Author Topic: 2023 Honda Pilot First Drive Review  (Read 1705 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
2023 Honda Pilot First Drive Review
« on: January 25, 2023, 06:31:40 pm »
Fully redesigned with a tough exterior, the new Pilot sits among the best in its class.
Read more...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: 2023 Honda Pilot First Drive Review
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 08:10:29 am »
Sharp looking ride.  Not something I would have said about the previous gen.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 08:17:56 am »

Agreed.  I think Honda nailed it with this and the new CRV.  They made them nice and square to maximize interior space and still managed to keep them stylish.  Proper SUV proportions imo.  Also liked that they stuck with the V6 in the Pilot. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12405
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 08:38:33 am »

Agreed.  I think Honda nailed it with this and the new CRV.  They made them nice and square to maximize interior space and still managed to keep them stylish. Proper SUV proportions imo.  Also liked that they stuck with the V6 in the Pilot.

Hell yes.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 09:50:45 am »

Agreed.  I think Honda nailed it with this and the new CRV.  They made them nice and square to maximize interior space and still managed to keep them stylish.  Proper SUV proportions imo.  Also liked that they stuck with the V6 in the Pilot.

Now they just have to get rid of the afm (active fuel management ie. cylinder deactivation) and the stop start.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 10:00:30 am »

Now they just have to get rid of the afm (active fuel management ie. cylinder deactivation) and the stop start.

Isn't that kind of emissions control stuff mandated now?  All manufacturers seem to going that route.  Needs to be a software fix for that stuff if that's the case. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 10:15:38 am »

I thought the afm in Honda's are not problematic like the GM's?  Regarding stop start, just wish there was a way to turn it off permanently but I guess it needs to turn on after each start up to qualify to be used for the EPA fuel economy ratings.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 11:05:58 am »

My wife's first question when I mentioned the new Pilot was about the V6.  Let's be real, I'm 99% getting one of these within the next 2-3 years (I'll wait and see if interest rates fall, or give myself time to save up the cash if rates are high).

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 11:12:01 am »

I thought the afm in Honda's are not problematic like the GM's?  Regarding stop start, just wish there was a way to turn it off permanently but I guess it needs to turn on after each start up to qualify to be used for the EPA fuel economy ratings.

Oh Honda struggled with it but better than most. As the odo clicks over 200k kms I would rather have a V6 without it as there is less to go sideways.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 08:14:34 am »

They kept it, and dropped V-Tec : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42662418/honda-35-v-6-engine-dohc/

This completely new V6 has the same output specs as the old one, but runs much cleaner. The old one was going to be toast with emission regs.

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 08:22:46 am »
^^^Sounds like this new V6 won't have nearly the character the old one did.  Might as well be a Pentastar - another boring, yet dependable DOHC V6.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 08:24:27 am »
The launch event was held in Sedona, and Honda had journalists (I don't get flyaways yet  :banghead:) ride the Broken Arrow Trail in Pilots, much to the amazement of the people who paid for the Pink Jeep tours. I rode that trail in 2012 as a passenger in The Mentor's lightly lifted and minty Gen-1 JGC Laredo V8. The hill on the way down was a stone staircase from Hell. No way in that place that a Pilot would have made it down intact back then, but due to increased off-road traffic, the stone stairs broke away and now the thing is just a rocky wash, easier to tackle in a regular SUV.

Pic below taken elsewhere, bet the Pilots scraped more than a bit!

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 08:26:49 am »
^^^Sounds like this new V6 won't have nearly the character the old one did.  Might as well be a Pentastar - another boring, yet dependable DOHC V6.

The last time I floored the Pilot or droved with enough spirit to wake up the engine was....I have no idea.  Maybe using a short merge lane getting onto the highway at some point on a road trip last summer?  Nobody that shleps their family in one of these will notice whether it has VTEC or not.  At least it is 6 cylinders, and hopefully it's reliable.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2023, 08:29:26 am »

The last time I floored the Pilot or droved with enough spirit to wake up the engine was....I have no idea.  Maybe using a short merge lane getting onto the highway at some point on a road trip last summer?  Nobody that shleps their family in one of these will notice whether it has VTEC or not.  At least it is 6 cylinders, and hopefully it's reliable.

I like that V-Tec kick in the Odyssey! The old girl has some giddyup on onramps and uphill passing lanes! My Gen-1 was definitely faster though.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2023, 08:30:56 am »

But you could if you wanted to. 

I totally get that 'character' is basically a useless feature in a vehicle that will be hauling families around, but I'll still lament the demise of the last mainstream V6 that had any character whatsoever.  The world is full of characterless, boring V6's and turbo-4's, and now every midsize Honda will join that inclusive club.

Offline PoweredSilenceGT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-75
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2023, 08:35:46 am »

They kept it, and dropped V-Tec : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42662418/honda-35-v-6-engine-dohc/

This completely new V6 has the same output specs as the old one, but runs much cleaner. The old one was going to be toast with emission regs.

So they kept the worst part and got rid of the best part  :rofl2:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 08:50:02 am »

So they kept the worst part and got rid of the best part  :rofl2:

Emissions rule the day.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2023, 11:07:55 am »

I ring out the V6 in the old Ridgeline regularly. If I am going to live with no bottom end torque then I will make it sing on the top end.  ;D  That new V6 needs a couple more cylinders and a quarter turn. Then that Pilot would be close to perfect once they added the 2 speed transfer case and locking rear.