Author Topic: 2022 Subaru WRX Review  (Read 2428 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
2022 Subaru WRX Review
« on: December 10, 2022, 10:10:39 pm »
Despite its changes, the WRX uses the same formula that made this nameplate shine for decades.
Read more...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: 2022 Subaru WRX Review
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 07:21:07 am »
One of my wife’s coworkers just order one, black with a manual, should be here in a few months.  Just a young girl but her boyfriend is a mechanic at the local Subaru dealership.  Her current vehicle is just starting to get holes in the frame and her BF told her it’s time for a new vehicle.  She tried to find something used but prices are still too crazy so might as well go used.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 09:34:13 am »
Quote: "...but an alternative is a continuously variable transmission (CVT), which might do a better job of keeping the motor in its sweet spot."

:o Sacri-bleu!! Heretic!! Man card deleted!!  How could you!!

Also...
"The fully loaded Sport-tech model is tempting at $41,020"

And then an ad on the same page (on mine anyway):
2022 Subaru WRX Sport-tech Manual with 6400 km and
Damages:
- NO ACCIDENTS
- very small scratch on driver door from parking lot
- damage to rear right bumper. Cost to repair is $1,100 and I can have this done for sale or take that amount off price.
$52,000 (that's not a fake ad is it AT?? Because holy ship)

L.m.F.A.O  :rofl2: :rofl:

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 12:10:21 pm »
This car is growing on me.  A Sport in manual would be a great buy.  I just wish there was an option for Brembos.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 01:26:23 pm »
Base manual seems like a smokin' value. I should have test drove one just for the hell of it

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 01:32:37 pm »
Base manual seems like a smokin' value. I should have test drove one just for the hell of it

Yeah, me too. I’m not crazy about not having power seats, but otherwise there’s nothing that would tempt me to move up any trim levels.

If it was a hatchback, I’m sure I’d have bought one. But I’m also kind of done with spending half the year crashing over icy, rutted winter roads in a car with a stiffer suspension. Really looking forward to the Crosstrek for that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 03:00:06 pm »
. But I’m also kind of done with spending half the year crashing over icy, rutted winter roads in a car with a stiffer suspension.

I hear you and agree!!

Amplifying the harshness is the fact it's a small car. I've been in larger cars with "stiff" suspension and they feel downright luxurious compared to smaller cars.

As much as I LOVE these pocket rockets, they just aren't a serious consideration for me as a daily these days.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 03:02:03 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 04:15:58 pm »
Yeah, the higher ground clearance of the Crossie is nice too, coming from trucks I appreciate not having to worry much about ruts/unplowed snow, driveway approach angles, etc.

The seating height is appreciated as well as it is basically neutral, you don't fall down into it, or boost yourself up at all either

Still, could see how the WRX would appeal. A used Legacy XT like Blueprint found for the same price would be an interesting comparison too, although CVT only

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 06:23:06 pm »

Yeah, me too. I’m not crazy about not having power seats, but otherwise there’s nothing that would tempt me to move up any trim levels.

If it was a hatchback, I’m sure I’d have bought one. But I’m also kind of done with spending half the year crashing over icy, rutted winter roads in a car with a stiffer suspension. Really looking forward to the Crosstrek for that.

Yeah - the Crosstrek will be very nice.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 07:07:28 pm »
You guys are right, the Crosstrek is perfect height for women and the elderly.   :rofl2:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 08:50:26 pm by JohnnyMac »

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2022, 10:02:14 am »

Damned Subaru just won't throw the few of us weirdo enthusiasts a bone, eh?  We want a WRX hatchback, no dice.  Okay, how about a Crosstrek with the WRX engine?  Still no, but we'll put the Crosstrek fender flares on it for you.  Does that help?   >:(

Even still, I really, really like the WRX.  Compared to the Elantra N and presumably the new Civic Type R, the suspension is compliant. I beat the hell out of that thing on the press launch earlier this year on some seriously rutted / pot-holed / puddle-filled gravel roads and it was an absolute blast.  It's such a fun car for real world Canadian life.

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 10:12:18 am »

Damned Subaru just won't throw the few of us weirdo enthusiasts a bone, eh?  We want a WRX hatchback, no dice.  Okay, how about a Crosstrek with the WRX engine?  Still no, but we'll put the Crosstrek fender flares on it for you.  Does that help?   >:(

Even still, I really, really like the WRX.  Compared to the Elantra N and presumably the new Civic Type R, the suspension is compliant. I beat the hell out of that thing on the press launch earlier this year on some seriously rutted / pot-holed / puddle-filled gravel roads and it was an absolute blast.  It's such a fun car for real world Canadian life.

Compared to the Civic Si, this has to be the better drive.  My son and I recently test drove the Si and the rev hang is absolutely horrendous.  From what I have read, this is a non issue with the new WRX.  Is this the case when you drove it?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 09:02:26 am »
Previous gen was too rough riding for our roads, so looking forward to some seat time in the new model. And yes, a Crosstrek XT (with mandatory giant red mudflaps) would be a very fun dirt road buggy!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 09:56:40 am »
Previous gen was too rough riding for our roads, so looking forward to some seat time in the new model. And yes, a Crosstrek XT (with mandatory giant red mudflaps) would be a very fun dirt road buggy!

Definitely looking forward to your review of the new WRX.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 10:09:15 am »

Definitely looking forward to your review of the new WRX.

Colleagues got it in 2022, so I call dibs on the 2023  ;D The young mom I bought my oem winter mats from had traded her Impreza Sport-tech on a new WRX (in proper metallic blue - cool mom), and she said the WRX had a smoother ride than her old car!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022, 10:58:05 am »
Has Subaru given up on their cvt yet and gone back to proper gearboxes.    Maybe they need a tuning company like AMg  to supply manuals, slushboxes and even dsgs that can be fitted to their cars reasonably easily.  I have a friend  who would be back to his 3rd Subie if the Impreza had a manual transmission and a hatchback.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 11:01:09 am by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2022, 11:10:49 am »
Has Subaru given up on their cvt yet and gone back to proper gearboxes.    Maybe they need a tuning company like AMg  to supply manuals, slushboxes and even dsgs that can be fitted to their cars reasonably easily.  I have a friend  who would be back to his 3rd Subie if the Impreza had a manual transmission and a hatchback.

Subaru dranked the CVT Kool-Aid awhile ago and its engineers complain about residual demand for manuals. The best slushies out there are actually made by ZF - their 8-speed is a gem. The Impreza had a manual and a hatchback, but the 3-pedal option is gone on the new generation that will be in stores during 2023.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 08:08:09 am »

Compared to the Civic Si, this has to be the better drive.  My son and I recently test drove the Si and the rev hang is absolutely horrendous.  From what I have read, this is a non issue with the new WRX.  Is this the case when you drove it?

100%.  I had a 2015 WRX (the last generation when they first came out), and the rev-hang made the ownership experience miserable. It was somewhat engineered out as the generation aged, but I'm happy to report the new car has none, or at least so little it's not bothersome at all.

The new Civic Si on the other hand, does have some rev hang still.  It just doesn't seem like anywhere near as good a value either.