Author Topic: 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Review and Video  (Read 8768 times)

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Re: 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Review and Video
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2022, 11:09:09 am »
Interestingly enough, Used Tesla’s are abundant here and are very hard to resell. EV’s are often traded in for ICE/PHEV within a year (I pry this info out of dealers every time a used one comes into the market). From what I’m seeing and hearing, most people who want to go electric want a hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2022, 11:12:14 am »
Interestingly enough, Used Tesla’s are abundant here and are very hard to resell. EV’s are often traded in for ICE/PHEV within a year (I pry this info out of dealers every time a used one comes into the market). From what I’m seeing and hearing, most people who want to go electric want a hybrid.

I think a plug in hybrid is the ultimate combination. The run around capability of an EV and the long distance and quick refuel capabilities of an ICE and none of the downsides.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2022, 11:13:25 am »
Most people don't tow with their trucks.

Depends on where you live.  Your sample of 1 may be biased.

I don't think it should be just "towing" but more specific towing.  That is longer than say 150kms before having access to a charger.  A friend of ours has owned a pickup truck for over 20 years, has a boat and recently got a nice utility trailer.  He tows, but he doesn't tow more than 50kms at one time. 

I would say there are definitely quite a few people out there that tow, but there would be some of them that wouldn't tow more than 150kms before having access to a charger.  Obviously this truck is not the best for long distance towing of any kind.  But shorter distance, it can handle.

Again, this is 100% a compromise and does not live up to the ICE competition.  But then it does offer quite a few advantages over the ICE as well.  So in the end, it's not for everyone.

But again, if I have to immediately put the freaking thing on a charger for an hour after towing something across town, thats kinda meaningless.
Across town?  How big of a town you got.  We are talking about 150kms.  If it's say 30kms across town in stop and go traffic towing a bunch of soil, you wouldn't be left with no range.  Like I said, it's a compromise, not perfect and anyone who says it is doesn't really grasp what a real truck can do.  That being said, only a portion of truck buyers tow something large for more than 150kms at one time, and with this being an EV you'll see a greater number of people who wouldn't consider a truck before now consider it.

Long story shot, EV trucks are by no means going to make the ICE trucks obsolete, not by a long shot.  But it's nice to have it as an option.

If you add in -10C or worse, that range is going to be much less, however.

Funny you mention that.

Ford released this a couple days ago.  Winter tips.

Park in a garage
Use the HVAC controls minimally.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2022/11/23/tips-to-help-maximize-the-range-of-your-f-150-lightning-in-cold-.html

Holy caveats, Batman.
My winter range charge to 90% so far is sitting at 298kms…just drove off to the lake, 155kms…no issues at all.

Super important is to warm up the batteries before any journey, that makes a hugeeee difference in range.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2022, 11:39:07 am »

I've noticed the same in Edmonton. Tons of used Teslas, all still priced at a premium and none of them selling. Very interesting shift - although my sample size is small, I too have talked to 3 dealerships (each of which have numerous used Teslas collecting dust - all Model 3s to be precise) and they said the same thing - all were traded in for ICE/PHEV.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2022, 11:52:18 am »

I've noticed the same in Edmonton. Tons of used Teslas, all still priced at a premium and none of them selling. Very interesting shift - although my sample size is small, I too have talked to 3 dealerships (each of which have numerous used Teslas collecting dust - all Model 3s to be precise) and they said the same thing - all were traded in for ICE/PHEV.

I was at the Oilers game the other day and sat with two clients, each that own Teslas.  Apart from the shoddy quality, they said they were summer only cars in the current weather conditions and they both have other gas powered vehicles if they need range and / or if there are time constraints with respect to charging.

...and if they have to tow.... :rofl2:

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2022, 11:53:26 am »
It’s the very limited supply that limits EV sales growth. Ford has a 3 year waiting list for the Lightning. Same situation for most EV’s. When I put a deposit for a Lyric in July I was number 66 on that dealer waiting list. That means I’d be lucky to get it in 2024 if I would decide to actually buy it.

How long to get a Rav4 Prime? And the new Prius, now that it looks good, and with 60 km range, I bet at least 2 years to get one.
While I agree that the supply is limiting EV sales, but that's true for a lot of non-EV's currently.  Even if the supply could meet demands, it likely wouldn't be more than a percent or two higher than current market share.

Exactly.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2022, 11:55:02 am »
I am a truck owner. This would not work for me. There are other truck owners on here that it would not work for. I’m sure it would work for many others, such as Taurii, or EV-light or whatever the latest and greatest name is.

Just because a truck owner isn’t towing all the time or hauling all the time doesn’t mean it’s not used for those applications. I drive my truck to work daily not towing or hauling anything. But it works on weekends, mostly in the summer, towing or hauling, more weekends than not.

I do look forward to the day where these electrics are more practical, but they aren’t there yet for a good portion of the population. Have a look at charging infrastructure between Calgary and Saskatoon. Last time I looked there wasn’t a single charger along the way.

