Author Topic: Lesson Learned: Reddit Posts Show Why Spark Plug Changes Are Best Left to the Pros  (Read 3868 times)

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
I don't either. But, it's a safety thing...If you read the manufacture service manuals for just about any job, the first thing they tell you to do is disconnect the battery. Minimizes risk of injury, and damage to the car.
I hate disconnecting batteries because of all the re-learn stuff, so I avoid it if possible. I understand the risks though, especially in newer cars....remote starters, keyless ignitions, electronics that never fully shut down, etc.
All that being said....

I think the risk is quite low.

YMMV.

I've never done it either. My take on it is if the doors are locked and the key fob is away, there is no chance anything would try to fire up.

Yep, same.
If I am working on something that has multiple sets of electronic keys, I make sure I know where they all are....If Mrs.Firm is in the house and has a key somewhere, I'll take it from her and put it somewhere safe until I am done. I've been outside (not working on truck - fortunately) and suddenly the lights will start blinking as she's in the house, with a key in her pocket, and the lock buttons are getting hit by something. 

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
Access to the spark plugs is probably the largest deterrent rather than the actual spark plug replacement part of the job. For instance, transverse V engines sometimes require intake manifolds to be removed or engine mounts removed to gain access to the rear bank of cylinders.

edit: with all the Subaru owners here, how are boxer engines for spark plug replacements?

Agree with others that this article seems a bit "fear mongery".

« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 05:40:05 pm by draghon »
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Access to the spark plugs is probably the largest deterrent rather than the actual spark plug replacement part of the job. For instance, transverse V engines sometimes require intake manifolds to be removed or engine mounts removed to gain access to the rear bank of cylinders.

edit: with all the Subaru owners here, how are boxer engines for spark plug replacements?

It looks worse than it is in most Subarus.   I just pulled them out of a 2.5 in my Outback, requires removal of some intake plumbing, but that was easy enough, got to have the right combination of socket extensions too.
Having the battery out makes for a lot more room on the driver's side too.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
I did spark plugs on a wife's friend's Dodge Journey with the four cylinder. Super, super easy. That vehicle might not be well regarded but tons of room to work on anything engine related.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
I changed the plug on my snowthrower. Nobody died.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I changed the plug on my snowthrower. Nobody died.
That you know of....you probably caused a butterfly effect causing some dude in Australia to die from forced kangaroo unga bunga lol

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid

yeah when I did my van getting to the plugs was more work.  Took me near 3 hours but at the same time I cleaned the throttle body.  There was also that 1 plug I could barely get too, everything was is so compact.   Old style truck with ton of space in the hood and almost no other componenet beside the actual engine is much easier, as simple as changing an air filter.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
Changed the SW2 spark plugs few years ago, it can't be an easier job (with the right socket tool extension) !
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 12:54:30 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
^^^Yup . Similar setup except for COP in my Civic. Just replaced them before Christmas with what was in there from the factory. Came out easy even after 10.5 years or 170,000 kms. Iridium NGKs.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Changed the SW2 spark plugs few years ago, it can't be an easier job (with the right socket tool extension) !

Cool. Is that engine the same as 2.3L quad I had in a Grand Am?

Just out of curiosity looked up my Venzaurus plugs. They need a 14mm socket which is even smaller than the used to be the smallest 5/8". Apparently FGCs have used 14mm plugs for awhile now so it has spread.  :P
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
^^ Interesting.  I've always ignored instructions regarding "indexing".  I might re think that on DI motors.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
Those German engineers knew what they were doing

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Speaking of FGC....

https://www.mercedescla.org/threads/spark-plug-ground-electrode-orientation.42925/

Now this is the kind of info I'd like to see in autotrader articles. Thank you.

I wonder if this is applicable to all DI engines. I did notice Denso puts "Y" and other marks on the centre electrodes.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Speaking of FGC....

https://www.mercedescla.org/threads/spark-plug-ground-electrode-orientation.42925/

I wonder if this is applicable to all DI engines. I did notice Denso puts "Y" and other marks on the centre electrodes.

While I do my best to index plugs on my bikes I have not bothered with autos. That picture and explanation sounds like a scare tactic. Just by the wording: "...at the independents workshop's expense."
Suck it Mercedes Benz lol.  ;D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
I've only done spark plugs for one vehicle ever -- the Vino 125 scooter. I had to remove the spark plug to get to check valve clearances. Seems I did neither right, the valves kissed the piston and the spark plug boot eventually became worn out with no factory replacement available.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile

Just out of curiosity looked up my Venzaurus plugs. They need a 14mm socket which is even smaller than the used to be the smallest 5/8". Apparently FGCs have used 14mm plugs for awhile now so it has spread.  :P

A. No. 1.9L The only (real  :P) first generation Saturn Series -S- afaik, they did not share anything with the other division but a lot of things changed after ...

I bought that extension long time ago, thanks to https://www.saturnfans.com/forums/ to post (somewhere) a part number  ;D

Owner manual for DOHC (LLO) recommend NGK BKR5ESA-11 as pictured below.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 07:44:26 pm by me_2 »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

A. No. 1.9L The only (real  :P) first generation Saturn Series -S- afaik, they did not share anything with the other division but a lot of things changed after ...

I bought that extension long time ago, thanks to https://www.saturnfans.com/forums/ to post (somewhere) a part number  ;D

Owner manual for DOHC (LLO) recommend NGK BKR5ESA-11 as pictured below.

Nice. I've never heard of such engine.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Speaking of FGC....

While I do my best to index plugs on my bikes I have not bothered with autos. That picture and explanation sounds like a scare tactic. Just by the wording: "...at the independents workshop's expense."
Suck it Mercedes Benz lol.  ;D

That melt-down could have happened for any number of reasons. But wouldn't it be convenient to screw some indie down the road from them?  ;D :-X :-[
If the failure was indeed due to the plugs, I wonder if a wrong spark plug gap was the real culprit.
Just watched another two DI engines having plugs replaced by a former Toyota tech and not once does he mention anything about the plug angle. So perhaps it is an FGC thing.
He does however underlines the importance of using OEM plugs on Toyota's latest (forget the name) high tech engines.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 09:23:32 pm by EV Dan »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
My Evinrude outboard DI motor calls for Indexing.  I just might do it now after this thread.