Author Topic: Because we need another Crosstrek thread!  (Read 13836 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Because we need another Crosstrek thread!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 07:13:29 pm »
Looks good. How did it do out west going home? Will it pull the grades (Scott Lake hill) or does it need a downshift?

Won’t pull it at all, but I wasn’t expecting it to. Even my Civic SiR needed a downshift to 4th on that hill. GTI of course had zero issues in 6th.

Looks great, I like the white. For some reason that doesn't seem to be a popular color choice on the Crosstrek around here.

Funny, but it’s really growing on me. White cars have always been invisible to me - fine for a rental Camry in Florida or Arizona, but I had never even considered the thought of owning one. We only chose white because it seemed like the least-worst of the options (silver and yellow not available on our trim  :) ), but now we’re both really liking it. It’s got a nice, creamy pearlescent look to it.

Going for the full panda look on this one too. All black accessories, right down to the cross bars on the roof. Not sure yet if I’ll replace the chrome lugnuts with black ones.  ;D

Looks great. Congrats and happy motoring!

What'd you drill the licence plate holes for?  :P

Yeah, my wife is pissed about the holes, too. Me, I don’t care so much. I checked though, and there’s paint inside the holes, so it must have come from the factory that way. Maybe I’ll fill them with white silicone or something.

Finally! This is a 2L manual sport yes? At least all the Crosstreks here are different specs!

Yes 2L manual sport! No rocket ship, that’s for sure, but it’s totally acceptable so far. Haven’t even gone past 4,000 rpm yet (because break-in), but zero issues merging onto the highway or anything else. Just need to plan ahead and pay attention - in other words, actually drive:)

And the car’s torque peak is at 4,000 rpm, with max HP at 6,000, so it’s made to rev. Looking forward to being able to use all 6,000 rpm.

Just snapped a couple pics in the shade today. Will get some better ones soon, I’m sure.

And thanks to all for the kind words! :cheers:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 07:15:33 pm by HeliDriver »

Online JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
Re: Because we need another Crosstrek thread!
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2023, 07:23:28 pm »
Congrats!

I think most, if not all Subarus come with those holes in the front bumper. My STI did as well. You can buy colour matched plugs but we need plates here in Ont unfortunately.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2023, 07:47:49 pm »
Yeah, my wife is pissed about the holes, too. Me, I don’t care so much. I checked though, and there’s paint inside the holes, so it must have come from the factory that way. Maybe I’ll fill them with white silicone or something.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=remove+licence+plate+holes

There must be something useful on the 'tube  :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 07:52:28 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2023, 07:48:15 pm »
White suits this vehicle with the black cladding.   :cheers:

You installed some mud guards.  Must have.  What brand?  Weather Tech by chance?  I need some for the Tremor but have been waffling between Ford or Weather Tech.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2023, 07:59:28 pm »
Looks great!!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2023, 08:17:22 pm »

You installed some mud guards.  Must have.  What brand?  Weather Tech by chance?  I need some for the Tremor but have been waffling between Ford or Weather Tech.

Yeah, really liking the white. We went into it thinking we’d get one of the dark colours, but didn’t like how the black cladding sort of gets lost. If you’re going to crank the plastic cladding to eleven, you may as well not try to hide it.

Pretty sure I put WeatherTech mud flaps on the Yukon and they’ve been good. Went with the rally-style flaps on the Crosstrek for maximum coverage though. Brand is RokBlokz, but Rally Armour is a big name too. Started out as a rally car thing, but think they make them for trucks now as well.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2023, 08:28:36 pm »
Congrats!  Looks great.  My brother and SIL have the same powertrain in theirs.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2023, 08:59:23 pm »

Yeah, really liking the white. We went into it thinking we’d get one of the dark colours, but didn’t like how the black cladding sort of gets lost. If you’re going to crank the plastic cladding to eleven, you may as well not try to hide it.

Pretty sure I put WeatherTech mud flaps on the Yukon and they’ve been good. Went with the rally-style flaps on the Crosstrek for maximum coverage though. Brand is RokBlokz, but Rally Armour is a big name too. Started out as a rally car thing, but think they make them for trucks now as well.

All vehicles driven in winter should have those. Mandatory. They look good.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2023, 12:47:28 pm »

Those do look good, and the wheels stick out pretty far on this thing and throw spray onto the bodywork at the back. Regret not adding mudflaps in the fall

Ordering those RokBlokz from the States is way up there though, especially with shipping and duty, ouch. Rally Amor is even more. You think regular types from CT could be fitted?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2023, 01:02:23 pm »
^^ Just checked, and the RokBlokz cost me $252 incl. all duties, taxes & shipping. Yeah, that’s obscene for what’s really just four pieces of plastic and some stainless screws, but I figured what the heck. It’s peanuts compared to the overall price of the car.

I’m sure you could replicate them for 1/3 of the cost at CT, but I didn’t feel like the headaches. I’d probably drill holes in the wrong places and up buying 3 sets anyway before I got them to fit.  :P

Install instructions here, if you want to see what’s involved. It’s really simple.

https://cdn.flowcode.com/prodassets/C052_18_Crosstrek_Install_Instructions.pdf?ts=1668354463813607357
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 01:05:04 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2023, 01:46:56 pm »
Thanks, just sucked it up and ordered them. Like you say, not much compared to the price of the car. Plus hate to bodge something together for a new vehicle

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2023, 02:03:15 pm »
Buy once, cry once.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2023, 07:40:31 pm »
Thanks, just sucked it up and ordered them. Like you say, not much compared to the price of the car. Plus hate to bodge something together for a new vehicle
:thumbup:

Yeah, I think it’s worth it. Car seems to be staying pretty clean with them on there.

A crappy pic from in the shade again today. The coverage is really good, but they don’t look too ridiculous (IMO, anyway.)

I mounted mine as far as possible inboard, but there’s about 1/2” of adjustment if you wanted them to stick out a little further.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 07:45:20 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2023, 07:53:12 pm »
The other day I noticed a last gen WRX pass me and I swear it must have had the Crosstrek ride height.  I wonder if that person changes ride heights based on season.

I have to be honest I have never felt the need for mud flaps.  Some people swear by them and maybe if we drive on dirt or chip sealed roads regularly (or lived in a province that puts larger aggregate on the road in the winter) I might see the value.  They do look decent and I like they are just simple black and not all logo’d up and different colored.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2023, 08:35:37 pm »
^^ Yeah, WRX could have been on adjustable coilovers. I've heard of people raising and lowering cars for the seasons, but seems like a silly amount of work to me.

There's also the whole overland thing. Seems more popular in the States, but I've seen examples up here too. Saw a WRX last summer that must have been lifted a couple inches and was running beefy A/T tires. I've seen a couple of Crosstreks like that up here too. Still silly, IMO, but not quite as silly as doing that to a WRX. Heck, I've even seen lifted Miatas running A/T tires here.  :P

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2023, 12:16:51 pm »
So, we’ve put a few hundred km on this so far and I’m happy to say I’m completely thrilled with it. It’s everything I’d hoped it would be! And of course my wife is over the moon as well. As others have said, WAF on these things is off the charts.

I had a short test drive in a CVT before we ordered, but had never actually driven the manual. Maybe I’m not too fussy, but I think the gearbox in this is great. Shifts don’t have the crisp, clean and quick feel that my GTI with the Dieselgeek short shifter had, but it’s really nice nonetheless.

I’ve heard the shifter being described as rubbery or mushy, and yeah, I can see that. But after a few days of getting used to it, I’m inclined to just call it smooth and well-damped. It fits in just fine with the rest of the car IMO.

Even my wife agrees. She said she never liked the way the GTI shifted - said it felt “harsh” - but the shifter in the Crosstrek is just smooth and easy. I agree (well, about the Crosstrek. GTI shifter was pure sex with the Dieselgeek!)

Besides, the Crosstrek gearbox is the same as in the WRX, so there’s lots of aftermarket stuff available if I eventually feel it could use some tweaking. Really don’t think I’ll bother though.

The clutch was a bit of an adjustment though - engages right at the top of the travel, not close to the floor like in the GTI. Took me a day or two to get the hang of it, but, somewhat embarrassingly, my wife figured it out pretty much right away!  :P

And now, the elephant in the room - rev hang! Again, something I’d been reading about for months and was kind of nervous about. That’s probably why it took me a bit longer to get the shifting down in this thing - was looking at the revs and trying to match them up, and kind of overlooked the weird clutch engagement point. Anyway, I’ve got it all figured out now and every shift is smooth as butter. Yeah, there’s some rev hang, but it’s a total non-issue IMO. Nobody should be trying to bang off Fast and Furious shifts in a Crosstrek anyway!

Will get some better pics later. Also want to mention that I’m happy to have a conversation about any of this stuff without following the usual “only say nice things in Show ‘n Shine!” rule. I never did make a shopping thread for my Crosstrek purchase, so mostly missed out on the “trading a GTI for a Crosstrek? Are you insane?” comments. Happy to discuss it now, though.  :)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2023, 12:28:48 pm »
Enjoy it in good health!

#SaveTheManuals!
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2023, 12:44:27 pm »
^^ Thanks!

Sadly, I think the manuals are doomed. Seems almost certain that the 2024 Crosstrek will be CVT only. Mine is one of the very last ones to roll off the assembly line.

Sad, but happy I got mine in time (barely!)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2023, 01:14:43 pm »
How's the AWD system feeling? The manuals have a 50/50 constant split I think, vs the variable split of the CVT versions. You must have a little ice and snow left

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2023, 01:17:36 pm »
^^ Thanks!

Sadly, I think the manuals are doomed. Seems almost certain that the 2024 Crosstrek will be CVT only. Mine is one of the very last ones to roll off the assembly line.

Sad, but happy I got mine in time (barely!)

Yeah, it's a bummer to see the manuals go. I'd happily drive one still, if my left knee was up to it. The upside is 150k clicks later all those "lifetime" CVT cars will be rolling piles of junk while in your case if the car is undercoated, it should last for decades, maybe even become a classic. I see them everywhere and it's a great car for Canada.

Question: what kind of diffs does it have to run the famous subaru AWD?