Author Topic: Lesson Learned: Reddit Posts Show Why Spark Plug Changes Are Best Left to the Pros  (Read 3846 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
I dunno how big a deal this is, maybe it's just certain engines or something.

When we were shopping for an SUV a few years back we asked a mechanic friend about Mercedes and he just laughed and mentioned this. He showed me how he marked the ground strap location on every sparkplug with a sharpie and double checked it ended up in the right location.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
I dunno how big a deal this is, maybe it's just certain engines or something.

When we were shopping for an SUV a few years back we asked a mechanic friend about Mercedes and he just laughed and mentioned this. He showed me how he marked the ground strap location on every sparkplug with a sharpie and double checked it ended up in the right location.
I remember this a being a motorsport thing back in the day when I was racing bikes. Apparently it allows for peak combustion via superior flame propagation.

Supposed to eek out about 1 percent in highly tuned engines.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
My Evinrude outboard DI motor calls for Indexing.  I just might do it now after this thread.

How is it done? Let's say e.g. it's a 4 pot engine. If I get 8 plugs in total and then try them on each cylinder until a desired index is achieved, would this accomplish the task?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
More on spark plug indexing from an NGK guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34LSZF_wN3U
From what I have gathered, the plug opening should be within 90 degree window from the GDI injector, in modern engines that is. In other words, the ground electrode should not be in the way between the injector and a spark. It can be done by tawking torquing of OE plugs to MFG specs or in my opinion it would make sense to mark the top of the socket with where the spark plug opening is so that you would know exactly how the SP is being oriented during torquing, since there is always a MIN-MAX torque specified for every application.