Author Topic: Because we need another Crosstrek thread!  (Read 13801 times)

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
Re: Because we need another Crosstrek thread!
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2023, 04:31:46 pm »
Dammit, getting sucked into the crosstrek YouTube reviews!

If you want one let me know. I have to let the dealer know on Monday I am passing on the 2023 outdoor floor model. I'll flip it to you for $1000 over MSRP.  ;D

How much $$?

Out the door with tax: $35890.81 inludes mats and block heater.

Thanks, that's not bad. The more you guys have been posting on the crosteck the more I've been looking at and the more I like it. Good size, not too big, ground clearance, hatch. Would make for a nice 335 replacement / kid mobile / family runabout.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2023, 04:38:37 pm »
Dammit, getting sucked into the crosstrek YouTube reviews!

Like this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL7tFtfFVEw
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2023, 06:00:25 pm »
The more you guys have been posting on the crosteck the more I've been looking at and the more I like it. Good size, not too big, ground clearance, hatch. Would make for a nice 335 replacement / kid mobile / family runabout.

That's what happened to me. Following Blueprints threads brought it to my mind, and it fit as a replacement for my Vibe. Took a test drive, actually found one in stock, and that was that

Does a good job of blending the capabilities of an SUV with the drive of a car, and for a reasonable price

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2023, 06:52:39 pm »
We’ve got the auto show coming up in Toronto, so it will be nice to check it out with my sons and compare.

I’ll also have to read through the various crosstek threads here :)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2023, 07:08:16 pm »
For a smallish AWD vehicle it can handle 4 adults as a city runabout and do that very well. Perhaps the best? It does have much more NVH that the next level of car up the ladder (ok in my compare a 2016 XC60). But that being said it does suck up irregularities well. It is buzzy if thrashing around but puttering around generally good.  It would not be a good choice (CVT equipped ) for a long distance highway cruiser as it has limited oomph. Especially out here with a box, passengers, altitude and a headwind.

If they could drop a turbo 2.5T into it, drop the CVT for a 9 speed auto or manual and add acoustic glass and more sound deadening it would be hard to beat. Needs about 250HP and a fat flat  torque curve.  ;D Keep the price under $40k.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2023, 07:24:23 pm »
We’ve got the auto show coming up in Toronto, so it will be nice to check it out with my sons and compare.

I’ll also have to read through the various crosstek threads here :)

Where is it, downtown again?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2023, 10:48:55 am »
Had another dealer phone me and offer me a new 2023 Limited at MSRP. The waiting list has mostly evaporated.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2023, 11:31:36 am »
Another BC dealer has phoned asking if I am interested in a 2023 Crosstrek Outdoor as the buyer has backed out.. MSRP this time.  The bubble is done.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2023, 11:32:46 am »
Another BC dealer has phoned asking if I am interested in a 2023 Crosstrek Outdoor as the buyer has backed out.. MSRP this time.  The bubble is done.

Geez, you're now swimming in Crosstreks. 

Regretting the timing of the Volvo purchase, or still really happy with it?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2023, 11:50:03 am »

For what I paid ($17300) and the lower cash commitment  I am happy although I rarely drive it.  ;D  Although on an older platform the Volvo is in a different class.   The power (that inline 6 turbo is a gem), transmission (6 speed auto over CVT), high end stereo, memory seats, electric windshield, heated rear seats...   Once it starts breaking get back to me. Don't get me wrong the Crosstrek was smooth and composed but the Volvo feels much more solid. Once I paid for extra wheels and tires on the Crosstrek the difference would have been around $23k. I have deployed that into some investments instead so if it works out it will pay for a new car down the road.

Features like headlight washers (I really miss these on the Ridgeline)  and the excellent seats will make me keep it on the road. The fact that I didn't have to shovel one penny to the government to purchase  also makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I kept almost $2k out of their greedy little hands.  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2023, 12:16:39 pm »

For what I paid ($17300) and the lower cash commitment  I am happy although I rarely drive it.  ;D  Although on an older platform the Volvo is in a different class.   The power (that inline 6 turbo is a gem), transmission (6 speed auto over CVT), high end stereo, memory seats, electric windshield, heated rear seats...   Once it starts breaking get back to me. Don't get me wrong the Crosstrek was smooth and composed but the Volvo feels much more solid. Once I paid for extra wheels and tires on the Crosstrek the difference would have been around $23k. I have deployed that into some investments instead so if it works out it will pay for a new car down the road.

Features like headlight washers (I really miss these on the Ridgeline)  and the excellent seats will make me keep it on the road. The fact that I didn't have to shovel one penny to the government to purchase  also makes me feel warm and fuzzy. I kept almost $2k out of their greedy little hands.  ;D

Yeah, you got a better vehicle, for less $, and the earnings from the extra $ you invested should offset and maintenance repair cost overages vs. a new Crosstek....Good deal all the way around.

Is there no sales tax on private used car sales in AB? 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2023, 12:38:25 pm »
No sales tax on private sales in AB. This fact along with the my preference to "buy the owner"  is why I prefer private sales. The Volvo was essentially a one owner (retired school teacher)  car that saw lots of easy highway miles.  Private sales are a PITA sometimes and they require a little more groundwork. The biggest obstacle I find is that many owners have outstanding loans that are upside down against the vehicle.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2023, 12:51:29 pm »
No sales tax on private sales in AB. This fact along with the my preference to "buy the owner"  is why I prefer private sales. The Volvo was essentially a one owner (retired school teacher)  car that saw lots of easy highway miles.  Private sales are a PITA sometimes and they require a little more groundwork. The biggest obstacle I find is that many owners have outstanding loans that are upside down against the vehicle.

I prefer privates sales as well, but we still get dinged for HST (at 13%) on private used car sales here....Absolute highway robbery. I've had cars that have changed hands 20+ times in Ontario, and each time the Government has collected their 13%.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2023, 12:53:06 pm »

I prefer privates sales as well, but we still get dinged for HST (at 13%) on private used car sales here....Absolute highway robbery. I've had cars that have changed hands 20+ times in Ontario, and each time the Government has collected their 13%.

HST includes GST correct?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2023, 01:01:18 pm »

Yep...It used to be PST and GST, at some point HST merged the two and things that used to incur only one or the other, suddenly got the whole 13%. Someone here probably has more context/details on it.....whenever it happened I was too young to have much skin in the game.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2023, 01:24:02 pm »
13% is criminal...On goods that have already had tax paid on them. Wow.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2023, 01:34:20 pm »

Yep...It used to be PST and GST, at some point HST merged the two and things that used to incur only one or the other, suddenly got the whole 13%. Someone here probably has more context/details on it.....whenever it happened I was too young to have much skin in the game.
If I remember it correctly, once upon a time on private sales there was no taxes at all, then when GST was introduced you had to pay the GST on private sales. Then when they harmonized the 2 taxes you had to pay the HST on private sales. And I can't remember exactly when they introduced the Used Vehicle Information Package which gives you the value on the used car that you have to pay the taxes on no matter what you paid. At the end of the day it's :censor: ridiculous on how much taxes are collected on a vehicle that changes hands several times over the years.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2023, 01:40:29 pm »

If I remember it correctly, once upon a time on private sales there was no taxes at all, then when GST was introduced you had to pay the GST on private sales. Then when they harmonized the 2 taxes you had to pay the HST on private sales. And I can't remember exactly when they introduced the Used Vehicle Information Package which gives you the value on the used car that you have to pay the taxes on no matter what you paid. At the end of the day it's :censor: ridiculous on how much taxes are collected on a vehicle that changes hands several times over the years.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Yeah. If you disagree with the value on the UVIP, or there is none shown (UVIP doesn't have values for vehicles older than 20 years old) you can get an appraisal and they'll tax you on that value instead. Worthwhile if you buy a project car for way less than the value on the UVIP....though getting the appraisal is an additional cost (also taxable) and hassle.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2023, 03:29:01 pm »
13% is criminal...On goods that have already had tax paid on them. Wow.

And HST is 15% in Atlantic Canada.  FFS  >:(

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2023, 03:55:56 pm »
PST in Manitoba is currently at 7% (after the NDP broke a promise NOT to increase it from 6% to 8% years ago).  The conservatives campaigned on lowering it back to 6%.  So far they've dropped it by 1% to 7%, and then in 2020 announced that due to the pandemic, they would delay the extra percent drop to 6% by 1 year until 2021. 

Well, 2021 has come and gone, and we're still at 7%.  So, chalk that up to another busted promise by the conservatives?