Author Topic: 5 Tips to Consider Before Buying Your First ATV  (Read 4170 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: 5 Tips to Consider Before Buying Your First ATV
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2022, 07:44:20 pm »
I know an outfitter. He won’t buy anything but Honda, and he’s been through them all over the last 30+ years. His ATVs are worked hard dragging baits through the bush/skeg.

I would not be using a snowmobile transmission powered ATV to drag equipment thru the bush.  If he's running a business then he is trading them in before they crap out or not bothered by the massive repair.  I am speaking to the average recreational owner that after the one year warranty is on the hook for a hydrostatic transmission.  Could not even begin to estimate the cost of that device.

No need for something so complex for a recreational user.  Great system in a Kabota which I own.  The Yamaha and Suzuki snowmobile transmissions are super light and so much simpler to repair (DIY).

Perhaps a member that actually OWNS a Honda hydrostatic will chime in.  Not 100%, but I believe BWII is a partisan Honda ATV owner but his might be prior to hydrostatic.  Owners need to service these transmissions so who actually does that. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2022, 09:06:33 pm »
I know an outfitter. He won’t buy anything but Honda, and he’s been through them all over the last 30+ years. His ATVs are worked hard dragging baits through the bush/skeg.

I would not be using a snowmobile transmission powered ATV to drag equipment thru the bush.  If he's running a business then he is trading them in before they crap out or not bothered by the massive repair.  I am speaking to the average recreational owner that after the one year warranty is on the hook for a hydrostatic transmission.  Could not even begin to estimate the cost of that device.

No need for something so complex for a recreational user.  Great system in a Kabota which I own.  The Yamaha and Suzuki snowmobile transmissions are super light and so much simpler to repair (DIY).

Perhaps a member that actually OWNS a Honda hydrostatic will chime in.  Not 100%, but I believe BWII is a partisan Honda ATV owner but his might be prior to hydrostatic.  Owners need to service these transmissions so who actually does that.

He doesn’t trade anything in. Drives them into the ground.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2022, 09:15:23 pm »
He doesn’t trade anything in. Drives them into the ground.

::)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2022, 09:30:41 pm »
What’s that mean. Rockridge outfitting in SK. PM me and I’ll send you his name and number.

Or don’t. You know better.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 09:35:09 pm by bridgecity »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2022, 10:17:33 am »
I've been to the mountains sledding once.  For this flatlander it was an eye opening and butt puckering experience.  I rode with mostly andrenaline junky experienced riders, who were constantly pushing to go further, climb higher.  Won't do that again.  Next time if it happens will be with a guide that tailors the ride to my inexperience.

I ALWAYS wear chest armor when sledding.
Huh, I don’t think I have ever seen anyone wear that.  But the last time I drove a snowmobile it was the early 90’s on a Arctic Cat Jag from the 80’s.  Back when sleds didn’t go 150mph.

Chest injury one of the top fatality on sleds, ATVs, dirtbikes, etc  So I wear a full chest/back Level 2 reactive armor

I wear one of these...

Remembered this discussion when I saw this on twitter

Yes he was taken to Kamloops for the puncture lung.. found five ribs broken and two broken twice.. sled cartwheeled as going up hitting him.. chest protector was not worn that day.. called 911, but would of been much quicker to call local choppers, he was struggling to breathe

https://twitter.com/fredweisg/status/1604655866367868928