Author Topic: 1989 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance - Dent buys something completely different  (Read 13476 times)

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
A replacement vinyl is not a ton of money. Apparently there is some extra structure when stripping it off. The car has been repainted at some point. They went from a lighter to slightly darker hearing aid beige which means someone (or two someones) choose for this car to be beige twice!

Strangely filler plate decay do not seem to be an issue around here. I've rarely ever seen it even on the most beater of cars. Must be our climate I guess? Which is odd given we get hot summer/cold winters but it seems to be very common elsewhere. Maybe a moisture thing?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
A replacement vinyl is not a ton of money. Apparently there is some extra structure when stripping it off.

I wasn't thinking of that.  Strip it off, remove all the fastners, bondo the holes up and paint it black.  Just a random thought.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Strangely filler plate decay do not seem to be an issue around here. I've rarely ever seen it even on the most beater of cars. Must be our climate I guess? Which is odd given we get hot summer/cold winters but it seems to be very common elsewhere. Maybe a moisture thing?

I always assumed it was the intensity of the solar radiation.

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
A replacement vinyl is not a ton of money. Apparently there is some extra structure when stripping it off.

I wasn't thinking of that.  Strip it off, remove all the fastners, bondo the holes up and paint it black.  Just a random thought.

It apparently is not as easy as that. They only offered the coupe (rarely) without the vinyl roof, otherwise the roof underneath is not fully finished and so required metal work to get it flat and finished nicely. Which is unfortunate.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
I had a tin top 1981 Coupe Deville in medium grey. Also, more recently had a 1995 Fleetwood that was also a rare vinyl delete car.

I like the look but they can be a real ugly mess underneath. My friends parents had a nice colonnade Cutlass that literally rotted from the roof downwards because of the vinyl top. Remember having a cutlass myself with rust under the top, my uncle called it “warble flys” like what happens to cattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile

Finally insured and registered. Out for a few short drives today. A few small issues to resolve like the speedo cable needs lubed and the sun roof is making some noise but overall seems to run good.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Looks like a nice comfy ride. All she needs is a nice long set of horns on the hood!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Looking good. Is this your new daily?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Finally insured and registered. Out for a few short drives today. A few small issues to resolve like the speedo cable needs lubed and the sun roof is making some noise but overall seems to run good.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
I put it on cheap classic insurance so I won't be driving it to work but as an occasional driver.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
need horns. Go full AB douche

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Nice, enjoy!

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile

Went to a mini car show / cars and coffee thing. Not great weather so low turn out.

I've had this plate on a number of cars but sort of works for the Cadillac with its 307cid engine. VFK307 - very fine kar 307?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile

Went to a mini car show / cars and coffee thing. Not great weather so low turn out.

I've had this plate on a number of cars but sort of works for the Cadillac with its 307cid engine. VFK307 - very fine kar 307?

Uhh you look like you are taking up 4 spots.  :rofl2:

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500

Uhh you look like you are taking up 4 spots.  :rofl2:

Classic 'Berta scene!

Makes me wish for the days I had my old beater Pathfinder. I'd squeeze in between those two and crawl out the back hatch.  :rofl2:  :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Tremendous looking rear end on those vehicles.  Nice job.  And those black walls look appropriate.

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
I drive a luxury car now - aren't I supposed to take four spots up? And stop using my turn signals?  :rofl2:

I did my oil change yesterday. No issues there. Fixed the rear tail light. Bad connection created by a previous owner with the tow hitch install. Sold the tow hitch as well so subtract $100 from the budget.

Less successful with the speedometer cable removal (its noisy, I need to lube it). Came out of the transmission easily.

Access is tight. Got to this point with not much give on the speedometer coming out.

The silver cylinder is the speedometer cable. It, in theory, is released by pressing down on that tab. Unfortunately, mine does not release. Room is extremely tight for such a big car. I'll have to give this go another time. It would be a heck of lot easier if there was just another inch of slack. Given how big the car is access is annoyingly tight.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI

Beautiful!!

How are the headlights...I think with a lot of these older vehicles, restoring and cleaning the headlights is a must....we are so used to bright LEDs nowadays that older halogens are perceived as really dim specially if the glass is clouded over.

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Headlights are poor. Brakes are poor. Handling is poor.  It is essentially a late 70s car sold into 1989.  ;D

They are sealed beam headlights so no polishing needed. They can just be replaced. That said they are in ok shape just dim by today's standards. Some owners have replaced tail lights with LEDs for example that won't be me. It is what it is and I don't plan to drive through snow storms for example.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Headlights are poor. Brakes are poor. Handling is poor.  It is essentially a late 70s car sold into 1989.  ;D

:rofl2: