Author Topic: Anyone tried ONEWHEEL?  (Read 4604 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Anyone tried ONEWHEEL?
« on: November 08, 2022, 12:28:46 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmCAQaIsN-s

Looks perfect and fun as a city run-around. There must be a learning curve to it so I wonder if anyone here tried it...
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried ONEWHEEL?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 01:21:21 am »
This would almost certainly kill me.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 08:11:35 am »
My late 50's neighbour recently bought one, but the style where you face forward with both feet on the side.  It looked like there was a bit of a learning curve, but he's got the hang of it now and seems to really enjoy it.

I think I'd be more tempted by an electric longboard, though the OneWheel's look super cool.  And I'd guess the larger wheel would make fior a smoother ride than a longboard.

Since I can't bike due to a knee injury, I've been thinking of getting one of these for quick trips to the grocery store/errands.  Would save me from having to get in the car.  But, I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 08:13:47 am »
A former colleague of mine has had one for years, he's obsessed with the thing. Takes it everywhere including on some off-road trails.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 09:02:16 am »
I saw a guy commuting on one of these when I was out on a city road ride a month ago.  I'm able to sustain about 30km/h, and he was easily keeping up with me, even zoomed past me at one point when I slowed down a little.  I wasn't able to catch him.  So, they go at a pretty good clip.  He was riding on both asphalt and gravel, so they seem quite versatile. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 09:56:03 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 09:27:13 am »
My neigbour says the models where you are squared with your direction of travel can reach up to 100 km/hr.  Which is batshit crazy.  Even on his lower model he has limted t the speed to something around 20 km/hr.  And I think his will go around 50.  I've certainly seem them hauling along the Farm path in Ottawa.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 09:47:56 am »
Never tried. I love my all terrain longboard, think these ones are even better on gravel and soft ground. Short too, so maneuverable. I have one of the ones where you face forward, find it a bit difficult to get the hang of and have not put the time in yet.

An e-longboard gives me a snowboard/magic carpet feeling, carving your way to work. Likely helps though if you have some experience with a regular longboard

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 04:27:57 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. I've ridden a skate board back in my day but this one seems on a whole other level of fun. Plus the practicality of going over any (well, most) terrain makes it a very attractive proposition. I'd imagine it should be suitable for nature trails as well as light grocery shopping trips. Wondering if they have a Canadian distributor...