Author Topic: Because we need another Crosstrek thread!  (Read 13769 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Because we need another Crosstrek thread!
« Reply #160 on: February 22, 2023, 08:31:45 am »
Way to much rotational mass and tire circumference for that poor little 2.5L and CVT. Looks good parked in Starbucks coffee shop parking lot though

There is a sweet spot and after that it becomes ridiculous.   However, it's a business and if certain "persons" are willing to pay a good premium "look at me I'm a serious off roader, really" then have at it.  Although it would be embarrassing to be seen driving that particular model.

Tons of people off-road these things in the US. Crosstreks even go up nasty trails in Moab:

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2023, 08:40:04 am »
Yeah, seat memory would be awesome. Unfortunately, that's not how Subaru does things. There is no memory function on the 2023s with power seats, and I believe the 2024s are the same.

I really don't understand why they would have power seats without a memory function. All the expensive stuff is already there (motors, wiring.) How much extra could it cost them to add that?  ???

Thinking chip shortage.

That seems plausible, but Crosstrek (in North America) has never had memory on the power seats - all the way back to 2013.

No seat memory indeed on my Limited.

Not too bad with 6-way power seats.  Would have been a deal breaker for sure on my GS-350 with the 18-way power seats as my wife is 8" shorter than me. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2023, 08:43:43 am »
Yeah, seat memory would be awesome. Unfortunately, that's not how Subaru does things. There is no memory function on the 2023s with power seats, and I believe the 2024s are the same.

I really don't understand why they would have power seats without a memory function. All the expensive stuff is already there (motors, wiring.) How much extra could it cost them to add that?  ???

Thinking chip shortage.

That seems plausible, but Crosstrek (in North America) has never had memory on the power seats - all the way back to 2013.

Not too bad with 6-way power seats.  Would have been a deal breaker for sure on my GS-350 with the 18-way power seats as my wife is 8" shorter than me.

It's the one thing that really bugs me about my car. Like you, all four other drivers in the houselhold are 8" shorter than me. Seat memory is rare in this segment...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 22, 2023, 08:46:23 am »

Thinking chip shortage.

It's the one thing that really bugs me about my car. Like you, all four other drivers in the houselhold are 8" shorter than me. Seat memory is rare in this segment...

Does it have power seats on both sides?  Cheaping out on power passenger side is most irritating to me in this segment. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 22, 2023, 08:47:59 am »

Thinking chip shortage.

Does it have power seats on both sides?  Cheaping out on power passenger side is most irritating to me in this segment.

Passenger seat is indeed manual. As in our Odyssey EX, and as in the CX-90 GS.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #165 on: February 22, 2023, 09:31:56 am »

Thinking chip shortage.

It's the one thing that really bugs me about my car. Like you, all four other drivers in the house hold are 8" shorter than me. Seat memory is rare in this segment...
I was making this comment with my wife the other day as she is about 6 inches shorter than me, so when she drives my Civic she never returns it back to the spot I drive at.  Now it's not electric adjustment.  Back when I had the GLI, it had memory seats, had her setting as the #2 button, every single time she drove it she would forget to set it back to my setting, and every single time I get into that car after her I would bash my knee on the dash.  Now that was a pain in the butt, at least the Civic doesn't have that same issue.  Moral of the story, memory seats are great...when the other users reset the seat to the main drivers position.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #166 on: February 22, 2023, 09:52:57 am »
Why not press ‘1’ on the door before getting in? I do this all the time.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2023, 09:57:48 am »

Easier to blame the other person.  ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #168 on: February 22, 2023, 10:01:09 am »
Doesn't the seat "read" each fob that is unlocking the car and adjust  automatically?

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
« Reply #169 on: February 22, 2023, 10:01:38 am »
In the Mazda you can pare it to the keyfob so no more blamming

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 22, 2023, 10:02:29 am »
Doesn't the seat "read" each fob that is unlocking the car and adjust  automatically?

Some higher trims / luxury vehicles have this feature. Works as long as you don't share fobs  ;D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #171 on: February 22, 2023, 10:05:20 am »
My wife drives my vehicles so infrequently that I forget...until I have bashed my knee and swear.  Yes I'm blaming her, she's the guest in my car, it'd be like me getting in her CR-V, messing with the seat and mirrors and not attempting to return those things back to her original position (extra dick move if all I needed to do for that was push a button before leaving the car).

The key fobs for VW are not the type that get read by the car to know to reset the seating and mirrors for each person.  Wish it did, not that I own it anymore.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #172 on: February 22, 2023, 10:11:21 am »
Find the Crosstrek actually not that bad to switch between drivers, the lever that combines moving the seat up and forward at the same time is a great idea

Agree the Lexus with its myriad of seat adjustments would be a nightmare to change back and forth in without memory.

Funny thing is it moves ahead slightly before making any changes, when I change from my wifes setting to me I always feel like it's going to push me through the steering wheel before it moves back

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 22, 2023, 10:48:48 am »
Way to much rotational mass and tire circumference for that poor little 2.5L and CVT. Looks good parked in Starbucks coffee shop parking lot though

There is a sweet spot and after that it becomes ridiculous.   However, it's a business and if certain "persons" are willing to pay a good premium "look at me I'm a serious off roader, really" then have at it.  Although it would be embarrassing to be seen driving that particular model.

