Author Topic: Because we need another Crosstrek thread!  (Read 13831 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Because we need another Crosstrek thread!
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2023, 02:44:09 pm »
Open diffs front and rear, with the viscous center coupling sending torque 50/50. I guess the viscous coupling acts like a central LSD, and the computer applies the brakes to mimic LSD on the front and rear.

It’s possible to retrofit a mechanical rear LSD if you want. Someone makes a kit for around a grand, IIRC.

Took it up the Spray Lakes road the other night to check it out! Some packed snow and ice, for sure, but also loads of gravel showing through, so didn’t seem very slippery. Or maybe the tires are just that awesome!  :D

Anyway, I thought it handled really well. It just hunkers down and powers through the corners with no drama. Normally my wife is grabbing for the Oh :censor:! handle and yelling at me to slow down, but even from the passenger seat she could feel how stable and planted the car was, so she was relaxed.

We switched seats and she took it for a spin too. She looked and felt totally comfortable pushing it a bit around the corners too. If the wife is happy driving the car on a snowy road, at night, at ten over the limit, that’s a good sign!

Oh, and the LED headlights and fogs are phenomenal. Driving through the forest at night felt like a rally car with a full-on light bar! Brighter than the Xenons in the GTI, and those were pretty darned good.

It’s just really pleasant to drive in general. Had it on the twisty pavement out to Peter Lougheed Prov. Park yesterday. No snow, but it felt really good on the bare pavement as well. 50 km/h limit, and it just grips and pulls through the corners nicely at 60-75 or so.

Didn’t want to go any faster, because cops and wildlife and pedestrians and it’s a Provincial Park and I’m not a total sociopath. It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Truth.  :)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2023, 02:47:54 pm »
Open diffs front and rear, with the viscous center coupling sending torque 50/50. I guess the viscous coupling acts like a central LSD, and the computer applies the brakes to mimic LSD on the front and rear.

It’s possible to retrofit a mechanical rear LSD if you want. Someone makes a kit for around a grand, IIRC.

Took it up the Spray Lakes road the other night to check it out! Some packed snow and ice, for sure, but also loads of gravel showing through, so didn’t seem very slippery. Or maybe the tires are just that awesome!  :D

Anyway, I thought it handled really well. It just hunkers down and powers through the corners with no drama. Normally my wife is grabbing for the Oh :censor:! handle and yelling at me to slow down, but even from the passenger seat she could feel how stable and planted the car was, so she was relaxed.

We switched seats and she took it for a spin too. She looked and felt totally comfortable pushing it a bit around the corners too. If the wife is happy driving the car on a snowy road, at night, at ten over the limit, that’s a good sign!

Oh, and the LED headlights and fogs are phenomenal. Driving through the forest at night felt like a rally car with a full-on light bar! Brighter than the Xenons in the GTI, and those were pretty darned good.

It’s just really pleasant to drive in general. Had it on the twisty pavement out to Peter Lougheed Prov. Park yesterday. No snow, but it felt really good on the bare pavement as well. 50 km/h limit, and it just grips and pulls through the corners nicely at 60-75 or so.

Didn’t want to go any faster, because cops and wildlife and pedestrians and it’s a Provincial Park and I’m not a total sociopath. It’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. Truth.  :)

Wait you have LEDS? The outdoor didn't have them. Did you go for the fancy model?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2023, 02:51:28 pm »
^^ Sport is actually one trim level above Outdoor, just below limited.

It’s a bit confusing, because the manual Sport is cheaper than the Outdoor (because manual and no EyeSight.)

So, yeah, I’ve got LEDs and a moonroof and maybe some other stuff the Outdoor doesn’t have. Of course, the Outdoor gets the 2.5, not the 2.0.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2023, 03:03:33 pm »

I'm finding the same thing. Usually my wife is super cautious, and yelling at me for going around on ramps/off ramps too fast. Now I'm the one pumping the imaginary brake pedal as she powers through at speed. The Hakka 10/Crosstrek is a very stable combination, but am sure black ice on a corner can still cause problems

She actually confessed she 'stole' it last night to go shopping, because 'it's just so nice to drive'. Has a perfectly good Lexus just sitting there

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2023, 03:09:57 pm »
^^ Yes, good point on the black ice and thanks for the reminder.

I remember when I got winter tires for the Xterra years ago. Was driving around town in 4WD like a madman, cursing at all the slow pokes with their all-seasons, then hit the brakes at one really icy intersection and slid right through.  :-[

Wiser now, but yeah, best not to get too cocky.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2023, 11:47:31 pm »
Since there's a few southern Alberta folks here, thought I should also mention the dealership experience. Bought the car at Centaur Subaru and I was seriously impressed. Everyone was great, super helpful, and there was absolutely zero pressure or shady salesmanship. I suppose it doesn't hurt that the cars fly off the lot all by themselves.

Paid MSRP plus a $400 doc fee, which is a ridiculous thing to be happy about, but I think is pretty good for 2022/23. No mandatory packages or any other shady upsells. They even included the block heater and locking lug nuts for MSRP, and those are shown as $480 optional accessories on subaru.ca.

Even the finance guys were great. Zero pressure and zero pushback when I politely declined most of the extra stuff (I did get PPF though. Paid $625 for partial hood and fenders, plus fog lights, mirrors and all four door cups. I know it's cheaper elsewhere - just wanted the convenience of having it done for delivery.)

And just filled out my paperwork for the $750 CSIA rebate. Happy about that, too. :)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2023, 06:14:44 pm »
Okay, going to spam the place with pics. :)

Car is dirty, but that’s okay. It’s supposed to get used for all kinds of daily driver stuff, and is therefore supposed to get dirty. Side benefit of white is that it still doesn’t look too bad when it’s a mess.

Ski box barely fits. I had to put it as far forward as possible to clear the open hatch, but it still just touches. Needed the longest possible box to fit my x-country skis, so no choice. I do like the look of the low-profile ski box though.

Love the interior. Wheel feels almost as good as in the GTI and it’s got the thumb cutouts at 9 and 3. Also love that top screen on the dash: easy to see without taking your eyes too far off the road. And there’s an oil temp readout!

Main screen is big, but not too big, and of course proper dials and buttons for the important stuff.

Got the Husky floor liners, so all set for winter. Yes they’re dirty already.

Best accessory ever: console tray organizer! Have ordered one of these for the Yukon as well.

Back seat has a fair bit of room.

Got the dog bed and barrier in the back. Dog pic to follow. Also got the rear bumper step pad to protect the paint from dog claws.

Okay, I did stop at the car wash on the way home to clean her up.

And… the money shot!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2023, 06:29:04 pm »
What's with the weird shifter?  ;) Can you see the leading edge of the box through the windshield? That's the worst watching it dance but like you said no choice. How far do the skis come up if they are inside.? I try to avoid boxes at all costs.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2023, 07:29:39 pm »
Can’t see it from my driving position, but I can if I lean way forward. Yeah, I’m sure it’s dancing around pretty good on the highway, but ignorance is bliss.  ;D

Interior length of the box is listed as 210 cm, and my classic skis are 207 cm. They fit, but just. Couldn’t go any smaller, for sure.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2023, 07:44:35 pm »
Wow, another Crosstrek.  ;D  Crazy how many in my dwindling group of friends have a Crosstrek.  Not many are white though and I don't believe any are manuals.  Looks really good in white with the black trim. Interior looks like it will wear well also.  Congrats!  :thumbup: 

I might end up with a Crosstrek, or similar for our next vehicle. Unfortunately my wife won't go for a manual as a daily driver but at least the cvt seems pretty good in these.  I thought they might be a little on the small side but the few times I've been in one they seem to be similar in size to the original Outback.   

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2023, 08:14:23 pm »
Wow, another Crosstrek.  ;D  Crazy how many in my dwindling group of friends have a Crosstrek.  Not many are white though and I don't believe any are manuals.  Looks really good in white with the black trim. Interior looks like it will wear well also.  Congrats!  :thumbup: 

I might end up with a Crosstrek, or similar for our next vehicle. Unfortunately my wife won't go for a manual as a daily driver but at least the cvt seems pretty good in these.  I thought they might be a little on the small side but the few times I've been in one they seem to be similar in size to the original Outback.

