Mini Cooper  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
2024 Mini Cooper
« on: April 04, 2023, 11:07:31 am »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: 2024 Mini Cooper
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 01:19:39 pm »
I think those pictures might be of the EV version of the Cooper.  https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/next-gen-mini-cooper-se-ev-spotted-spy-shot

Let's hope that Mini will make some gas versions also, preferably with a manual.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 02:08:30 pm »
I think those pictures might be of the EV version of the Cooper.  https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/next-gen-mini-cooper-se-ev-spotted-spy-shot

Let's hope that Mini will make some gas versions also, preferably with a manual.

The gas version will apparently look a bit different but keeps those taillights. There will be a manual. The lack of chrome window trim, no black plastic flares, and the flush door handles are pretty big departures from the last 20+ years of Mini Coopers – not sure how I feel about those changes.

Here's more details about the F66 (gas) models: https://www.motoringfile.com/2022/12/12/exclusive-first-look-at-the-next-generation-g56-mini-cooper/

Sounds like the G01 (EV) isn't even coming to North American until the 2027 LCI.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 05:03:05 pm »

I'm confused the badge in the back it's says it's the Cooper S, no indication that this is the EV, if you only go by the badging. Looks like it might be, and now this is in the wrong section if it is.
The gas version will apparently look a bit different but keeps those taillights. There will be a manual. The lack of chrome window trim, no black plastic flares, and the flush door handles are pretty big departures from the last 20+ years of Mini Coopers – not sure how I feel about those changes.

OK, got it. So we're only likely to see ICE versions. The new Mini is no longer a true Mini. It's just a BMW really, with all the headaches that come with owning BMWs. I own a 1979 Mini on a T plate, It had a habit of the bonnet hitting the windscreen, and if you went through a puddle too fast, the car would cut out and stall, making it difficult to start again. The Mini is the only car I learned bump-start by myself

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 06:57:44 pm »

I'm confused the badge in the back it's says it's the Cooper S, no indication that this is the EV, if you only go by the badging. Looks like it might be, and now this is in the wrong section if it is.

OK, got it. So we're only likely to see ICE versions. The new Mini is no longer a true Mini. It's just a BMW really, with all the headaches that come with owning BMWs. I own a 1979 Mini on a T plate, It had a habit of the bonnet hitting the windscreen, and if you went through a puddle too fast, the car would cut out and stall, making it difficult to start again. The Mini is the only car I learned bump-start by myself

The S is yellow which means it's an EV.  :) There will be base, S, and JCW versions of both the EV and ICE models.

My understanding is that the pre LCI EV will be built only in China, and we have to wait until they start building the EV in the UK. We will be getting the made in Germany Countryman EV that goes into production soon.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 07:54:45 am »
The S is yellow which means it's an EV.  :)

Um, isn't blue the standard color for electric?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 08:26:04 am »
The S is yellow which means it's an EV.  :)

Um, isn't blue the standard color for electric?

I dunno if I'd say there is a standard but blue does seem to be commonly used.