Tons of people off-road these things in the US. Crosstreks even go up nasty trails in Moab:

LOL so did a Kia Sorento. You can dress it up all you want but not having a 2 speed transfer case while rock crawling is just foolish.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 22, 2023, 10:57:24 am »

LOL so did a Kia Sorento. You can dress it up all you want but not having a 2 speed transfer case while rock crawling is just foolish.

X-Mode - Subies do have a form of transfer case.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2023, 11:09:31 am »

X-Mode - Subies do have a form of transfer case.

Read my lips: 2 speed transfer case    ;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 22, 2023, 11:43:06 am »

Thinking chip shortage.

It's the one thing that really bugs me about my car. Like you, all four other drivers in the house hold are 8" shorter than me. Seat memory is rare in this segment...
I was making this comment with my wife the other day as she is about 6 inches shorter than me, so when she drives my Civic she never returns it back to the spot I drive at.  Now it's not electric adjustment.  Back when I had the GLI, it had memory seats, had her setting as the #2 button, every single time she drove it she would forget to set it back to my setting, and every single time I get into that car after her I would bash my knee on the dash.  Now that was a pain in the butt, at least the Civic doesn't have that same issue.  Moral of the story, memory seats are great...when the other users reset the seat to the main drivers position.

We flip flop between vehicles quite often and my wife always leaves the seats in her setting.  I can't even get in either vehicle without adjusting the seat first.  Much easier in the Lexus just by pushing the memory setting on the door.

Yet another reason to drive the Lexus into the ground.  I don't want to spend a GD fortune just to get equal feature power seats with memory of both sides  :P  Hard to believe some of the vehicles that don't come with these features these days.  Japanese vehicles seem to be the worst offenders in this, at least in my experience. 

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #177 on: February 22, 2023, 01:20:15 pm »
Memory seats for sure would have been nice, but it hasn't been that big of a deal. As mentioned, it's easy just to hit the switch on the side of the seat before entering. The GTI was a PITA because only the recline function was motorized. Fore-aft adjustment was manual, and the lever was in an awkward spot. Sometimes my wife would move the seat back for me, but sometimes she'd forget.

Yukon of course is awesome - just hit the memory seat button on the door before entering.

One thing I was really worried about was the lack of dual-zone climate control, but so far that's no big deal either. In the Yukon, my side is set at 19 or 20, and my wife always cranks her side to 31.  ::)  So far in the Crosstrek we manage to keep the dial at 21 or 22 and it seems to work out. I just have to remember to take my jacket off before getting in the car if it's a longer drive.  :-\

That's another reason I really like the climate control knobs in the Crosstrek - just grab the knob (don't even have to look for it) and give it a quick spin to where you want. Don't even have to look down, because the temp setting display pops up on the upper screen. In the Yukon, there's stupid buttons buried way down on the panel. If I get in, start driving, then find my wife had it set to 31, I have to hold down the button forever as it skips down in 0.5 degree increments. 2024 Crosstrek has the same PITA buttons instead of a proper knob.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 22, 2023, 01:32:34 pm »
Memory seats for sure would have been nice, but it hasn't been that big of a deal. As mentioned, it's easy just to hit the switch on the side of the seat before entering. The GTI was a PITA because only the recline function was motorized. Fore-aft adjustment was manual, and the lever was in an awkward spot. Sometimes my wife would move the seat back for me, but sometimes she'd forget.

Yukon of course is awesome - just hit the memory seat button on the door before entering.

One thing I was really worried about was the lack of dual-zone climate control, but so far that's no big deal either. In the Yukon, my side is set at 19 or 20, and my wife always cranks her side to 31.  ::)  So far in the Crosstrek we manage to keep the dial at 21 or 22 and it seems to work out. I just have to remember to take my jacket off before getting in the car if it's a longer drive.  :-\

That's another reason I really like the climate control knobs in the Crosstrek - just grab the knob (don't even have to look for it) and give it a quick spin to where you want. Don't even have to look down, because the temp setting display pops up on the upper screen. In the Yukon, there's stupid buttons buried way down on the panel. If I get in, start driving, then find my wife had it set to 31, I have to hold down the button forever as it skips down in 0.5 degree increments. 2024 Crosstrek has the same PITA buttons instead of a proper knob.

Love them too, and my Limited has dual zones, which came in handy on our fall trip.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 22, 2023, 01:37:17 pm »

One thing I was really worried about was the lack of dual-zone climate control, but so far that's no big deal either. In the Yukon, my side is set at 19 or 20, and my wife always cranks her side to 31::)  So far in the Crosstrek we manage to keep the dial at 21 or 22 and it seems to work out. I just have to remember to take my jacket off before getting in the car if it's a longer drive.  :-\

Wait until menopause kicks in.  ;D  Temp set to 16 one day, then 31 the next.  Windows get opened without warning in mid-winter regardless if we are on the hwy, or not, etc.  ::)