I'd say they aren't there yet for MOST of the population.  Price, charging infrastructure, etc.

There's a reason EVs only account for ~5% of the market in NA.

I think supply and price limit the demand more than anything else. Most people I talk to say they intend for their next vehicle to be an EV. A close friend is on the list for a Lightning after four EB F-150s and his wife just got a 330e (i4 was too much $$). Another friend just replaced his wife's old Tucson with a used Corolla as an interim solution until he can get something like the ID.4. Was talking to a few former colleagues who are interested in EVs or PHEVs as their next purchase. It's a pretty consistent theme these days, at least in my experience.

For sure. I'd guess many are like us where they would have a gasoline vehicle as well, so long trips/extreme cold would be covered. But the 95% of driving that isn't like that could be covered by the electric

The Rav4 Prime is great in that it would be fine by itself, but something like an AWD Bolt would sell by the bucketful

Based on the current grid or the pipe dream future one?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2022, 11:56:53 am »

I was at the Oilers game the other day and sat with two clients, each that own Teslas.  Apart from the shoddy quality, they said they were summer only cars in the current weather conditions and they both have other gas powered vehicles if they need range and / or if there are time constraints with respect to charging.

...and if they have to tow.... :rofl2:
I would think that the people who own a Model S are more likely to have multiple vehicles to choose from where as the Model 3 could be someone who stretched their budget to be part of the EV/Tesla group and don't have the means to part their car for 4+ months of the year.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2022, 11:58:29 am »

Still in high demand here in QC and people event profit from selling them used. But with the increased competition, quality issue and repair hassles, I see Tesla's star fading fast. Musk's twittergate ain't helping either. The guy is quickly becoming a deterrent to the brand.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2022, 03:53:02 pm »

Still in high demand here in QC and people event profit from selling them used. But with the increased competition, quality issue and repair hassles, I see Tesla's star fading fast. Musk's twittergate ain't helping either. The guy is quickly becoming a deterrent to the brand.
I just can’t believe people base their purchases on who/what the company CEO is doing on a social media platform.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2022, 03:58:07 pm »

I just can’t believe people base their purchases on who/what the company CEO is doing on a social media platform.

Yup, I couldn't care less if Porsches CEO started spitting on babies, let alone what he said on twatter, I want a 911, if I can afford, I'm buying it. Tesla is different though, they appealed to a section of society that lives and dies online, so I can see why it matters so much.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2022, 04:03:02 pm »

Yup, I couldn't care less if Porsches CEO started spitting on babies, let alone what he said on twatter, I want a 911, if I can afford, I'm buying it. Tesla is different though, they appealed to a section of society that lives and dies online, so I can see why it matters so much.

Bingo. And mostly to people that live on the left side of center who may not take well how the very public CEO reflects on their car-as-a-message

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2022, 04:06:14 pm »
My car is a "nazi" supporter  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: sorry, #mycarisanazisupporter

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2022, 04:14:10 pm »
My car is a "nazi" supporter  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: sorry, #mycarisanazisupporter

This is more the Teslarati mindset:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2022, 04:45:33 pm »

Bingo. And mostly to people that live on the left side of center who may not take well how the very public CEO reflects on their car-as-a-message

Well I think too that the more cars Tesla sells, the more wealth he has.  And the more wealth he has the broader reach his messages and beliefs have.

So I can definitely see why people (and advertisers on Twitter) want nothing to do with Tesla.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1231
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2022, 06:01:39 pm »
So I guess you sold your Tesla shares some time ago?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2022, 06:14:27 pm »

This is more the Teslarati mindset:

Gawd thats terrible, I don't care who's side your on. I couldn't imagine being that big of a fan of a politician to plaster them all over your car......

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2022, 09:17:45 pm »

By Twittergate I don't think he necessarily meant what Musk is saying on Twitter but rather what he's doing with the company. Musk has a history of treating his employees like **** and a lot of that is now coming to light in a more public way. Not to mention the fact that he's emboldened hate groups to use Twitter because he's basically canned the entire content moderation team. This all goes far beyond what the dumb **** he says on Twitter.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2022, 10:59:15 pm »
I'll still maintain that with a Lightning towing your trailer, you're not making it to Jasper.  To get from Edmonton to Jasper, you need to stop in Stony Plain to top up batteries.  Then it's 167kms to Edson, the next stop with chargers.  Not a problem when you're driving an unladen Lightning - but pulling a large travel trailer such as yours, range is reduced to 150km or less.  I don't think you're making it.

True. Well who am I kidding anyway, I'm way to cheap to buy a new gas anything let alone a new electric anything. :rofl2: I do worry my Explorer will be too small with 4 kids both dimensionally and payload wise so I'm looking at going up to a same gen Expedition or Yukhoeban.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2023, 12:12:35 pm »
Well it’s official. I finally know someone with a Lightning. Brother in law of my neighbour, who also lives in the neighbourhood. He’s a contractor, renovations.
I love it when a plan comes together.