Author Topic: 2023 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro Review  (Read 3321 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro Review
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2023, 05:58:27 pm »
We've got a 4Runner at work. 2015 or 2016, I think?

I've never been crazy about it. Weird seating position and the suspension feels like it has no travel - not exactly harsh, it just feels wooden and dead. But it's also running on truck tires (Duratracs, maybe even oversized a bit) so that wouldn't do the ride any favours.

No idea what's under the hood, but it doesn't feel very powerful. Steering is vague, too, so overall I find it a pretty crappy highway cruiser.

But it's probably been a smart choice for the company. Think it's got around 250,000 km, much of it pounding down crappy bush roads, and I don't believe they've had any issues with it.

RE: the suspension, the difference between the TRD Pro's suspension and the few other 4Runner models I've driven is remarkable. All the TRD Pro trucks have incredible ride quality, made even more remarkable by how well they work when really punished off-road, too. 

Last autumn at the annual Automobile Journalists Assoc. "test fest" event, Toyota had (probably the same) TRD Pro 4R available. There's an ATV / snowmobile trail that's made available to us for the trucks and off road vehicles that's frankly, not all that challenging, but there are some big splashes and if you start taking the 'whoops' at greater speed, the diifferences between a mediocre suspension set up (or, in fairness, one meant for towing), versus and off-road set up like the TRD Pro, are considerable. The 4R can be hustled along at speeds that would bounce most of the other machines into the woods.

As others have said, having the V8 underhood is the answer.  I'm currently actively looking for an early '00s 4R with the V8 that doesn't have a rotted out frame and isn't wildly overpriced (yeah, good luck, eh?). I love the idea of having an absolute sh !t-kicker truck that I can tow with and/or chase the g/f off-road in her Wrangler, and trust that it should last forever as long as it doesn't rot.

Probably have an easier time (and wiser purchase) finding a Lexus GX.  Same platform.

How's this 4R?  https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/hamilton/2005-toyota-4-runner-v8-limited/m5660418
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 06:14:24 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Re: 2023 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro Review
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2023, 11:43:35 am »
We've got a 4Runner at work. 2015 or 2016, I think?

I've never been crazy about it. Weird seating position and the suspension feels like it has no travel - not exactly harsh, it just feels wooden and dead. But it's also running on truck tires (Duratracs, maybe even oversized a bit) so that wouldn't do the ride any favours.

No idea what's under the hood, but it doesn't feel very powerful. Steering is vague, too, so overall I find it a pretty crappy highway cruiser.

But it's probably been a smart choice for the company. Think it's got around 250,000 km, much of it pounding down crappy bush roads, and I don't believe they've had any issues with it.

RE: the suspension, the difference between the TRD Pro's suspension and the few other 4Runner models I've driven is remarkable. All the TRD Pro trucks have incredible ride quality, made even more remarkable by how well they work when really punished off-road, too. 

Last autumn at the annual Automobile Journalists Assoc. "test fest" event, Toyota had (probably the same) TRD Pro 4R available. There's an ATV / snowmobile trail that's made available to us for the trucks and off road vehicles that's frankly, not all that challenging, but there are some big splashes and if you start taking the 'whoops' at greater speed, the diifferences between a mediocre suspension set up (or, in fairness, one meant for towing), versus and off-road set up like the TRD Pro, are considerable. The 4R can be hustled along at speeds that would bounce most of the other machines into the woods.

As others have said, having the V8 underhood is the answer.  I'm currently actively looking for an early '00s 4R with the V8 that doesn't have a rotted out frame and isn't wildly overpriced (yeah, good luck, eh?). I love the idea of having an absolute sh !t-kicker truck that I can tow with and/or chase the g/f off-road in her Wrangler, and trust that it should last forever as long as it doesn't rot.

Probably have an easier time (and wiser purchase) finding a Lexus GX.  Same platform.

How's this 4R?  https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/hamilton/2005-toyota-4-runner-v8-limited/m5660418

Oh, I'd certainly prefer a GX, but they're even harder to find for a reasonable budget and/or without 500,000 kms.

There are some decent V8 4Rs out there.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla