Author Topic: Where and How Should You Store Your Winter Tires?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Where and How Should You Store Your Winter Tires?
« on: December 01, 2022, 12:53:08 am »
Definitely don’t throw them into the backyard and call it a day.
Read more...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Where and How Should You Store Your Winter Tires?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 01:27:04 am »
63 per cent of Canadian motorists use winter tires (except in Quebec where winter tires are mandatory).

This means that the majority of us go through the ritual of swapping out our summer tires for our winter tires, and vice versa, every spring and fall.

Not necessarily. A lot of us swap wheels  8)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 07:53:38 am »
Shouldn't an article published on Dec 1 be about how to store summer tires?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 07:56:18 pm »
Shhh don't upset the overlords.  ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 08:42:41 pm »
I have a bonus question  :D

Are winter tires = all weather tires in QC, since they also have a 3 peak mountain symbol ?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 08:52:51 pm »

Are winter tires = all weather tires in QC, since they also have a 3 peak mountain symbol ?

I asked the same question and was told "yes".
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 09:22:54 pm »

I think at some point DOT will tighten the standard and once again only the true winter tires will carry the symbol. Why? Insurance lobby and maybe the gov-ts. But for now it's a loophole to get out of the semi-annual tire swaps.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022, 09:24:34 pm »

I think at some point DOT will tighten the standard and once again only the true winter tires will carry the symbol. Why? Insurance lobby and maybe the gov-ts. But for now it's a loophole to get out of the semi-annual tire swaps.

Good luck with that.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022, 09:27:19 pm »

Good luck with that.

Why not? There is a passing grade for everything. Take Energy Star for appliances now and 20 years back.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 09:29:59 pm »

Good luck with that.

Why not? There is a passing grade for everything. Take Energy Star for appliances now and 20 years back.

The DOT is impotent, that's why. 

And any standard they make will be likely guided by the tire lobby....

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 09:31:32 pm by rrocket »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 09:33:59 pm »

Good luck with that.

I see. Not familiar with their inner workings so will take your word for it.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 09:38:29 pm »

I haven't checked in a while, but originally it was pure winter tires only. There was even a list of words that a tire must have in addition to the 3PMS symbol to be legal: arctic, winter, snow, ice, etc. Basically they were excluding the all-terrain tires that first started carrying the 3PMS symbol.

But I guess it's different now with the all-weather tires. I wonder if something like the BFG AT KO2 (with 3PMS symbol) is now legal as well?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2022, 09:38:55 pm »

Good luck with that.

I see. Not familiar with their inner workings so will take your word for it.

They let Tesla beta test self driving cars on the street.  The DOT has also let airliners continue to fly knowing systems/safety were compromised or substandard.

What else do you need to know about their inner workings?  Safety isn't their first priority IMO.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 09:40:46 pm »

I haven't checked in a while, but originally it was pure winter tires only. There was even a list of words that a tire must have in addition to the 3PMS symbol to be legal: arctic, winter, snow, ice, etc. Basically they were excluding the all-terrain tires that first started carrying the 3PMS symbol.

But I guess it's different now with the all-weather tires. I wonder if something like the BFG AT KO2 (with 3PMS symbol) is now legal as well?

I just checked on Quebec gov't website and all it says is:

Winter tire compliance

To be compliant, a tire designed for winter driving must be marked with the pictogram illustrated below or be studded. Tires that are reshaped or remodeled for passenger vehicles must also have the pictogram or be studded.

Studded tires are permitted from October 15 to May 1 on commercial vehicles whose total mass does not exceed 3,000 kg, passenger vehicles, and taxis.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 09:44:28 pm »
Yeah, looks like it changed in 2014. Here's the list of acceptable words from before:

For the purposes of this Regulation, “tire specifically designed for winter driving” means,
(1)  before 15 December 2014, a tire that meets one of the following criteria:
(a)  it bears one of the following inscriptions:
i.  “Alaska”;
ii.  “Arctic”;
iii.  “A/T” or “AT”;
iii.1.  “AT/S” or “AT-S”;
iv.  “Blizzard”;
iv.1.  “Cresta”;
v.  “Ice”;
v.1.  “INSA T1” or “INSA T2” or “INSA TT770”;
vi.  “LT”;
vii.  “Nordic”;
viii.  “Snow”, except “mud and snow”;
ix.  “Stud”;
ix.1.  “Studdable”;
ix.2.  “Studded”;
ix.3.  “Studless”;
ix.4.  “TS”;
ix.5.  “Ultra Grip”;
x.  “Ultra traction”; or
xi.  “Winter”;

(b)  the pictogram in Schedule A is engraved on it; or
(c)  it is a studded tire used in accordance with the Regulation respecting the use of non-skid devices on the tires of certain road vehicles (chapter C-24.2, r. 44);
(2)  as of 15 December 2014, a tire on which the pictogram in Schedule A is engraved and a studded tire used in accordance with the Regulation respecting the use of non-skid devices on the tires of certain road vehicles.

https://www.legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/document/cr/C-24.2,%20r.%2045

So, after 2014 anything with the symbol is good. Kind of a joke, IMO. There are plenty of crappy tires with 3PMS.  :P

Actually, reading it again, it seems any crappy tire with an A/T marking would have been legal, even before 2014.  :P  :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 09:47:05 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 10:10:09 pm »
Shhh don't upset the overlords.  ;D

This made me laugh more than it should have.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 10:41:50 pm »

Intact; #1 auto insurer in Ontario, accepted my BFG K02s as "winter tires" issuing me the laughable $50 winter tire credit for insurance purposes.  The only issue with these 35s is that they are wide.

the KO2 offers measurable traction and durability improvements. According to BFGoodrich, the KO2 is: + 10% improved in mud traction. + 19% improved in snow traction.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 10:43:55 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 04:20:11 am »
Not as bad as BC. They make a big deal about having to have winter tires to drive the Sea to Sky, Coquihalla, etc after Oct 1.  I was shocked to discover that all seasons are apparently  considered "winter" tires for the purposes of their requirements. ???

"By law, passenger vehicles travelling along Highway 99 require winter tires with the three-peaked mountain and snowflake symbol or the M + S (mud and snow symbol) with at least 3.5 mm of tread."

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/10/01/bc-snow-tires-highways/#:~:text=In%20Metro%20Vancouver%2C%20drivers%20will,required%20to%20have%20tire%20chains.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 05:46:59 am by sailor723 »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2022, 09:54:06 am »
I call it the "winter tire" law.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2022, 10:35:58 am »
Yeah, exactly. The Michelin Premier's that come standard on the RX, as all season as they get, are legally perfectly fine on the Coquihalla in the winter. Big surprise to me

Wonder how much stress the province would save themselves if they at least mandated all weathers in the winter. Even in Vancouver they're a good idea, ie the last few days of mayhem