Author Topic: 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Towing Test  (Read 4337 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Towing Test
« on: December 02, 2022, 06:45:41 pm »
Defying conventional logic, this gas-electric half-ton prioritizes effort over efficiency.
Read more...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: 2022 Toyota Tundra Hybrid Towing Test
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 07:24:56 pm »
Hardly a tow test.  My Armada could tow that farm wagon easily at slow speeds  ::)

What was not mentioned is if the driver's side turbo assembly takes a crapper the cab must be lifted off the frame to repair. Nice.  :P

The new Tundra is a massive TURD.  It's unbelievable that Toyota would engineer something as incomplete as this.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 07:36:40 pm »

What was not mentioned is if the driver's side turbo assembly takes a crapper the cab must be lifted off the frame to repair. Nice.  [emoji14]

It actually doesn't have to.

But some techs prefer it because it's easier and allows greater access (and the dealer makes more money on book time because it's easier/faster).

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 07:43:33 pm »
Your talking the passenger side.  I'm referring to the driver's side.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 07:58:48 pm »
Your talking the passenger side.  I'm referring to the driver's side.
I've read sufficient room for either side.

But the cab removal is faster and easier for the techs.

Which..again..not a big deal since you personally wouldn't be replacing a turbo anything on your vehicle. :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 08:06:44 pm »

7 years from now when the cab is seized to the frame from Canadian winters.  :)

New Tundra is a massive fail considering Toyota's wealth.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 08:18:53 pm »

7 years from now when the cab is seized to the frame from Canadian winters.  :)

New Tundra is a massive fail considering Toyota's wealth.
Might not be an issue if the bolts go into the frame from INSIDE the cab as opposed to outside in? Which I think is the case...but don't know for sure.

Again...they're put together this way on the line...by design...I don't see what the big deal is because 99/100 people won't be doing this repair themselves anyways.

A local mechanic I chat with that works at GM dealer said they remove the cab for a repair also..because easier and quicker. But it was for something more benign. I think it was for a steering rack on the 4x4 models. But I forget now. :(

My big "fail" with the Tundra is lack of V8!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 10:16:21 pm »
I don't see what the big deal is because 99/100 people won't be doing this repair themselves anyways.

Probably 99.999 %  But they'll be paying.  Tax in probably $5K.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 11:43:52 am »
Crap talking Toyota's turbo's reliablity when you A. own a Ford Ecoboost, B. don't own anything more than 10 years old?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 11:50:05 am »
I don't know how they could take a truck that was known to be an easy 500k km truck and turn into a craptastic Ecobang....for shame Toyota.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2022, 01:36:03 pm »
No one is stating the obvious..  I don't see a single Hybrid for sale under $75K,   most of them around 85-90k.   All for the sake of saving fifteen bucks a week.   

Saving the planet and telling people you're saving the planet are 2 different things  :rofl2:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2022, 01:38:04 pm »
No one is stating the obvious..  I don't see a single Hybrid for sale under $75K,   most of them around 85-90k.   All for the sake of saving fifteen bucks a week.   

Saving the planet and telling people you're saving the planet are 2 different things  :rofl2:

The hybrid also gives you more power. Like the F-150 hybrid, I think the point here isn't so much about fuel economy.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2022, 01:40:37 pm »

The hybrid also gives you more power. Like the F-150 hybrid, I think the point here isn't so much about fuel economy.

I know, but still

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2022, 03:08:07 pm »
Sequoia is hybrid only so they have no choice there. It's a fuel saver in the city, not so much on the highway.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2022, 09:57:37 pm »
Crap talking Toyota's turbo's reliablity when you A. own a Ford Ecoboost, B. don't own anything more than 10 years old?

Is this stupid comment Tuesday  ???

If you can't figure it out let me explain.  :)  Eventually, a turbo, wastegate et al, will require removal for repair.  Any repair on the the left requires the cab to be removed from the frame.  That's fact.  Ever tried something like that on a well used vehicle?  It's positively ridiculous.  These Tundras are turkeys.  Not even auto 4wd.  Cheap shite.

As for a 2022 Ecobust; I'm confident, after employing 100s of thousands of customers as test pilots,  Ford has perfected the 3.5.  Completely redesigned motor from the last POS 3.5.  Stay current please.  The 2.7 is proving stellar.

Once upon a time, I always had a vehicle older than 10 years.  If it's a hobby car like my 2 944s2s, which were 25 years old more or less, one expects issues and struggles thru them without too much complaining.  If it was for daily driving, then new is better than old.  It's an age thing.  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2022, 10:08:45 pm »

Is this stupid comment Tuesday  ???

If you can't figure it out let me explain.  :)  Eventually, a turbo, wastegate et al, will require removal for repair.  Any repair on the the left requires the cab to be removed from the frame.  That's fact.  Ever tried something like that on a well used vehicle?  It's positively ridiculous.  These Tundras are turkeys.  Not even auto 4wd.  Cheap shite.

As for a 2022 Ecobust; I'm confident, after employing 100s of thousands of customers as test pilots,  Ford has perfected the 3.5.  Completely redesigned motor from the last POS 3.5.  Stay current please.  The 2.7 is proving stellar.

Once upon a time, I always had a vehicle older than 10 years.  If it's a hobby car like my 2 944s2s, which were 25 years old more or less, one expects issues and struggles thru them without too much complaining.  If it was for daily driving, then new is better than old.  It's an age thing.  ;D

FWIW, this is from Ford tech in one of the "cab removal" threads I've read online.  Seems to jibe with other stuff I read.  As in not as bad a deal as AS makes out (shocker, I know!)   :rofl: :rofl2:

Having been a Ford tech for 25 years and regularly pulling cabs for certain repairs, I can honestly tell you it is the least intrusive way to service vehicle. Removing the engine would leave much more room for damage to the vehicle for example scratched fenders ect. Cabs are designed to be removed easily and without sacrificing integrity. Cabs can be removed in less than an hour and allow better access without climbing all over the customers vehicle.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 10:10:56 pm by rrocket »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2022, 10:27:38 pm »
Where does this guy live?  Florida, Arizona, California.  Not Ontario.  :rofl2:

OK, let's PRETEND that the vehicle has never seen salt.  It's an insane amount of mechanical work and electrical work.  You need a dedicated lift.  Brand specific tools.  It's madness over a design flaw.  So stupid.

We are not talking about a 1990 Dodge without AC.  Ron, why do you bring in these moronic comments?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 10:29:50 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2022, 10:58:13 pm »

OK, let's PRETEND that the vehicle has never seen salt.  It's an insane amount of mechanical work and electrical work.  You need a dedicated lift.  Brand specific tools.  It's madness over a design flaw.  So stupid.

We are not talking about a 1990 Dodge without AC.  Ron, why do you bring in these moronic comments?

So that Ford mechanic says it take "1 hour" to remove and it's an insane amount of electrical and mechanical work??  Presumably an Ecoboost (which I'm sure is what he refers to) would have plenty of plumbing and electrical connections like a Toyota.  And it's a TRUCK.  What are all the brand specific, special tools required to unfasten bolts on a pickup truck??  Have you started drinking early tonight??   :rofl: :rofl2:

And a dedicated lift?? WTF are you talking about?  Have you ever used one?? Haven't you ever used a lift to remove a read end from a car or something??  It wouldn't be dissimilar to how an engine is removed in a 911.  You unfasten everything, then you use the lift to raise the car and the engine sits on the ground.  Except this would be the opposite.  You'd unbutton then use the lift to raise the cab out of the way.  You could even do it with a  2 post lift IMO.

Honestly...I really don't think it's that tough..especially so considering it was designed this way.

Though you do have an active imagination so I can see how this could morph into something else in your mind.   ;D

**EDIT** Went down a Ford Truck rabbit hole after posting.   Apparently, this occurs in the Ford Truck community frequently...as the Ford Tech said.  There's even DIY videos of it (none for the Tundra..yet).  8 bolts holding the cab to the frame.  No special tool.  No special lift.  Reason for doing so are "faster", "easier access" and my favourite "trucks are too tall to work from the hood".  I presume that would be the case on AS new truck.  Imagine trying to work ion that from the hood?  You'd need a 4 foot step ladder!!   :rofl: :rofl2:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 11:12:53 pm by rrocket »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2022, 11:11:18 pm »

So that Ford mechanic says it take "1 hour" to remove and it's an insane amount of electrical and mechanical work??  Presumably an Ecoboost (which I'm sure is what he refers to) would have plenty of plumbing and electrical connections like a Toyota.  And it's a TRUCK.  What are all the brand specific, special tools required to unfasten bolts on a pickup truck??  Have you started drinking early tonight??   :rofl: :rofl2:

And a dedicated lift?? WTF are you talking about?  Have you ever used one?? Haven't you ever used a lift to remove a read end from a car or something??  It wouldn't be dissimilar to how an engine is removed in a 911.  You unfasten everything, then you use the lift to raise the car and the engine sits on the ground.  Except this would be the opposite.  You'd unbutton then use the lift to raise the cab out of the way.  You could even do it with a  2 post lift IMO.

Honestly...I really don't think it's that tough..especially so considering it was designed this way.

Though you do have an active imagination so I can see how this could morph into something else in your mind.   ;D
Not hard for a good experienced mechanic to remove the cab on a pickup in a dealership garage with all the equipment available to them. Though I do agree with AS that after 5 or so winters in Ontario those bolts might be a bit crusty, however, blast them with PB blaster 24hrs in advance & it's not that bad anymore.

Didn't take Alex too long on Legit Street Cars on an old SVT Lightening

https://youtu.be/E6zyQuBVGnk

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2022, 11:15:10 pm »
Though I do agree with AS that after 5 or so winters in Ontario those bolts might be a bit crusty, however, blast them with PB blaster 24hrs in advance & it's not that bad anymore.

I too think that's at least a possibility.  Would certainly depend on location of screws and whether access is from inside or outside cab.

Several friends of mine certainly have no trouble removing their beds...which they've done because of rusted out beds!!   :rofl: :rofl2: