Author Topic: 1989 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance - Dent buys something completely different  (Read 13478 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
In the trunk you can lock the license plate in place so that it does not fold down. The gas filler is behind so it prevents gas theft or someone putting sugar in the tank.

That's really inventive.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
In the trunk you can lock the license plate in place so that it does not fold down. The gas filler is behind so it prevents gas theft or someone putting sugar in the tank.

That's really inventive.
My dad was a gas pump jockey in the late 50s at Beaver..and said the trick back then was even finding the gas fill holes as many of them were well hidden on the cars of the time.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,

That's really inventive.
My dad was a gas pump jockey in the late 50s at Beaver..and said the trick back then was even finding the gas fill holes as many of them were well hidden on the cars of the time.

I can't remember the model but wasn't there a car where the gas fill was behind a hinged tail light assembly?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
My grandfather drove a long series of Cadillac Coup De Ville's from the 1960's until his last car in 1979 (convertibles until they stopped making them in 1970 and then coupe's). My first ever driving experience starting at about age 12 was in one of these on the private 1/2 mile dirt road into his hobby farm/cottage. Very fond memories.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 06:25:36 am by sailor723 »

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile

That's really inventive.

I can't remember the model but wasn't there a car where the gas fill was behind a hinged tail light assembly?

mid fifties Chevy?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350

That's really inventive.

mid fifties Chevy?

That's what I remember from my weeks as a gas attendant.   :D 

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
As the wise 50 Cent said...

I don't know what you heard about me
But a b*tch can't get a dollar out of me
No Cadillac, no perms, you can't see
That I'm a motherf***in' P.I.M.P...

While this was in fact, the theme song for my former black 560 SEL, it's way more suited to this...
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE

That's really inventive.

Late 40s, early 50s Cadillac.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
How'd it drive? The full Uncle Buck, or not too bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XolGQlIkO9Q

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
So I managed to get a flat when bringing it home. One tire won't hold air for more than five minutes. Can't blame that on a previous owner. It was already wearing a spare so I need new tires. D'oh. I did not plan for that in the budget as the size with a white wall is hard to get these days. Doubly so in Canada.

The heater core was bypassed (I knew this but the part is super cheap). It was accessible from under the hood so I assumed it would be easy. Not horrible but not super easy either. There is a giant one piece cover that has a ton of bolts (some well hidden!) and is glued with sealer to the firewall. It would have been much easier to take the hood off but I did not do that. The really long hood hurts here as well it does not open at a generous angle. Oddly this is not well documented online.

Cover off ... eventually.

The new one is significantly lighter not that it will make a difference on the 4000+lb Cadillac.

New heater core in. Since the photo I've re-routed the hoses and added coolant but untested because I can't drive it on the three tires that hold wind.

This arrived (on a Saturday!) literally minutes after I buttoned up the repair. Flicking through it I have to say its on the poor side for a Haynes manual unfortunately.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 01:50:22 pm by Arthur Dent »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Covers 23 model years.  :rofl2:

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Covers 23 model years.  :rofl2:

Lol. That's probably why it's not up to par...

Nice work on the heater core AD, looks like an unpleasant spot to be working in, but at least you didn't have to take the dash apart.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Heater cores are the sh*ts.  I have found that the EURO cores are near lifetime.  The "Detroit" cores and that probably includes American assembled Japanese units will fail.  I suspect the newer stuff to fail more.

As seen in Arthur's pic you can't really judge a leaking core by it's appearance.  Similar with rads.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
So I managed to get a flat when bringing it home. One tire won't hold air for more than five minutes. Can't blame that on a previous owner. It was already wearing a spare so I need new tires. D'oh. I did not plan for that in the budget as the size with a white wall is hard to get these days. Doubly so in Canada.

The answer always is...

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Yep, finding whitewalls is a real bear. My 64 Galaxie needed a set of 14” (unbelievably small for such a boat) and the options were very limited and expensive. Managed to score a set on Facebook marketplace for $100. The ugly beige coupe Deville (which I’ll get a pic of) has a lovely set as well, about the best thing about that car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Yep, finding whitewalls is a real bear. My 64 Galaxie needed a set of 14” (unbelievably small for such a boat) and the options were very limited and expensive. Managed to score a set on Facebook marketplace for $100. The ugly beige coupe Deville (which I’ll get a pic of) has a lovely set as well, about the best thing about that car.

For white walls you can go either Phoney Baloneys or paint kits these days it seems since they are hard to find

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6

For white walls you can go either Phoney Baloneys or paint kits these days it seems since they are hard to find

Tire Rack has a whitewall option at 112.99 USD:

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile

There is a 35 page thread on ww tires on Cadillac forum. That Kinergy seems to be the current choice. I just need to find a local supplier. Or drive to the border. Currency conversion is poor right now. :(

https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/the-official-whitewall-thread.181612/

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

There is a 35 page thread on ww tires on Cadillac forum. That Kinergy seems to be the current choice. I just need to find a local supplier. Or drive to the border. Currency conversion is poor right now. :(

https://www.cadillacforums.com/threads/the-official-whitewall-thread.181612/

Yup, 1.35, meaning 153 CDN per tire, plus shipping

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE

The answer always is...

:rofl2: