Author Topic: 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Review and Video  (Read 8777 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Review and Video
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2022, 05:50:45 pm »
Most people don't tow with their trucks.

Depends on where you live.  Your sample of 1 may be biased.

I don't think it should be just "towing" but more specific towing.  That is longer than say 150kms before having access to a charger.  A friend of ours has owned a pickup truck for over 20 years, has a boat and recently got a nice utility trailer.  He tows, but he doesn't tow more than 50kms at one time. 

I would say there are definitely quite a few people out there that tow, but there would be some of them that wouldn't tow more than 150kms before having access to a charger.  Obviously this truck is not the best for long distance towing of any kind.  But shorter distance, it can handle.

Again, this is 100% a compromise and does not live up to the ICE competition.  But then it does offer quite a few advantages over the ICE as well.  So in the end, it's not for everyone.

But again, if I have to immediately put the freaking thing on a charger for an hour after towing something across town, thats kinda meaningless.
Across town?  How big of a town you got.  We are talking about 150kms.  If it's say 30kms across town in stop and go traffic towing a bunch of soil, you wouldn't be left with no range.  Like I said, it's a compromise, not perfect and anyone who says it is doesn't really grasp what a real truck can do.  That being said, only a portion of truck buyers tow something large for more than 150kms at one time, and with this being an EV you'll see a greater number of people who wouldn't consider a truck before now consider it.

Long story shot, EV trucks are by no means going to make the ICE trucks obsolete, not by a long shot.  But it's nice to have it as an option.

If you add in -10C or worse, that range is going to be much less, however.

Funny you mention that.

Ford released this a couple days ago.  Winter tips.

Park in a garage
Use the HVAC controls minimally.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2022/11/23/tips-to-help-maximize-the-range-of-your-f-150-lightning-in-cold-.html
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2022, 06:11:49 pm »

I don't think it should be just "towing" but more specific towing.  That is longer than say 150kms before having access to a charger.  A friend of ours has owned a pickup truck for over 20 years, has a boat and recently got a nice utility trailer.  He tows, but he doesn't tow more than 50kms at one time. 

I would say there are definitely quite a few people out there that tow, but there would be some of them that wouldn't tow more than 150kms before having access to a charger.  Obviously this truck is not the best for long distance towing of any kind.  But shorter distance, it can handle.

Again, this is 100% a compromise and does not live up to the ICE competition.  But then it does offer quite a few advantages over the ICE as well.  So in the end, it's not for everyone.

But again, if I have to immediately put the freaking thing on a charger for an hour after towing something across town, thats kinda meaningless.
Across town?  How big of a town you got.  We are talking about 150kms.  If it's say 30kms across town in stop and go traffic towing a bunch of soil, you wouldn't be left with no range.  Like I said, it's a compromise, not perfect and anyone who says it is doesn't really grasp what a real truck can do.  That being said, only a portion of truck buyers tow something large for more than 150kms at one time, and with this being an EV you'll see a greater number of people who wouldn't consider a truck before now consider it.

Long story shot, EV trucks are by no means going to make the ICE trucks obsolete, not by a long shot.  But it's nice to have it as an option.

Funny you mention that.

Park in a garage

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2022/11/23/tips-to-help-maximize-the-range-of-your-f-150-lightning-in-cold-.html

Holy caveats, Batman.

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2022, 07:53:37 pm »

Funny you mention that.

Park in a garage

Fingers in ear “la la la best truck ever, works for 80%, nothing it can’t do, never buy gas, you have to stop anyway, everyone with 90$k to spend has a heated garage anyway”

Never in a modern vehicle have I ever read so many compromises that just get excused with so many “ya buts”. Buy one to go to Home Depot and back and it’ll be the best truck ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra; 2012 Civic (Junior1), 2013 Sentra (Junior2)
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2022, 08:23:50 pm »
I am a truck owner. This would not work for me. There are other truck owners on here that it would not work for. I’m sure it would work for many others, such as Taurii, or EV-light or whatever the latest and greatest name is.

Just because a truck owner isn’t towing all the time or hauling all the time doesn’t mean it’s not used for those applications. I drive my truck to work daily not towing or hauling anything. But it works on weekends, mostly in the summer, towing or hauling, more weekends than not.

I do look forward to the day where these electrics are more practical, but they aren’t there yet for a good portion of the population. Have a look at charging infrastructure between Calgary and Saskatoon. Last time I looked there wasn’t a single charger along the way.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2022, 08:32:06 pm »
I am a truck owner. This would not work for me. There are other truck owners on here that it would not work for. I’m sure it would work for many others, such as Taurii, or EV-light or whatever the latest and greatest name is.

Just because a truck owner isn’t towing all the time or hauling all the time doesn’t mean it’s not used for those applications. I drive my truck to work daily not towing or hauling anything. But it works on weekends, mostly in the summer, towing or hauling, more weekends than not.

I do look forward to the day where these electrics are more practical, but they aren’t there yet for a good portion of the population. Have a look at charging infrastructure between Calgary and Saskatoon. Last time I looked there wasn’t a single charger along the way.

I'd say they aren't there yet for MOST of the population.  Price, charging infrastructure, etc.

