Author Topic: Toyota Cablegate  (Read 8443 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Toyota Cablegate
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2024, 11:25:54 am »
So if Toyota increased production of the Camry by 10% you would only have to wait 5 months instead of 6 months for your car. Don't think Toyota cares and are happy selling every hybrid model and having a 6+ month waiting list. Only the RAV4 outsells it.

When I'm traveling in the USA I see a tonne of Camrys everywhere. I think the Hybrid Camry is amazing value and has to be one of the most fuel efficient cars out there, even better than a Corolla (gas or hybrid). That is pretty amazing.

2025 numbers aren't out yet but don't think they changed much.

One day in the local paper a "green economics" piece by a French expat editor who hates cars cited a piece done by other non-car people whose math showed the Camry Hybrid being the cleanest car available for sale in North America, based on its total climate footprint - ahead of all EV's.

I drove three previous-gen cars, one awd XLE (full RAV4 gas drivetrain) and two Hybrids (SE and XSE). The hybrids were more refined, with less engine noise than the gasser. But as the Hybrid gave me numbers in the high 8's (January, in town) the gasser impressed me by being in the 7's (open road, fall).

A Camry ain't an M3, but it's a 400,000 km, 12 year car easily.

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=116114.0

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=112658.0
I have a buddy with a 2012 with 1.2 million...

Cabbie?  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2024, 11:49:09 am »
So if Toyota increased production of the Camry by 10% you would only have to wait 5 months instead of 6 months for your car. Don't think Toyota cares and are happy selling every hybrid model and having a 6+ month waiting list. Only the RAV4 outsells it.

When I'm traveling in the USA I see a tonne of Camrys everywhere. I think the Hybrid Camry is amazing value and has to be one of the most fuel efficient cars out there, even better than a Corolla (gas or hybrid). That is pretty amazing.

One day in the local paper a "green economics" piece by a French expat editor who hates cars cited a piece done by other non-car people whose math showed the Camry Hybrid being the cleanest car available for sale in North America, based on its total climate footprint - ahead of all EV's.

I drove three previous-gen cars, one awd XLE (full RAV4 gas drivetrain) and two Hybrids (SE and XSE). The hybrids were more refined, with less engine noise than the gasser. But as the Hybrid gave me numbers in the high 8's (January, in town) the gasser impressed me by being in the 7's (open road, fall).

Cabbie?  ;D
Sales account manager
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2024, 12:19:32 pm »
I was at the local Toyota dealer this week setting up a service appointment for the GH and happened to bump into my salesman. The GTI lease is up in April next year and I am contemplating a total change of direction by potentially replacing it with the new all hybrid Camry. The salesman said that there is already a 6-12 month long waiting list for the new base trim i.e. SE FWD. For me the base is the preferred trim, because it does not have any rear wheel cable issues and being base it has the smallest rim/tire combo (205/65-16) with the cushiest sidewall rubber. The upper trims top out at 235-40/19!! Totally unnecessary on what is essentially a family sedan.

AFAIK Toyota has fixed the issue by flipping over the rear motor so the connector is now on top. Happened around '23 - '24 model years. So now it's down to either having extra traction or higher FE.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 12:22:22 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2024, 12:39:53 pm »
I was at the local Toyota dealer this week setting up a service appointment for the GH and happened to bump into my salesman. The GTI lease is up in April next year and I am contemplating a total change of direction by potentially replacing it with the new all hybrid Camry. The salesman said that there is already a 6-12 month long waiting list for the new base trim i.e. SE FWD. For me the base is the preferred trim, because it does not have any rear wheel cable issues and being base it has the smallest rim/tire combo (205/65-16) with the cushiest sidewall rubber. The upper trims top out at 235-40/19!! Totally unnecessary on what is essentially a family sedan.

AFAIK Toyota has fixed the issue by flipping over the rear motor so the connector is now on top. Happened around '23 - '24 model years. So now it's down to either having extra traction or higher FE.

That is good to know, that they have found a fix for cable corrosion. Notwithstanding, my preference remains the base SE FWD. Ride comfort with the smaller rims and tires and secondly, the FWD/small tire & rims combo which gives the best fuel economy among all Camry trims. In the GTA and surrounding 400 series highways, 2wd, whether fwd or rwd is adequate given the generally competent snow clearing operations. The combined fuel consumption rating of 4.6 liters/100 km  for this SE FWD trim is astonishing given the size of the vehicle and that it has 225 hp.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2024, 01:19:45 pm »

Cabbie?  ;D
Sales account manager

A buddy found these two in the auction history. They were apparently both used as private shuttles for YYZ. Number on the right is what they were purchased for.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2024, 01:28:34 pm »
For accuracy...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2024, 01:40:14 pm »
Man, oddball stuff starts to wear out at high mileages. Seats, door hinges, wiper pivots, etc

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2024, 08:06:53 pm »
Could you imagine spending 115k kms inside a car each year? At 50km/h average that is 2300 hours.. or 44 hours per week.   Living to work I guess..

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2024, 08:23:15 pm »
Not that it changes your point, but I sure hope he's averaging more than 50 km/hr
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2024, 10:13:53 pm »
Not that it changes your point, but I sure hope he's averaging more than 50 km/hr

I guess if all your driving is blitzing around on a highway. 50 km/h may be generous for the average car.