Author Topic: The car market is turning.  (Read 98272 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: The car market is turning.
« Reply #680 on: December 25, 2023, 10:22:42 am »
Are these platforms only for Canadian buyers/dealers and if so do dealers use another platform for the US market to determine if they are better off sending them south.

Online TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #681 on: December 25, 2023, 11:14:55 am »
This is what new car dealers in Canada use to obtain a quick idea of what a customer trade is worth on any particular day.  Past associates on mine put the Armada on this platform and the top bid was around $47K which put the vehicle $10K underwater.  It was helpful in as much as it was clear that it was better just to forget about moving into something else and just keep on driving it.

https://www.traderev.com/en-ca/

They aren't anymore though, because TradeRev merged with OpenLane and the platform is all but dead. From thousands and thousands of cars per day, the platform now has barely "hundreds". They made a bunch of their tools subscription-based and nobody's really paying for them. Old-school wholesale and retail are all that's really left. TradeRev is dwindling hard and unless they get their sh*t together, will soon be a thing of the past. It's a shame because the tool was very good prior to this past fall.

Interesting this is happening in your area. It’s going strong as ever here. 2022 was a banner year for TradeRev. Actually, there wasn’t any merger, just alignment of Adesa, Simulcast, and TradeRev into one platform. KAR Global is still the parent company of the whole outfit. I personally prefer EBlock, but the Openlane platform works better for those instant listings/live trade appraisals, etc. Openlane is also terrible to deal with, late titles, awful arbitration policies, and many other issues I’ve faced with them.

OpenLane's arbitration policies are absurd, you're absolutely right. I'm fairly sure that the merge onto one platform happened this past summer or fall, didn't it? In mid-2023?

Two of my GMs really love E-Block, but I'm seeing very minimal activity on E-Block around the GTA.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1227
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #682 on: December 25, 2023, 04:27:42 pm »
The car market sure is turning. Just saw the local dealer is putting money on the hood of brand new CR-V’s!  :o

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #683 on: December 25, 2023, 05:01:23 pm »
The car market sure is turning. Just saw the local dealer is putting money on the hood of brand new CR-V’s!  :o
Not shocking considering they had been pushing the envelope on price with this new generation and around here there has been a noticeable dip in new ones seen on the road, and there is always inventory on the dealer lot.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #684 on: December 25, 2023, 05:09:41 pm »
Used market is still screwed up. I think there are still some dealers (franchise especially) and private sellers which didn't get the memo.

I think I mentioned before, I'm keeping an eye on used '17 X3 35i and it's very frustrating.... Luckily I don't HAVE to buy a car so I got time.
Very interesting that only one (1) out of 15 nationwide '16-'17 X3 35i are in Ontario. Majority are in QC. Second of all, prices are between $22K and $32.5K so a pretty big span... I wouldn't mind buying a BC car but it looks like most have been in some sort of accident. AB cars commonly had one or more glass replacements.

There are tons of F25 X3s in GTA, yet very, very few for sale. Go figure....
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 05:21:59 pm by Dante »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #685 on: December 25, 2023, 06:22:47 pm »
Used market is still screwed up. I think there are still some dealers (franchise especially) and private sellers which didn't get the memo.

I think I mentioned before, I'm keeping an eye on used '17 X3 35i and it's very frustrating.... Luckily I don't HAVE to buy a car so I got time.
Very interesting that only one (1) out of 15 nationwide '16-'17 X3 35i are in Ontario. Majority are in QC. Second of all, prices are between $22K and $32.5K so a pretty big span... I wouldn't mind buying a BC car but it looks like most have been in some sort of accident. AB cars commonly had one or more glass replacements.

You are passing because of a windshield replacement? So common here that must shops are very good.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 25, 2023, 06:49:08 pm »

You are passing because of a windshield replacement? So common here that must shops are very good.

Not saying I would pass on a good unit for that reason, but just an observation. I would assume also lots of paint chips are to be expected on AB cars. Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 06:50:51 pm by Dante »

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #687 on: December 25, 2023, 07:25:54 pm »

Not saying I would pass on a good unit for that reason, but just an observation. I would assume also lots of paint chips are to be expected on AB cars. Am I wrong?

Alberta certainly had its share of rock chips. Couldn’t keep a windshield in our vehicles for much more than a year. I’ve bought 20+ yr old vehicles here in BC with original windshields still. I’ve yet to replace my Sierras windshield going on 5 years and and 150k of BC driving year round.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 25, 2023, 08:25:05 pm »

Alberta certainly had its share of rock chips. Couldn’t keep a windshield in our vehicles for much more than a year. I’ve bought 20+ yr old vehicles here in BC with original windshields still. I’ve yet to replace my Sierras windshield going on 5 years and and 150k of BC driving year round.

Another thing I noticed with BC cars, at least German luxury cars, quite often they are low mileage despite age.
@Revalations - is this something you noticed in the course of your business?

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 25, 2023, 11:15:49 pm »
Yes, German luxury vehicles in the lower mainland are like Toyota Camrys anyplace else. They’re absolutely everywhere. Many are garage queens, people tend to not drive much/far down there. Also, I find the lower mainland vehicles are extremely clean underneath/body. My favourite buys have come from down there.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: December 25, 2023, 11:19:30 pm »
Yes, German luxury vehicles in the lower mainland are like Toyota Camrys anyplace else. They’re absolutely everywhere. Many are garage queens, people tend to not drive much/far down there. Also, I find the lower mainland vehicles are extremely clean underneath/body. My favourite buys have come from down there.

Maybe you can find me one?   :) No rush....
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 11:21:18 pm by Dante »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #691 on: December 26, 2023, 08:16:03 pm »
Not shocking considering they had been pushing the envelope on price with this new generation and around here there has been a noticeable dip in new ones seen on the road, and there is always inventory on the dealer lot.

Agreed.   Dealer lots are full.   These 2024 CRVs have really expanded in size.  The other issue is Honda's hybrid system.  Not exactly proven.  If I was leasing I'd pick a CRV over a RAV any day.  But ownership, nope.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 26, 2023, 10:43:32 pm »

Absolutely! I love finding vehicles for customers.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #693 on: December 27, 2023, 06:28:33 am »

It can be tough to find Vancouver area cars that haven't had multiple insurance claims....or at least one fairly major hit.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 27, 2023, 01:52:43 pm »

It can be tough to find Vancouver area cars that haven't had multiple insurance claims....or at least one fairly major hit.

LOL..... I noticed that but who knows, maybe I can find the unicorn  :) Hope dies last as they say.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 27, 2023, 03:18:17 pm »

Yeah if they are highway driven then expect rock chips. 3M or the like mask treatments are very common. At worst you are looking at a respray of a front clip. That being said ye olde Ridgeline has maybe a handful of rock chips on the a pillar or leading roof area. The front clip is plastic and 3M.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #696 on: December 27, 2023, 04:44:08 pm »
Yeah, you guys use gravel rather than salt out west right?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 27, 2023, 05:34:43 pm »
Yeah, you guys use gravel rather than salt out west right?

They use a combo that they call pickle mix. In the cold straight gravel. Calgary has been screwing around with pre deicers too. The big difference is out here it is so dry. That keeps the rust down to a dull roar. It's the salt/humidity combo that kills the cars in the east.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 03, 2024, 08:35:41 pm »
Is this a sign of market turning or another case of a BC car with half dozen claims and $20K worth of damage?
Mileage on a high side, but still not terrible.

http://www.autotrader.ca/go/5-60970779

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #699 on: January 03, 2024, 09:36:37 pm »
Brought to you by the "Auto Clearance Center" with a certified mechanic on premises. That makes all the difference.  They're clearing them out alright.

The topper is that this vehicle has entered the "GREAT" DEAL ZONE.  So sick.  :rofl2: