Author Topic: What Books Are You Reading?  (Read 2439 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: What Books Are You Reading?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2023, 09:05:00 am »
You guys are too highbrow for me.  ;D

Most recent here is John Sandford's latest Prey novel Righteous Prey and Lee Child's new Jack Reacher book No Plan B. I also got Donna Leon's latest in her Commissario Brunetti series (book 31) for Christmas (titled  Give Unto Others) and Racing The Light by Robert Crais.....the latest in his Elvis Cole/Joe Pike LA detective series.

I am a voracious fiction reader and read everything from action adventure to police procedurals to classic British whodunit murder mystery to Si Fi/space opera to military historical fiction

Nah, I'm in the same boat as you.  Love police procedurals.  Not sure if I've read the latest Prey book, though.

By the time I sit down to read at night, the thought of a Stalin biography doesn't provide much relaxation.  My non-fiction reading doesn't get any more highbrow than Malcolm Gladwell or Jared Diamond.

It’s pretty good. This one has Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers working together rather than one just making cameos in the other’s story
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 09:08:38 am »

Most recent here is John Sandford's latest Prey novel Righteous Prey and Lee Child's new Jack Reacher book No Plan B. I also got Donna Leon's latest in her Commissario Brunetti series (book 31) for Christmas (titled  Give Unto Others) and Racing The Light by Robert Crais.....the latest in his Elvis Cole/Joe Pike LA detective series.

I am a voracious fiction reader and read everything from action adventure to police procedurals to classic British whodunit murder mystery to Si Fi/space opera to military historical fiction

Nah, I'm in the same boat as you.  Love police procedurals.  Not sure if I've read the latest Prey book, though.

By the time I sit down to read at night, the thought of a Stalin biography doesn't provide much relaxation.  My non-fiction reading doesn't get any more highbrow than Malcolm Gladwell or Jared Diamond.

It’s pretty good. This one has Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers working together rather than one just making cameos in the other’s story

Double checked, and I haven't read this one yet.  You just made my day!

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2023, 03:25:52 pm »
Started the Alchemist as an audiobook.  I've read it a long time ago, figure it would be a good one for my first audiobook.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2023, 05:49:13 pm »
Currently reading Don 'the Snake' Prudhomme: My Life Beyond the 1320.

I've been a fan of 'the Snake' since the late 60s, so this was a must-read by me.  Written with Elana Scherr, who contributes to a number of automotive publications.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2023, 10:11:47 pm »
Finished that Grand Canyon book. Was much more than just an account of the fastest run down the canyon (which was pretty amazing) - also lots of history and the story behind the fight to preserve the canyon. I didn’t realize there were once plans to dam the whole river. They wanted to turn basically the whole thing into a reservoir.

Then read Dead In The Water. Story of a major crime at sea: basically billionaires being billionaires (i.e. douchebags) and getting away with it. A good book, but probably a bit longer than it needed to be.

Wanted to read Winners Take All next (another book about billionaires being douchebags ;) ) but figured it was time for some fiction. Downloaded Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca, but haven’t quite got to it yet.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 10:15:42 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2023, 06:07:31 am »
Excited that this is coming out on Tuesday. I've been reading the series for years. It is the story of Caesar from the earliest days in Gaul to, well i guess his death  outside the Forum. Kind of cute that given the title it's being released on the 15th. ;D

The story is told through the eyes of one of his legion commanders and later staff officers...........  so I'm wondering if the series will continue after Caesar's death and cover Octavian's rise to power and the final end of the republic?

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2023, 12:12:13 pm »
The Wonder Book of Geometry: A Mathematical Story by David Acheson. One of my goals is to branch out and read more books about math.

Nice.!  it's the kind of book I think I would like.

I'm on a audio book : The Invisible History of the human race by Christine Kenneally.   but I always put it on for bed and pass right out.  ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2023, 01:42:40 pm »

Just read the new John Sandford called "Dark Angel".....  Spinoff from the Prey series featuring Lucas Davenport's daughter as the main protagonist. She's working as a trouble shooter for a US senator who chairs the Homeland Security committee. Very similar style and format to the prey novels.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2023, 03:02:12 pm »

Just read the new John Sandford called "Dark Angel".....  Spinoff from the Prey series featuring Lucas Davenport's daughter as the main protagonist. She's working as a trouble shooter for a US senator who chairs the Homeland Security committee. Very similar style and format to the prey novels.

Awesome, my to-read list gets better and better  :rofl2:

I've been on a bit of a Beatles listening kick lately, partly because my 6-year old loves them.  I picked up "Dreaming the Beatles" by Rob Sheffield and I'm looking forward to digging into that while I listen to late-night music...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2023, 07:38:05 pm »

Awesome, my to-read list gets better and better  :rofl2:

I've been on a bit of a Beatles listening kick lately, partly because my 6-year old loves them.  I picked up "Dreaming the Beatles" by Rob Sheffield and I'm looking forward to digging into that while I listen to late-night music...

Dark Angel is actually the second book in Sandford's new "Letty Davenport" series. The first is called "The Investigator" and if you haven't read it you might want to start there. Letty is 100% a chip off the old block.  ;D

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2023, 02:43:07 pm »
Colder weather means more book reading, in my case, at least.

Let the Eastern Bastards Freeze in the Dark: The West Versus the Rest Since Confederation by Mary Janigan.

A very thorough examination on how western Canada has attempted to control its resources since confederation.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2023, 04:15:35 pm »
With all the hubbub Currently rereading:

The Iran-Iraq War by Pierre Razoux