Author Topic: 5 Tips to Consider Before Buying Your First ATV  (Read 4183 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: 5 Tips to Consider Before Buying Your First ATV
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2022, 07:03:49 pm »
I just find all those shirts/jackets hot. The forcefield is pretty slick and it looks like it is more available than it was. I would love to see an updated version. I mostly went with an earlier version of the A Stars A10 for the neck brace compatibility but that is another story for another time.

I generally consider most recreational ATVers to be from the "hold my beer crowd" and there is no way they would wear any of these lol..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2022, 07:14:55 pm »
I just find all those shirts/jackets hot. The forcefield is pretty slick and it looks like it is more available than it was. I would love to see an updated version. I mostly went with an earlier version of the A Stars A10 for the neck brace compatibility but that is another story for another time.

I generally consider most recreational ATVers to be from the "hold my beer crowd" and there is no way they would wear any of these lol..

Here, check this out.  You can really get a sense of how "airy" the new Forcefield is.  Not only that, it's a performance textile that keeps you cool. 

Also agree about the average ATV/off road rider.  Gear?  What's that??   :rofl: :rofl2:

https://www.mcgearhub.com/motorcycle-jackets/forcefield-pro-shirt-x-v-2-air-review-test/

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 07:18:01 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2022, 07:34:14 pm »
It looks like good stuff. End of the review sums up my issue. Most of my adventure riding is in the summer and being hot is what I constantly struggle with. I typically wear the thinnest synthetic T shirt I can find and then a chest protector  with loose forearm/elbow protectors. Over top of this a Klim Mojave jersey which is more holes than fabric. That's it. If it rains or is uber cold (down to about 0C) I use an old goretex shell over top of everything.

The plastic exo shell on the chest protector should provide abrasion resistance and perhaps will help if I am getting mauled by a bear. ;D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2022, 07:51:52 pm »
Is this still the ATV thread?   :rofl2:

ATV prices still pretty reasonable after all these years, but the complexity has increased.  Fuel injection, power steering, no backup pull start and no more air cooled units are the main culprits.

I have from new at 2009 Suzuki Kingquad in Forest Camo.  Other than the first battery this summer since new, I have not done any repairs other than diff fluids which was a waste of effort  But I thought I should do it 5 years ago considering the age.

My 2 cents is don't get anything to heavy.  They become too heavy to man handle and these units can roll over on you easily.

I use my unit for plowing and it does a great job.  Only on my second winch.  Lately, I've been too lazy to truck it to my cottage, but when it's there I do enjoy the odd excursion.

I'm also a big fan of ATVs that use snowmobile transmissions.  I had a Honda prior with their clutch system and it was crap.  Honda still sticks with that overly complex system.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2022, 07:55:30 pm »
ATVs around the homestead doing things are great.  Out on trails? For every guy going out fishing or hunting there is a family of overweight slobs half pissed cruising around with no helmets yelling "giver!"

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2022, 08:07:52 pm »
 :rofl2:

That isn't a issue in my area.  There are few "trails" that lead anywhere worth going.   Certainly no network like the snowmobile trails.   Mostly one is riding on township roads and I'm still not sure if it's legal or not to drive them. 

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2022, 08:18:42 pm »
They are apparently trying to phase them out in the forestry industry. Too many accidents, or too much insurance liability, or both.

In the past few years they’ve all sprouted bizarre rollover protection: giant hoops or huge poles with a spring on the end, but apparently even that isn’t safe enough.

I’m starting to see single-seat UTVs around. Full roll cage, but can still squeeze in the bed of a pickup.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2022, 08:21:28 pm »
They (SxS) are damn dangerous in Idaho. Full drift, wrong side of road. 12 year old kid driving.  Nowhere to go if you are going the other way. Quads I could deal with. Going slow.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2022, 08:31:19 pm »
They are apparently trying to phase them out in the forestry industry. Too many accidents, or too much insurance liability, or both.

In the past few years they’ve all sprouted bizarre rollover protection: giant hoops or huge poles with a spring on the end, but apparently even that isn’t safe enough.

I’m starting to see single-seat UTVs around. Full roll cage, but can still squeeze in the bed of a pickup.

Pretty sure number one injury from ATVs are broken collar bones.  But that probably can be said for dirt bikes as well.  Unlike sleds and road bikes not many ATV accidents end in death.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2022, 08:40:34 pm »

My 2 cents is don't get anything to heavy.  They become too heavy to man handle and these units can roll over on you easily.

An excellent point.

I spent a summer borrowing a friends TINY Polaris Hawkeye.  Despite it's size, it still had IRS and rode very, very well.

After you get over the tiny size, it becomes one of its endearing qualities IMO.  Could fit in the narrowest of places.  Was light, compact.  It wasn't a beast....but more like a mountain goat.  It just...went.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2022, 10:46:47 pm »
A buddy of mine into mountain sledding was recounting that. Sure the sled was expensive, but then he got a bigger trailer for the haul to mountains, then he needed a bigger truck to haul the bigger trailer....

