Author Topic: 2023 Volkswagen Golf GTI Review  (Read 3361 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
2023 Volkswagen Golf GTI Review
« on: January 12, 2023, 12:55:01 pm »
Volkswagen’s iconic hot hatchback is more refined than ever in its eighth generation.
Read more...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: 2023 Volkswagen Golf GTI Review
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 01:50:32 pm »
Had a chance to drive the autobahn version in auto this summer.  It's an excellent car but for the lack of any physical control knobs that is stunningly stupid.  However, what makes this car unlivable is the ridiculous steps that are required to disable stop/start on every engine restart.

To label the stop/start and the rest of the controls "fussy" reinforces my belief that these reviews are co-written with the Distributor.  At best the controls should be labeled as terrible. 

Anybody looking at this car will be so disappointed because everything else is so excellent.

In Ontario, I see that finance or lease rates are esstentially 8%.  I believe all VW Dealers tack on a $500 Admin Fee as well.  Tuff times.  Can't see a reduction in used car prices whatsoever with new prices the way they are.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 02:05:08 pm »
Had a chance to drive the autobahn version in auto this summer.  It's an excellent car but for the lack of any physical control knobs that is stunningly stupid.  However, what makes this car unlivable is the ridiculous steps that are required to disable stop/start on every engine restart.

To label the stop/start and the rest of the controls "fussy" reinforces my belief that these reviews are co-written with the Distributor.  At best the controls should be labeled as terrible. 

Anybody looking at this car will be so disappointed because everything else is so excellent.

In Ontario, I see that finance or lease rates are esstentially 8%.  I believe all VW Dealers tack on a $500 Admin Fee as well.  Tuff times.  Can't see a reduction in used car prices whatsoever with new prices the way they are.
I do believe that they will be fixing the buttons and controls for 2024 refresh.  As far as stop/start, that's something you really hate, it's easy to avoid with a manual by just keeping the clutch in when at a stop.  Not that I mind it at all on my Civic Si, the CR-V though, we push the off button every time we first start the vehicle.  So like everything, some are better than others.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 02:09:38 pm »
Stop/Start has never bothered me on manual cars.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 02:19:18 pm »
I can only speak for my Civic Si as I haven't driven any other one with that feature.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 02:21:53 pm »
Pricing in Alberta is $40,000 to $50,000 for new, so getting up there

GLI's are listing from $34,000 to $46,000, seems much more reasonable

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 03:22:22 pm »

As far as stop/start, that's something you really hate, it's easy to avoid with a manual by just keeping the clutch in when at a stop. 

I'd always thought that was hard on the throwout bearing.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 03:23:54 pm »

As far as stop/start, that's something you really hate, it's easy to avoid with a manual by just keeping the clutch in when at a stop. 

Same, and depending on the clutch, hard on the left leg as well.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 03:40:46 pm »
I can only speak for my Civic Si as I haven't driven any other one with that feature.

It's probably much the same on any manual car. You effectively have control of when the engine stops and starts.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 04:48:05 pm »

Yeah, I'm getting as rich off of VW paying me off as you are from the competitors paying you off for complaining incessantly.  ::)

Or, maybe I haven't driven the automatic version and had no trouble with the start/stop and understand that once you set up a car's settings, you won't need to regularly modify the majority of them again. That's been the case with the ID.4, Golf R and this GTI. It truly is the weakest point on an otherwise very good machine, but it is far from 'unliveable'. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 04:54:41 pm »

The clutch on the Civic Si is incredibly light and I only keep the clutch in at a stop to keep the engine running if I know the traffic is going to be moving soon.  If it just turned red, I let the car do the stop start, it’s really in unintrusive.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 05:00:38 pm »

The clutch on the Civic Si is incredibly light and I only keep the clutch in at a stop to keep the engine running if I know the traffic is going to be moving soon.  If it just turned red, I let the car do the stop start, it’s really in unintrusive.

My comment was more of a general comment on clutches than on your SI specifically. Honda's have historically had very light clutches, mine included.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 06:18:30 pm »
Pricing in Alberta is $40,000 to $50,000 for new, so getting up there

GLI's are listing from $34,000 to $46,000, seems much more reasonable

Difference in performance, however.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 06:23:03 pm »

The manual has no stop-start. Ditto the Golf R.

Yeah, I'm getting as rich off of VW paying me off as you are from the competitors paying you off for complaining incessantly.  ::)

Or, maybe I haven't driven the automatic version and had no trouble with the start/stop and understand that once you set up a car's settings, you won't need to regularly modify the majority of them again. That's been the case with the ID.4, Golf R and this GTI. It truly is the weakest point on an otherwise very good machine, but it is far from 'unliveable'.

Say I drink the corporate kool-aid all you want, but I've lived with this car for a year. I've said on here before that there's a bunch of easy customization options that make the car miles simpler to live with. It remains a sore spot, and an unforced error for sure, but the chassis and performance vastly overshadow it. For my own money, if I were banished from the industry tomorrow, this is what I'd buy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 06:24:42 pm by Patrick_D1 »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 08:48:39 pm »
1) Declaring this car to be unliveable is somewhere between melodramatic overstatement and patent absurdity.

2) Questioning a journalist's integrity because you disagree with them is snake-belly low. But you won't see the people regularly delivering sermons on civility piping up about it.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 09:04:15 pm »

Say I drink the corporate kool-aid all you want, but I've lived with this car for a year. I've said on here before that there's a bunch of easy customization options that make the car miles simpler to live with. It remains a sore spot, and an unforced error for sure, but the chassis and performance vastly overshadow it. For my own money, if I were banished from the industry tomorrow, this is what I'd buy.

So you can shut the start/stop off permanently with these customizations, or it reverts back every time the car is started?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2023, 10:30:27 pm »

So you can shut the start/stop off permanently with these customizations, or it reverts back every time the car is started?

Reverts back.  Then it's like dealing with a multi layered Ipad just to disable it until the next time.  This is for the automatic I drove.  The entire control system is absurd.  It's mind boggling that it ever made it into production.  But when you look at the Germans today, burning the worst type of coal possible despite spending 1 Trillion USD on solar and wind to be green, in a country that is always cloudy and has little wind, then you can start putting the dots together.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2023, 10:31:56 pm »
1) Declaring this car to be unliveable is somewhere between melodramatic overstatement and patent absurdity.

2) Questioning a journalist's integrity because you disagree with them is snake-belly low. But you won't see the people regularly delivering sermons on civility piping up about it.

Ya Ya Ya.   :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2023, 10:39:10 pm »
As far as stop/start, that's something you really hate, it's easy to avoid with a manual by just keeping the clutch in when at a stop

Of course I hate stop/start.  What's the purpose?  I clearly stated it was an automatic and for practical purposes VW made it so ridiculous to terminate people just won't do it and then you've got yourself a "performance" car that turns it's engine off continuously and restarts continuously.  SWEET.  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2023, 10:41:38 pm »

Reverts back.  Then it's like dealing with a multi layered Ipad just to disable it until the next time.  This is for the automatic I drove.  The entire control system is absurd.  It's mind boggling that it ever made it into production.  But when you look at the Germans today, burning the worst type of coal possible despite spending 1 Trillion USD on solar and wind to be green, in a country that is always cloudy and has little wind, then you can start putting the dots together.

Well that sucks.

If one TRULY hates start stop and the ability to turn it off every drive is a big PITA, I can see why this could be a deal breaker.