Author Topic: What Books Are You Reading?  (Read 2445 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
What Books Are You Reading?
« on: February 02, 2023, 07:19:17 pm »
February is I Love To Read Month. 

Currently, I'm reading "Lost Connections" by Johann Hari.  The book looks at his history of depression, his extensive research into SSRI anti-depressants and how they may not be all they're cracked up to be.

What are my fellow forum members reading?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: What Books Are You Reading?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 07:31:31 pm »
Labyrinth of Ice: The triumphant and tragic greely polar expedition

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 07:36:21 pm »
Kevin Fedarko

The Emerald Mile: The Epic Story of the Fastest Ride in History Through the Heart of the Grand Canyon

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 07:45:07 pm »

I'm very interested in Arctic exploration.  I'll add that book to my list.

My fascination with the topic began in 1984 with the Owen Beatty expedition to King William Island to exhume three Franklin sailors.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 07:54:00 pm »
Killers of the Flower Moon. Currently being turned into a movie directed by Scorsese and starring DiCaprio, De Niro, and Jesse Plemons.

The book investigates a series of murders of wealthy Osage people that took place in Osage County, Oklahoma in the early 1920s—after big oil deposits were discovered beneath their land. After the Osage are awarded rights in court to the profits made from oil deposits found on their land, the Osage people prepare to receive the wealth to which they are legally entitled from sales of their oil deposits.

The Osage are viewed as the "middle man" and a complex plot is hatched to eliminate the Osage inheritors on a one-by-one basis by any means possible. Officially, the count of the full-blooded, wealthy Osage victims reaches at least twenty, but Grann suspects that hundreds more may have been killed because of their ties to oil. The book details the newly formed FBI's investigation of the murders, as well as the eventual trial and conviction of cattleman William Hale as the mastermind behind the plot.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7209
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 08:01:11 pm »
I'm still reading Personal Memoirs of US Grant.

Granted, I read it a bit more slowly because I have maps nearby so I can "plot" who is where when he's describing the moves in battle.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 08:48:49 pm »

My fascination with the topic began in 1984 with the Owen Beatty expedition to King William Island to exhume three Franklin sailors.

Haven’t got to it yet, but this one is on my list: https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Icebound/Andrea-Pitzer/9781982113353

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 09:33:02 pm »

Haven’t got to it yet, but this one is on my list: https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Icebound/Andrea-Pitzer/9781982113353

Read Frozen In Time many years ago when it first came out and it was a very interesting read.  Had to check that I still have it. 

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 09:38:44 pm »
Recently started reading Timbuktu: The Sahara's Fabled City Of Gold  Think I picked this up while vacationing in NS last summer and is written by a writer couple local to there. 

The first book for general readers about the storied past of one of the world’s most fabled cities.

Timbuktu — the name still evokes an exotic, faraway place, even though the city’s glory days are long gone. Unspooling its history and legends, resolving myth with reality, Marq de Villiers and Sheila Hirtle have captured the splendour and decay of one of humankind’s treasures.

https://www.amazon.ca/Timbuktu-Saharas-Fabled-City-Gold/dp/0771026471

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 07:08:27 am »
I'm still reading Personal Memoirs of US Grant.

Granted, I read it a bit more slowly because I have maps nearby so I can "plot" who is where when he's describing the moves in battle.

Good book. I would also suggest Sherman by Liddell Heart and Civil War Stories by Bearce (short stories)...I was on a civil war kick a few years back
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 09:36:57 am »
Karl Marx - The Capital
I have to catch up on my brainwashing

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 10:30:52 am »
Currently reading Ian Rankin's A Heart Full of Headstones , and also picking away at Adrian Newey's How To Build A Car.

Most of my reading the past few months has been to finally finish 6-8 books that I had started at various points in time and just never finished.  One of them was a book I started while my wife and I were on vacation just prior to my daughter being born.  She's 8 now.  :rofl2:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 11:58:40 am »
Currently reading Ian Rankin's A Heart Full of Headstones , and also picking away at Adrian Newey's How To Build A Car.

Most of my reading the past few months has been to finally finish 6-8 books that I had started at various points in time and just never finished.  One of them was a book I started while my wife and I were on vacation just prior to my daughter being born.  She's 8 now.  :rofl2:

Yeah, that's par for the course for us.  Probably dozens of books in out library that have book marks still inside, and a small stack of books in the queue. I think we like buying books as much as reading them.  ;D

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 11:59:22 am »
Last book I read was the biography of Joseph Stalin

I find that stuff interesting, see where people comes from.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 12:24:57 pm »

Same here. Should look that up. Which one?

I never seem to have time to sit down and read a book, but like to get a list together to listen to as audiobooks on long trips

So far a few biographies I've liked:

Steve Jobs: https://www.amazon.ca/Steve-Jobs-Walter-Isaacson/dp/1451648537

Dave Grohl: https://www.amazon.ca/Storyteller-Tales-Life-Music/dp/0063076098

Keith Richards: https://www.amazon.ca/Life-Keith-Richards/dp/031603441X

Henry Ford's was really interesting too, can't remember which one it was

Jobs and Ford were lessons in how flawed industry movers and shakers can be, and how much failure can go together with success

Grohl and Richards I found just super entertaining, made the miles fly by

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2023, 12:27:04 pm »
In the biography genre, the best one I read in 2022 was "Shoe Dog" by Phil Knight (founder of Nike).

https://www.amazon.ca/Shoe-Dog-Memoir-Creator-Nike/dp/1501135929/

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2023, 01:56:27 pm »

Same here. Should look that up. Which one?

I never seem to have time to sit down and read a book, but like to get a list together to listen to as audiobooks on long trips

So far a few biographies I've liked:

Steve Jobs: https://www.amazon.ca/Steve-Jobs-Walter-Isaacson/dp/1451648537

Dave Grohl: https://www.amazon.ca/Storyteller-Tales-Life-Music/dp/0063076098

Keith Richards: https://www.amazon.ca/Life-Keith-Richards/dp/031603441X

Henry Ford's was really interesting too, can't remember which one it was

Jobs and Ford were lessons in how flawed industry movers and shakers can be, and how much failure can go together with success

Grohl and Richards I found just super entertaining, made the miles fly by

I think it was this one from Calgary library.  It wasn't in details so a fairly quick read.  It's pretty astonishing the level of poverty in the USSR in that era, everyone meeting in Vienna,   Siberian prisons...etc 

thanks for the list,  I should get into audio books when I run.  Keith Richards's stories are probably "unique"  ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2023, 11:39:43 am »

Yeah, that's par for the course for us.  Probably dozens of books in out library that have book marks still inside, and a small stack of books in the queue. I think we like buying books as much as reading them.  ;D

Same here, I have three books I've started and I'm not even halfway through, for at least a year or two.  Plus a small stack I haven't cracked yet.
Just don't find the time to read anymore, too many screens.
Mr Pickypants

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2023, 12:02:20 pm »
You guys are too highbrow for me.  ;D

Most recent here is John Sandford's latest Prey novel Righteous Prey and Lee Child's new Jack Reacher book No Plan B. I also got Donna Leon's latest in her Commissario Brunetti series (book 31) for Christmas (titled  Give Unto Others) and Racing The Light by Robert Crais.....the latest in his Elvis Cole/Joe Pike LA detective series.

I am a voracious fiction reader and read everything from action adventure to police procedurals to classic British whodunit murder mystery to Si Fi/space opera to military historical fiction
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2023, 08:05:20 am »
You guys are too highbrow for me.  ;D

Most recent here is John Sandford's latest Prey novel Righteous Prey and Lee Child's new Jack Reacher book No Plan B. I also got Donna Leon's latest in her Commissario Brunetti series (book 31) for Christmas (titled  Give Unto Others) and Racing The Light by Robert Crais.....the latest in his Elvis Cole/Joe Pike LA detective series.

I am a voracious fiction reader and read everything from action adventure to police procedurals to classic British whodunit murder mystery to Si Fi/space opera to military historical fiction

Nah, I'm in the same boat as you.  Love police procedurals.  Not sure if I've read the latest Prey book, though.

By the time I sit down to read at night, the thought of a Stalin biography doesn't provide much relaxation.  My non-fiction reading doesn't get any more highbrow than Malcolm Gladwell or Jared Diamond.