There's a reason EVs only account for ~5% of the market in NA.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1231
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2022, 10:34:29 pm »
It’s the very limited supply that limits EV sales growth. Ford has a 3 year waiting list for the Lightning. Same situation for most EV’s. When I put a deposit for a Lyric in July I was number 66 on that dealer waiting list. That means I’d be lucky to get it in 2024 if I would decide to actually buy it.

How long to get a Rav4 Prime? And the new Prius, now that it looks good, and with 60 km range, I bet at least 2 years to get one.

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2022, 11:29:15 pm »
It’s the very limited supply that limits EV sales growth. Ford has a 3 year waiting list for the Lightning. Same situation for most EV’s. When I put a deposit for a Lyric in July I was number 66 on that dealer waiting list. That means I’d be lucky to get it in 2024 if I would decide to actually buy it.

How long to get a Rav4 Prime? And the new Prius, now that it looks good, and with 60 km range, I bet at least 2 years to get one.

2-3 Years for a Rav prime. My Mitsubishi dealer has 90 pre orders for the Outlander PHEV, he's small, the dealer in Vancouver has over 200 orders.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2022, 12:35:14 am »

How many orders?  Let’s look at demand as well or your comments are strawman.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2022, 12:47:47 am »
Yeah we were looking for an electric originally, a Toyota dealer for a Prime was our first call. Our dealer wasn’t even taking orders!

Whoever can supply a reasonably priced AWD electric is going to have a lot of sales

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2022, 08:08:00 am »

While I agree that the supply is limiting EV sales, but that's true for a lot of non-EV's currently.  Even if the supply could meet demands, it likely wouldn't be more than a percent or two higher than current market share.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2022, 08:20:01 am »
Yeah we were looking for an electric originally, a Toyota dealer for a Prime was our first call. Our dealer wasn’t even taking orders!

Whoever can supply a reasonably priced AWD electric is going to have a lot of sales

A Toyota Canada executive told me that if they had to fill every single order for a RAV4 Prime, it would take them 8 years to fullfill them. The current 3 yr avg delivery time comes from the multiple deposits.

And, just to be clear, if I get the Lightning for a review, I'm not towing anything to Jasper  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2022, 08:29:31 am »

A Toyota Canada executive told me that if they had to fill every single order for a RAV4 Prime, it would take them 8 years to fullfill them. The current 3 yr avg delivery time comes from the multiple deposits.

And, just to be clear, if I get the Lightning for a review, I'm not towing anything to Jasper  ;D

Just don't mark it as a 10/10 for practicality, because it's NOT as practical as a normal 2.7TT F150.

10/10 for powertrain would be acceptable, though...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2022, 08:36:36 am »

I'd say they aren't there yet for MOST of the population.  Price, charging infrastructure, etc.

I think supply and price limit the demand more than anything else. Most people I talk to say they intend for their next vehicle to be an EV. A close friend is on the list for a Lightning after four EB F-150s and his wife just got a 330e (i4 was too much $$). Another friend just replaced his wife's old Tucson with a used Corolla as an interim solution until he can get something like the ID.4. Was talking to a few former colleagues who are interested in EVs or PHEVs as their next purchase. It's a pretty consistent theme these days, at least in my experience.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1231
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2022, 08:36:45 am »

;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2022, 09:56:28 am »

I think supply and price limit the demand more than anything else. Most people I talk to say they intend for their next vehicle to be an EV. A close friend is on the list for a Lightning after four EB F-150s and his wife just got a 330e (i4 was too much $$). Another friend just replaced his wife's old Tucson with a used Corolla as an interim solution until he can get something like the ID.4. Was talking to a few former colleagues who are interested in EVs or PHEVs as their next purchase. It's a pretty consistent theme these days, at least in my experience.

For sure. I'd guess many are like us where they would have a gasoline vehicle as well, so long trips/extreme cold would be covered. But the 95% of driving that isn't like that could be covered by the electric

The Rav4 Prime is great in that it would be fine by itself, but something like an AWD Bolt would sell by the bucketful

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2022, 10:13:22 am »

For sure. I'd guess many are like us where they would have a gasoline vehicle as well, so long trips/extreme cold would be covered. But the 95% of driving that isn't like that could be covered by the electric

The Rav4 Prime is great in that it would be fine by itself, but something like an AWD Bolt would sell by the bucketful

If GM actually delivers the sub-$40k Equinox EV they promised, they will take over the market.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2022, 10:13:37 am »

That's exactly it – most people seem to think that the best solution right now is either a PHEV, or an EV + ICE vehicle as a two car solution.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2022, 10:43:55 am »

Yeah, to me something electric would be a cheap, disposable around town car to get to and from work cheaply. For long road trips, you need a big boy, ICE vehicle of sorts. Sorry, hanging out at charge points with Tesla types espousing their superiority to everyone does not sound like a good time to me.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2022, 10:47:26 am »

Yeah, to me something electric would be a cheap, disposable around town car to get to and from work cheaply. For long road trips, you need a big boy, ICE vehicle of sorts. Sorry, hanging out at charge points with Tesla types espousing their superiority to everyone does not sound like a good time to me.

Just bring this to discuss panel gaps and how other brands have proper assembly procedures. Fun times guaranteed.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2022, 10:48:58 am »
OOohhhhhhhh

Actual Tesla owner-