Author Topic: 2023 Acura Integra Manual Review and Video  (Read 2357 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
2023 Acura Integra Manual Review and Video
« on: February 21, 2023, 10:55:28 am »
No, this isn’t the Integra you remember – and that isn’t Acura’s fault.
Read more...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: 2023 Acura Integra Manual Review and Video
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 11:12:20 am »
Nice car that definitely needs a rear spoiler  :P
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 12:59:48 pm »
Power 9/10??? Oh right, it's Dan, never mind...

Styling 10/10??? With the section containing the wording "not necessarily a criticism"? LOL! Oh right, it's Dan, never mind...

I found this car wholly underwhelming when I reviewed it - while it's nice and I wouldn't actually mind owning one, it doesn't deserve Acura's hallowed Integra nameplate, it definitely doesn't warrant the price bump over the Civic Si and the manual transmission is one of the least sporty manuals I've driven in a while.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12422
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 01:07:40 pm »

Styling 10/10??? With the section containing the wording "not necessarily a criticism"? LOL! Oh right, it's Dan, never mind...

I found this car wholly underwhelming when I reviewed it - while it's nice and I wouldn't actually mind owning one, it doesn't deserve Acura's hallowed Integra nameplate, it definitely doesn't warrant the price bump over the Civic Si and the manual transmission is one of the least sporty manuals I've driven in a while.

Are ALL of your posts dedicated to taking pot-shots at other reviewers?  That seems weird.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 01:14:31 pm »

Are ALL of your posts dedicated to taking pot-shots at other reviewers?  That seems weird.

Nope. Just one of them. Because I always find that reviewer's insanely high ratings (that aren't supported by the information in his articles) odd.

Although I'm thrilled I warranted a comment of my own from you, you're welcome to scroll right by my posts if you think they're weird though.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 01:26:22 pm »
$37K pre tax for the base unit in manual.  2 colours ... silver and white for an extra $500.   ::)

$50K as tested  ???

Honestly how does Acura sell these things?  Answer:  I don't think they do.

Just stupid to recycle the 1.5 in this vehicle.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 01:35:21 pm »
I would agree with that statement if they badged it as a "Type S" or "Type R" or whatnot, but this is meant to be compared to just the regular old Integra.  When the Type S comes out as a Acura Honda Civic Type R, it'll be worthy of that badge. 

What I never understood is people complaining about the performance of the Integra as they compare it to the Integra's of the past...but you aren't comparing to those are you, you are comparing to the Integra Type S/R and other special Integra's, this is just a base Integra.

I would agree that it does not deserve the price bump over a Civic Si, unless you really value having that "hatch", you want the leather seating, adjustable dampers, luxury badge, and much better stereo.  For me it isn't worth it, but for someone else, maybe so.

Offline PoweredSilenceGT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-75
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 01:39:24 pm »
Relatively speaking, these are the most powerful base Integras ever. Back in the day, base Integras had less power than the top dog Civics (Si, SiR). These new Integras are on par with the current Civic SI.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2023, 01:55:01 pm »
I would agree with that statement if they badged it as a "Type S" or "Type R" or whatnot, but this is meant to be compared to just the regular old Integra.  When the Type S comes out as a Acura Honda Civic Type R, it'll be worthy of that badge. 

What I never understood is people complaining about the performance of the Integra as they compare it to the Integra's of the past...but you aren't comparing to those are you, you are comparing to the Integra Type S/R and other special Integra's, this is just a base Integra.

I would agree that it does not deserve the price bump over a Civic Si, unless you really value having that "hatch", you want the leather seating, adjustable dampers, luxury badge, and much better stereo.  For me it isn't worth it, but for someone else, maybe so.

agree 100%

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra; 2012 Civic (Junior1), 2013 Sentra (Junior2)
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 02:17:00 pm »
^ Also agree.

The Integra nameplate to me doesn't mean any sort of halo car. It was just a good fwd coupe/sedan.  The Type R turned it into something else.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2023, 02:19:55 pm »
^ Also agree.

The Integra nameplate to me doesn't mean any sort of halo car. It was just a good fwd coupe/sedan.  The Type R turned it into something else.
Yup, and I think the upcoming Type S based off the Civic Type R will also turn it into something else.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2023, 02:34:34 pm »
I would agree with that statement if they badged it as a "Type S" or "Type R" or whatnot, but this is meant to be compared to just the regular old Integra. When the Type S comes out as a Acura Honda Civic Type R, it'll be worthy of that badge. 

Agreed - and that very valid point was made in the review.  For damned sure not every Integra from back in the day was "hallowed".

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2023, 02:46:10 pm »
I remember when the Integra first came out here in 1987. Actually test drove one, and may very well have bought it except that the seat didn't go back far enough to fit my 6'3" self.

Even the base model felt pretty "special" at the time: 16V DOHC engine! And disc brakes at each corner!  :rofl2:

It was certainly a noticeable step up from the Civic of the day.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2023, 02:54:16 pm »
I remember when the Integra first came out here in 1987. Actually test drove one, and may very well have bought it except that the seat didn't go back far enough to fit my 6'3" self.

Even the base model felt pretty "special" at the time: 16V DOHC engine! And disc brakes at each corner!  :rofl2:

Yes, this is what I should have said - much more succinct and more to the point than what I wrote. Integras in the past, right from the get-go, were notably different from Civics to drive in terms of feeling somewhat special and more capable. And that is what is not felt here. Honestly, it feels spongier and softer than the Civic in almost every way.

Again, as my earlier post, I really like the car - I just wish they hadn't built it up so much before the launch and I wish it had a different name. Did the GS-R and finally the Type R ratchet it up several notches? Yes, of course. But to me, and nobody needs to share this opinion obviously, the Integras (even base) of the past were special cars to drive. And this one is not. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2023, 04:08:54 pm »
$37K pre tax for the base unit in manual.  2 colours ... silver and white for an extra $500.   ::)

$50K as tested  ???

Honestly how does Acura sell these things?  Answer:  I don't think they do.

Just stupid to recycle the 1.5 in this vehicle.

Did not realize that the Si is the exact same price as the base Integra.  Exact same financing.  Exact same 5 year payment.  Thought the Si was about $33K.   :o

Honda should face the fact that the Acura TLX is a TURKEY.  Get rid of that line and put some of those resources into a 2 door Integra hatch with the 2 litre turbo.   They could do a base for $40K.  Could not build enough of them. 

That's what more than many buyers want.  2 doors and a hatch.  Save the 4 door units for the SUVs and the Accord crowd.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2023, 04:21:46 pm »
Acura, as a brand, has been in search for an identity since its inception to this day... Not enough to differentiate from Honda in order to claim a seat at the luxury table IMO.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2023, 04:26:13 pm »
That's what more than many buyers want.  2 doors and a hatch.  Save the 4 door units for the SUVs and the Accord crowd.

Two door coupes are basically non-existent today because people didn't buy them.

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2023, 05:30:52 pm »

Yes, this is what I should have said - much more succinct and more to the point than what I wrote. Integras in the past, right from the get-go, were notably different from Civics to drive in terms of feeling somewhat special and more capable. And that is what is not felt here. Honestly, it feels spongier and softer than the Civic in almost every way.

Again, as my earlier post, I really like the car - I just wish they hadn't built it up so much before the launch and I wish it had a different name. Did the GS-R and finally the Type R ratchet it up several notches? Yes, of course. But to me, and nobody needs to share this opinion obviously, the Integras (even base) of the past were special cars to drive. And this one is not.
Okay so part of that hype was self inflicted, mainly by people our age who lusted over the old Integra, which hasn’t been around in two decades.  So there was quite a bit of built up nostalgia for such a car.

You stating that the Integra should feel more special than the Civic, again, over the past two decades, mainstream vehicles have ALL gotten so good that the spread between entry level luxury vehicles and good mainstream vehicles is quite small.  It’s not the 90’s.  You are disappointed in the Integra not being special enough, but what you should be acknowledging is how good the Civic has become since the last Integra era.  It’s the same with the Golf and the Audi A3, the only difference is there hasn’t been a 20 year gap between models.

I totally agree on the price argument, and as AS said above it would have been nice if they gave it its own body style (coupe lift back) but the economics of it just don’t work.  Much like wagons in NA, coupes are few and far between, in fact, what compact car can you get in a coupe anymore?  I can’t really think of any outside of the BRZ/GR86.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 05:55:02 pm by JohnnyMac »

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2023, 06:47:31 pm »
^^^ Nailed it. Again.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2023, 06:49:28 pm »
Might make a really nice 2-3 year old used buy if values don't hold relative to the Civic.