Author Topic: 2023 Hyundai Palisade Review and Video  (Read 2915 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
2023 Hyundai Palisade Review and Video
« on: December 12, 2022, 07:52:55 pm »
Without a true entry-level trim, the Palisade’s starting price is a surprise.
Read more...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12388
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: 2023 Hyundai Palisade Review and Video
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 07:28:32 am »
I really have no idea about this segment, but do buyers of giant SUV / CUVs really purchase stripped down base models with steelies and hubcaps in any great numbers?  Seems to me that even the cheapest of these are relatively costly vehicles - are buyers in this category really looking to economize?  Reducing the number of trim levels and streamlining production makes a lot of sense, so long as it isn't more than offset by lost sales.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 08:00:48 am »
I would think if you're willing to pay the fuel costs you're also willing to get a few options.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 08:08:04 am »
I would think if you're willing to pay the fuel costs you're also willing to get a few options.

Indeed.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 09:03:50 am »
I think it's such a big segment that even if your take-up rate on lower trim models is low, the total sales would likely still justify them.  As a kid hauler, I prefer to maximize utility per $, so these appeal to me.  But no way I'd buy the top trim....then you're getting into luxury truck CUV territory.  In my mind, these ONLY make sense in low to mid trim.  But pretty sure I'm weird  :rofl2:

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 09:57:44 am »
I really have no idea about this segment, but do buyers of giant SUV / CUVs really purchase stripped down base models with steelies and hubcaps in any great numbers?

No, they do not. Atlas Trendline runs <3% mix. The vast majority of transactions in this segment are >$50K. Typically, over 75% of Atlases transact above $55K, with over half cracking the $60K barrier considering D&D and fees. Hyundai transacts similarly high mixes on Palisade.

Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 10:04:20 am »
I really have no idea about this segment, but do buyers of giant SUV / CUVs really purchase stripped down base models with steelies and hubcaps in any great numbers?

No, they do not. Atlas Trendline runs <3% mix. The vast majority of transactions in this segment are >$50K. Typically, over 75% of Atlases transact above $55K, with over half cracking the $60K barrier considering D&D and fees. Hyundai transacts similarly high mixes on Palisade.

That's really interesting.  Not sure about this segment in particular, but I bet in Canada the availability of AWD on upper trims likely contributes to this?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 10:18:24 am »

That's really interesting.  Not sure about this segment in particular, but I bet in Canada the availability of AWD on upper trims likely contributes to this?

That's a good point.

I think you would have to look at Subaru, or any other manufacturer where AWD is standard on the base model to get a good idea of take rates minus the impact AWD has on sales.  Too bad Subaru's Ascent isn't really competitive with the others. 

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 10:22:52 am »

That's a good point.

I think you would have to look at Subaru, or any other manufacturer where AWD is standard on the base model to get a good idea of take rates minus the impact AWD has on sales.  Too bad Subaru's Ascent isn't really competitive with the others.

I see a lot of base and lower trim Ascents around these parts....obvious from the small wheels...but we are a high volume Subaru province, so this might not hold true elsewhere.  I bet the Ascent outsells all the other 3-row SUV other than the Pilot around here.  Hardly see any Tellurides or current gen Highlanders. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 10:24:49 am »

Doesn't seem to be a lot of lower end trims of anything on the lots at the moment, might be part of it

On the other hand living standard expectations have really seemed to go up the last few years, along with the long payment plans that low interest rates made fairly painless

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 11:14:14 am »

That's a good point.

I see a lot of base and lower trim Ascents around these parts....obvious from the small wheels...but we are a high volume Subaru province, so this might not hold true elsewhere.  I bet the Ascent outsells all the other 3-row SUV other than the Pilot around here.  Hardly see any Tellurides or current gen Highlanders.

Ascent is the exception, but not super applicable as it sells in pretty small volumes compared to the segment leaders (Highlander, domestics, Atlas, Pilot, and the Korean brands - more or less in that order).

Re: AWD, bit of a red herring - there are virtually no FWD intermediate SUVs sold. Like, 1% mix or less. Most brands, us included, don't even offer FWD anymore even in the Compact segment. In its last year with FWD, Tiguan sold a blistering 0.6% mix of FWD. Not a typo.

Simple fact is that when people stretch into this segment, by and large, they tend to buy mid-trim or up.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 11:49:49 am »

That's a good point.

Ascent is the exception, but not super applicable as it sells in pretty small volumes compared to the segment leaders (Highlander, domestics, Atlas, Pilot, and the Korean brands - more or less in that order).

Re: AWD, bit of a red herring - there are virtually no FWD intermediate SUVs sold. Like, 1% mix or less. Most brands, us included, don't even offer FWD anymore even in the Compact segment. In its last year with FWD, Tiguan sold a blistering 0.6% mix of FWD. Not a typo.

Simple fact is that when people stretch into this segment, by and large, they tend to buy mid-trim or up.

As I suspected.  :cheers:

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2022, 02:08:04 pm »

That's a good point.

Thanks Patrick, really appreciate your insight. 

Just goes to show that I am, in fact, a cheapskate at heart  :P

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2022, 03:44:02 pm »
One of the better parts of my job is having fingertip access to reams of cool market intelligence.

For fun, I pulled AWD penetration in the intermediate SUV segment at the end of October, year-to-date... non-AWD is 0.7%. Not a typo  ;). We're talking <100 cars in total, and about half of these were RWD Explorers. FWD has effectively ceased to exist in that segment. Industry-wide, AWD or 4WD is ~92% in SUVs, with the remaining 8% mostly going to super-small FWD-only subcompact SUVs and RWD BEVs.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2022, 04:48:21 pm »
One of the better parts of my job is having fingertip access to reams of cool market intelligence.

For fun, I pulled AWD penetration in the intermediate SUV segment at the end of October, year-to-date... non-AWD is 0.7%. Not a typo  ;). We're talking <100 cars in total, and about half of these were RWD Explorers. FWD has effectively ceased to exist in that segment. Industry-wide, AWD or 4WD is ~92% in SUVs, with the remaining 8% mostly going to super-small FWD-only subcompact SUVs and RWD BEVs.

Not surprised by that overall trend but a bit surprised at the degree to which AWD absolutely dominates.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2022, 04:54:13 pm »

Is this Canada only?

Curious what the numbers are in the hot regions of the USA (down south).
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 08:31:39 am »

Is this Canada only?

Curious what the numbers are in the hot regions of the USA (down south).

Yes, Canada-only. USA has become majority AWD, but nowhere near to the degree we see here.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2022, 03:20:45 pm »

Are budget-constrained large families simply buying used then? 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2022, 03:52:03 pm »

Just going by what I see on my commute every day, I have no idea, the bus. I see more and more expensive CUVs everyday, whatever model it may be, its in top trim. Everything I see is Limited/Platinum/etc.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2022, 04:23:52 pm »

Just going by what I see on my commute every day, I have no idea, the bus. I see more and more expensive CUVs everyday, whatever model it may be, its in top trim. Everything I see is Limited/Platinum/etc.

Same as I'm seeing.