They have good room for four passengers. Creature comforts in the back are minimal though (no air vents for cool/heat). They give up space in the back hatch but it is enough. I think the ridiculous price creep on new vehicles is what made Crosstreks popular. Although cheap ones used to be $25k and that is going to be closer to $35k with the 2024.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2023, 09:17:20 pm »
^^ Yeah, I think it’s a lot of car for the money. Mine was barely $36k, out the door, all taxes and everything. And that’s with the PPF and optional auto-dimming mirrors I splurged on ($900-ish, but worth it.)

Exact same car would have been $1,750 less for a 2022. Missed that by a month or two. Who knows how much more a 2024 will be.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2023, 08:42:47 am »
Congrats !!! They are rare in white, and yes Subaru's white is a pearly, metallic job that looks pretty darn good in person and offers a fantastic contrast with black - kinda reminds me of the Legacy Limited GT I did not get  :banghead:

Nice accessories! Where did you get the console organizer?

These mudflaps would have looked good on mine in retrospec. PJ and I have the same winter alloys, with a bit extra offset so the wheels stick out a bit more. With the Blizzaks on mine, I'm almost tempted to add a buggy flag to the car.

Licence plate holes bug me too, but they're factory indeed. Will look into the 'tube videos to remedy that!

I've never owned a car with such a WAF before, and I see it's universal too! Wifey has developped a thing for dark blue paints, and if she could just drop her PHEV requirements we have a dark blue Outback Onyx in fleet I could grab in the spring...
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2023, 08:52:22 am »
The car looks great :thumbup:

All of these Crosstreks are making me really want one.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2023, 08:55:45 am »

You get spoiled quick. Just spent a week with a Soul GT-Line, and thanks to fwd + 235 series snow tires I got stuck at the bottom of my driveway. A few cradle motions and I was mobile again. The Kia box held  ;D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2023, 09:02:32 am »
Congrats !!! They are rare in white, and yes Subaru's white is a pearly, metallic job that looks pretty darn good in person and offers a fantastic contrast with black - kinda reminds me of the Legacy Limited GT I did not get  :banghead:

Nice accessories! Where did you get the console organizer?

These mudflaps would have looked good on mine in retrospec. PJ and I have the same winter alloys, with a bit extra offset so the wheels stick out a bit more. With the Blizzaks on mine, I'm almost tempted to add a buggy flag to the car.

Licence plate holes bug me too, but they're factory indeed. Will look into the 'tube videos to remedy that!

I've never owned a car with such a WAF before, and I see it's universal too! Wifey has developped a thing for dark blue paints, and if she could just drop her PHEV requirements we have a dark blue Outback Onyx in fleet I could grab in the spring...

:cheers:

$30 on Amazon for the console organizer. Really impressed with it. Fits perfectly.

https://www.amazon.ca/Console-Armrest-Organizer-Accessories-Crosstrek/dp/B07GJX5XX3?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2023, 10:15:29 am »

Yeah, totally. The car has a pretty wide wheelbase as it is, it's very buggy like with those wheels. Really like them though

Rokblokz came in yesterday from Utah (amazing what a pile of shipping money will do  :D) will try and see if I can pry the fender liners back and get them installed tonight while the weather is still warm here

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2023, 10:42:34 am »
^^ Good luck with the install! Hairdryer might help to soften the liner up a bit? It wasn’t too bad for me in the heated garage, but a little awkward to get the liner pulled out and then stuck back in.

I was swapping wheels at the same time, so installed the flaps with wheels off. Fronts you can probably do just by turning the wheels, but to get at the third screw on the rears, think the wheels will need to come off.

FYI, the third screw on the rears just goes into the car’s plastic undertray/liner. Instructions say it’s thick enough to hold the screw, and it was - but only on one side!

Other side stripped out the plastic, but luckily I had a stainless bolt and nut handy, so did that instead. A little bit awkward to get the nut on the bolt, but there’s an opening on the inside of the liner where you can reach through. Taped the nut and a stainless washer onto the end of the wrench and stuck it through. There’s room to reach in with a finger to help guide it.

If you want to be prepared, might want to pick up a couple of stainless bolts/nuts/washers just in case. 1” long #10 should do it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 10:44:24 am by HeliDriver »

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2023, 10:44:47 am »

Yeah me too. Been on the website building my own Crosstrek and forester.

Online JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2023, 11:20:46 am »
Colour matched bumper plugs. For all the recent Crosstrek buyers.

https://subiebros.com/subiebros-subaru-bumper-hole-plugs/