Sort of like how horses go for some
Sledding is just underneath boating on the toy money pit chart.  ;D

:o :o

Holy crap, really?!!?! I have a lot of friends that are into sledding and they are trying to get me into it. That would involve a sled and a trailer, but honestly, I just hate being out in the cold. Plus the whole having to drive to get to the good sledding sites, no thanks.
I guess not that bad back east with touring sleds  and the nice maintaned tracks. but  here you have to go to the  mountains and its get fairly expensive.  Buddy broke down twice  on the mountain,  had to pay for a choppa   to get your toy pack to the parking lot. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2022, 11:17:55 pm »
I guess not that bad back east with touring sleds  and the nice maintaned tracks. but  here you have to go to the  mountains and its get fairly expensive.  Buddy broke down twice  on the mountain,  had to pay for a choppa   to get your toy pack to the parking lot. 

Ya, mountain sliding is the ultimate but really expensive  "Back East" the trails generally suck because of the oscillating temps.  One need to sled in northern Ontario or north east of Montreal, but who lives there.  It's an industry very much in decline.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2022, 11:38:24 pm »

Ya, mountain sliding is the ultimate but really expensive  "Back East" the trails generally suck because of the oscillating temps.  One need to sled in northern Ontario or north east of Montreal, but who lives there.  It's an industry very much in decline.

Lucan, not far from London, is fantastic for sledding.

As is Michigan.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2022, 11:44:12 pm »
How can it be?  Doesn't stay cold enough  (snow/rain/snow/rain).  I live in the snow belt and it sucks here.  We had a good 30 inches of wet snow a week ago and now it's gone.  Same cycle happens over and over again all winter.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2022, 12:01:06 am »
How can it be?  Doesn't stay cold enough  (snow/rain/snow/rain).  I live in the snow belt and it sucks here.  We had a good 30 inches of wet snow a week ago and now it's gone.  Same cycle happens over and over again all winter.

Hell if I know.  Lucan has loads of snow as does Michigan (not yet though..it's not "winter" here yet).  Trail system through Lucan was literally the only place I bought trail pass in Ontario.  And trail system in Michigan is spectacular.  The whole "sled culture" in Michigan is huge.

I also know that weird weather happens around the Great Lakes. 

But I have no real, scientific answer for you.

Maybe some of the peeps near London can chime in.  I know from commuting through London in past winters, there would be no snow..anywhere.  Then you'd get to areas near London and it would be a winter wonderland.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 12:38:26 am by rrocket »

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2022, 11:32:57 am »
I've been to the mountains sledding once.  For this flatlander it was an eye opening and butt puckering experience.  I rode with mostly andrenaline junky experienced riders, who were constantly pushing to go further, climb higher.  Won't do that again.  Next time if it happens will be with a guide that tailors the ride to my inexperience.

I ALWAYS wear chest armor when sledding.

I never even thought about body armour while sledding but it makes sense depending on what kind of riding you are doing. At least 50% of mine is putting along on groomed trails with the wife and kid's. The other 50% is putting along groomed trails behind my brother in-law and catching up with him at the gas stops and warm-up shacks. He's a better rider than me and has much newer sleds. In other words really tame.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2022, 03:01:45 pm »

I'm also a big fan of ATVs that use snowmobile transmissions.  I had a Honda prior with their clutch system and it was crap.  Honda still sticks with that overly complex system.

Good point about the weight. It can be deceiving on the newer, larger machines with power steering though, because they are relatively easy to man-handle. The old Honda 300 we were tearing around on (and the old Honda 500 we used to own), was a lot harder to steer without its IRS and power steering compared to the new machine.

And what (god help me for asking), made the Honda "clutch system" crap on your old Honda?
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2022, 06:06:24 pm »
And what (god help me for asking), made the Honda "clutch system" crap on your old Honda?

The original Honda used a wet clutch via a shift motor.  It was still a manual shift transmission where an electronic shift motor took the place of one's foot.  Riders would hammer the heck out of the tranny using the left hand shift button and the shift motor would crap out.

Then Honda realized they needed an automatic transmission and went hydro-static.  Wickedly complex, 5000 psi injection system, no dealer could fix them.  Honda Technical couldn't figure them out.  Just crap and it's still in use.

Take a look.  Search "how does a Hondamatic transmission work."

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=honda+atv+transmission+problems#kpvalbx=_m36KY47bNczcptQP9JiCMA_87

Before the Nissan store we operated a Suzuki Honda Power Sport dealership for 3 years.  That KingQuad in the photo was a parting gift.  During that time we came to realized what a problem those Honda's were.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 06:10:12 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2022, 10:35:43 am »
I know an outfitter. He won’t buy anything but Honda, and he’s been through them all over the last 30+ years. His ATVs are worked hard dragging baits through the bush/skeg.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2022, 11:00:44 am »
I know an outfitter. He won’t buy anything but Honda, and he’s been through them all over the last 30+ years. His ATVs are worked hard dragging baits through the bush/skeg.
Yep.

Know a bunch of peeps worth Honda and they love them.