Author Topic: The car market is turning.  (Read 98388 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: The car market is turning.
« Reply #420 on: April 14, 2023, 03:15:31 pm »
I think animal collisions don’t count as at fault here inNB.  Comprehensive I believe.  I’ve never had the misfortune but came close enough to a moose outside of Moncton a few years ago to scare myself badly 
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1227
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #421 on: April 14, 2023, 05:15:57 pm »
What a bummer! My son is picking up his new Bolt on Wednesday, I sure hope he’ll have better luck!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #422 on: April 14, 2023, 05:39:29 pm »
What a bummer! My son is picking up his new Bolt on Wednesday, I sure hope he’ll have better luck!

Nice. How long did he have to wait?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #423 on: April 14, 2023, 05:53:30 pm »
We talking big mulies or those cute little white tails? A mullie will screw up your vehicle big time. Halfway to a moose.
They'll both write a vehicle off at speed.

I've bounced a few white tails at 80ish (service roads) and just a a broken headlight on one and a broken grill on the other, both had lots of embedded hair. This was with a Toyota truck too albeit with a tubular front bumper and guard. Maybe that's why chevy has such a big grill in their trucks now., It can simply inhale them.

This truck bumper. Highly recommended in deer country.  ;D

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 14, 2023, 06:15:21 pm »

3 and a half month. His employer is part of the preferred program at GM so he got a nice rebate plus minimal wait time. With this program the order goes right to GM, no need for the dealer to wait to have an allocation to order the car.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #425 on: April 14, 2023, 06:18:23 pm »

3 and a half month. His employer is part of the preferred program at GM so he got a nice rebate plus minimal wait time. With this program the order goes right to GM, no need for the dealer to wait to have an allocation to order the car.

Nice. I was quite smitten with the Bolt at the autoshow. Love the small size and roomy interior. It would make a great city runabout

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #426 on: April 14, 2023, 06:24:30 pm »
We talking big mulies or those cute little white tails? A mullie will screw up your vehicle big time. Halfway to a moose.

I've bounced a few white tails at 80ish (service roads) and just a a broken headlight on one and a broken grill on the other, both had lots of embedded hair. This was with a Toyota truck too albeit with a tubular front bumper and guard. Maybe that's why chevy has such a big grill in their trucks now., It can simply inhale them.

Exactly what's needed!

Australians put that type of thing on pretty much everything, cars included. They called wombats 'fur covered boulders' and apparently kangaroos are as bad as moose for going over the hood and through the windshield

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 14, 2023, 09:44:11 pm »
And this morning....

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

As least he is safe, is Uber ride an option for him now..?  :-\
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #428 on: April 14, 2023, 10:19:43 pm »
And this morning....

Looks like a total loss to me.  :(

Glad he's okay.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 14, 2023, 10:34:25 pm »

Tubular bumper guard is cheating.

I've seen full size trucks written off by deer strikes here.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #430 on: April 14, 2023, 10:59:49 pm »
The bags didn't blow, and I thought it looks savable as well, but him & his Dad took it to CarStar already & they're saying it's not fixable. I guess the motor mounts broke and the engine is pushed back & the front subframe is pushed back a little too by the sounds of it. They're gonna do an estimate to fix it & then they'll figure out the best way forward. Tough call to use insurance or not, will see what the estimate comes back at & then go from there. Kinda 6 of one & a half dozen of an other, use insurance & his rates go up, or pay cash outta pocket.

My alternate thoughts as usual. :)

1.  Deer hits are non fault and are run thru the Comp part of insurance providing one has a Police Report.  PROVIDING ONE HAS A POLICE REPORT indicating a deer strike.   However, being a 13 year old vehicle I can't see an insurance company offering the COMP coverage on new coverage.  Almost always after 10 years it's not offered owning to moral hazard and all that.

2.  Carstar is owned by a American BILLION dollar automotive services company and is the number one CLIP JOINT repair facility operating in Canada.  Horrendous.  Makes Mister Transmission look like Jesus.

3.  Motor mounts cost $35.  Most 13 year old vehicles with high mileage have "broken" looking motor mounts.

The motor is not "pushed back".  They are lying.  If the rad support is still in place which it looks like it is then it's repairable by one's self.  It need's a head light and a hood.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #431 on: April 15, 2023, 07:04:10 am »
And this morning....

Holy crap that's hard luck! Glad he's ok at least.  Deer collisions happen on a daily basis in my hood and I see several fresh splatters of guts on the highways every single day.  I was very paranoid driving my roadster around after dark. 

Btw, that was one of the best looking Kias ever made imo, so quite the bummer there as well.  :P

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 15, 2023, 07:23:00 am »

Tubular bumper guard is cheating.

I've seen full size trucks written off by deer strikes here.

Last year, a deer collided with me while driving the Pro-star, causing damage to the front wing and headlight. Fortunately, the company I work for collected the deer to use as food, so it didn't go to waste.  it actually ran into the lorry front wing and headlight. We were able to get back on the road the same day, since the front bonnet was made of plastic. A new bonnet and headlight were quickly procured, and we were back on the road within 20 minutes. LOl. 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 15, 2023, 07:26:43 am »
Front wing?  Lorry?  bonnet?   How long have you lived here?   :stick: ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #434 on: April 15, 2023, 10:12:23 am »
My vehicle has lived here for 13 years and it still tells me to check my bonnet.  ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #435 on: April 15, 2023, 08:49:08 pm »
The bags didn't blow, and I thought it looks savable as well, but him & his Dad took it to CarStar already & they're saying it's not fixable. I guess the motor mounts broke and the engine is pushed back & the front subframe is pushed back a little too by the sounds of it. They're gonna do an estimate to fix it & then they'll figure out the best way forward. Tough call to use insurance or not, will see what the estimate comes back at & then go from there. Kinda 6 of one & a half dozen of an other, use insurance & his rates go up, or pay cash outta pocket.

1.  Deer hits are non fault and are run thru the Comp part of insurance providing one has a Police Report.  PROVIDING ONE HAS A POLICE REPORT indicating a deer strike.   However, being a 13 year old vehicle I can't see an insurance company offering the COMP coverage on new coverage.  Almost always after 10 years it's not offered owning to moral hazard and all that.

2.  Carstar is owned by a American BILLION dollar automotive services company and is the number one CLIP JOINT repair facility operating in Canada.  Horrendous.  Makes Mister Transmission look like Jesus.

3.  Motor mounts cost $35.  Most 13 year old vehicles with high mileage have "broken" looking motor mounts.

The motor is not "pushed back".  They are lying.  If the rad support is still in place which it looks like it is then it's repairable by one's self.  It need's a head light and a hood.

I would tend to agree with this - give that car a damn good inspection to see what's really damaged before junking it, or signing it over to insurance.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #436 on: April 15, 2023, 10:31:32 pm »

I would tend to agree with this - give that car a damn good inspection to see what's really damaged before junking it, or signing it over to insurance.
Thanks guys, I'm thinking the same thing :cheers:

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 16, 2023, 11:05:02 am »
And this morning....

I see a lot of this sort of thing driving up North in Alberta but it is often moose and because they are so tall, they tend to move into the windshield.

Really happy to see that your boy is going to be okay.  That is all that matters.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 16, 2023, 11:39:45 am »

Thanks guys, I'm thinking the same thing :cheers:

I wonder if you might find the repair estimate is less from an indy body shop for owner paid work vs an insurance estimate from a chain store?

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 16, 2023, 12:21:34 pm »
And this morning....

I see a lot of this sort of thing driving up North in Alberta but it is often moose and because they are so tall, they tend to move into the windshield.

That happened to a friend in a 1996 Jetta at 90-100 kph. Her daughter wanted to go shopping with her but since she hade homeworks to do our friend told her to stay home and study.

The moose ended up more or less sitting on the passenger seat. Our friend was ok, anyone sitting on the passenger seat would not have been that lucky.