Author Topic: 2023 BMW M2 OFFICIAL  (Read 16230 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: 2023 BMW M2 OFFICIAL
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2023, 12:24:10 pm »
The Straight Pipes review was quite positive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGc8AC0Dcnw
Honestly, I don't really value those guys opinions.  I tend to avoid their reviews as I just get the impression that they are more content creators than knowledgeable car guys.  I lost all faith in Yuri when he bought his dream car...a Prowler.  LAME.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2023, 12:38:06 pm »
The Straight Pipes review was quite positive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGc8AC0Dcnw
Honestly, I don't really value those guys opinions.  I tend to avoid their reviews as I just get the impression that they are more content creators than knowledgeable car guys.  I lost all faith in Yuri when he bought his dream car...a Prowler.  LAME.

i like Prowler...  i mean the shape is so.... retro and concept-car-ish/catoonish.   
as a car, probably not great with chrysler powertrain, but it's a good looking one to me at least.

as for M2, looks kinda weird to me today but may grow on me later, but overall seem to be nice car!.   hope yours come soon!

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2023, 12:48:27 pm »

I think you're selling them short. They seem quite knowledgeable to me. The Prowler doesn't do it for me, but think of how old he would have been when the Prowler came out – when you're 11 years old you don't know that it's lame, you just know that you think it looks cool. It's a nostalgia play, and when you're driving press cars every week, you may not feel the need to buy a newer high performance vehicle for yourself.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2023, 01:05:19 pm »

but think of how old he would have been when the Prowler came out – when you're 11 years old you don't know that it's lame,

So he had all this time to figure out it was lame...and he bought one anyways. LOL [emoji38]
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2023, 02:08:11 pm »

but think of how old he would have been when the Prowler came out – when you're 11 years old you don't know that it's lame,

So he had all this time to figure out it was lame...and he bought one anyways. LOL [emoji38]
Exactly.  I would have given him credit IF he bought it and modified it so it was actually a GOOD car (that would mean dropping a proper power unit in it and likely modifying the suspension and brakes).  This isn't the same as The Hire and buying that old Camry.  This is a car journalist/said car enthusiast that loved a car when they were young, drives a bunch of modern vehicles, and chooses the car that he loved as a kid but now knows is a piece of crap. 

When I was a kid, I loved the 70's Corvette Stingray.  I mean I loved them, every time I saw one I would almost break my neck looking at them.  But then I grew up and realized just how crap that vehicle was.  Now I would never own one without changing the powertrain, modifying the brakes and suspension, basically turning it into a restomod.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2023, 07:53:20 pm »
If it is my cash, I am thinking the Supra manual would be a great option.  Not as quick but close and a lot less cash comparatively equipped.

Regardless, here is a POV drive of the M2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi3j9QjS4zs

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2023, 08:21:01 pm »

Exactly.  I would have given him credit IF he bought it and modified it so it was actually a GOOD car (that would mean dropping a proper power unit in it and likely modifying the suspension and brakes).  This isn't the same as The Hire and buying that old Camry.  This is a car journalist/said car enthusiast that loved a car when they were young, drives a bunch of modern vehicles, and chooses the car that he loved as a kid but now knows is a piece of crap. 

When I was a kid, I loved the 70's Corvette Stingray.  I mean I loved them, every time I saw one I would almost break my neck looking at them.  But then I grew up and realized just how crap that vehicle was.  Now I would never own one without changing the powertrain, modifying the brakes and suspension, basically turning it into a restomod.

I’m no prowler fan, but what’s with all the shade?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2023, 08:54:48 pm »
If it is my cash, I am thinking the Supra manual would be a great option.  Not as quick but close and a lot less cash comparatively equipped.

Same. Or a used previous gen M2...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2023, 12:47:02 am »

All hat no cattle. In the worst possible way.

Would have been a zillion times better with even the V8 from a pickup.

I'd be embarrassed driving that car.

But hey..whatever floats his boat. His car, not mine.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2023, 07:01:48 am »

That’s kind of what I’m getting at…we all have our vices :)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2023, 07:02:19 am »

100% this, especially if at the time they had ties to Mercedes and those engine options.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2023, 07:05:41 am »

The thing is, the Supra isn't really much slower, at least in the 0-60 numbers, I think maybe 0.1-0.2 seconds different.  The M2 has a lot of power, but it also weighs 500 pounds more.  On the track, I would hope that it's faster, with it being newer and it appears it has superior grip.  Don't get me wrong, the M2 is a fantastic car and I'm glad it exists.  I'm just not sold on the price, looks, and appears the character has been somewhat taken out of it compared to the previous generation. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2023, 07:50:11 am »

100% this, especially if at the time they had ties to Mercedes and those engine options.

The Prowler predates the merger with Mercedes.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2023, 08:58:49 am »

The Prowler predates the merger with Mercedes.
Yeah I wasn't sure.  I feel like it was a V8 plus a manual away from being a true car enthusiast car.  To me it's not really any different from the last generation of Ford Thunderbird (that retro version in the early 00's), which at least had a V8 (mind you not an overly powerful one).

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2023, 09:19:03 am »
A manual would have obviously helped a lot but the 1999 Prowler did get a significant upgrade in power and they could do 0-60 in under six seconds which wasn't bad for the time.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2023, 10:28:12 am »

The thing is, the Supra isn't really much slower, at least in the 0-60 numbers, I think maybe 0.1-0.2 seconds different.  The M2 has a lot of power, but it also weighs 500 pounds more.  On the track, I would hope that it's faster, with it being newer and it appears it has superior grip.  Don't get me wrong, the M2 is a fantastic car and I'm glad it exists.  I'm just not sold on the price, looks, and appears the character has been somewhat taken out of it compared to the previous generation.

Indeed.  The one place you would see a difference is roll on performance at higher speeds as the twin turbos get to work but realistically, you aren’t likely achieving these speeds on public roads.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2023, 01:29:04 pm »
I think this was a really good summary from Top Gear.

"Overall this is an improved vehicle. Quieter, roomier, more generously equipped and less wearying as a GT than the old M2. That’s a crowd-pleasing move from BMW, but the die-hards in the mosh pit don’t want an M4-lite. They want an M2. Now it’s bigger and more grown up just about everywhere, what the M2 lacks is a personality all its own, which the uncomplicated, uncompromising old M2 had in spadefuls.

If we were a current M2 owner, we'd be feeling pretty smug that our car looks prettier than the new M2, has a more intuitive (if less plush) dashboard, sounds fruiter, and goes with more poise, more purpose, more sense of being a barely contained ball of fury straining to escape from a working-class hero chassis. Perhaps that was where the era ended after all.

That said, if you’re looking purely at new car options, the M2 really is in a class of one. No other small sporting coupe is as practical, and in many ways the M2 now asks very serious questions of the M4 itself. There, we just saved you £18,000."

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2023, 10:56:17 am »

:iagree: :iagree:
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2023, 11:03:03 am »
Throttle House review....not the most flattering.  Hmmmm, this isn't exactly selling me on spending the extra money on this over a manual Supra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uT4s_NWBN0

I liked this review and with Thomas owning a previous gen M2, there's a lot of insight here I think.

While every enthusiast out there (who hasn't actually driven the cars) will crucify me for saying it, I'm not surprised by their claims that the automatic was simply better.  I found the same with the M3/M4comp when I drove them back to back too. The stick shift is *nice* but it's not really a great one.  It's not rifle-bolt precise, the throws are long-ish and the clutch is so light and lifeless. The 8 speed auto just keeps that engine in all of its sweetness and can really be driven hard. 

I think I'd be happy with an M240i as a daily driver, and something like an old M Roadster for the visceral experiences.  That M240i with its awd is already blazing quick and offers so much of what makes the M2 a neat choice. Plus it looks better, too.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2023, 12:00:07 pm »
Throttle House review....not the most flattering.  Hmmmm, this isn't exactly selling me on spending the extra money on this over a manual Supra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uT4s_NWBN0

I liked this review and with Thomas owning a previous gen M2, there's a lot of insight here I think.

While every enthusiast out there (who hasn't actually driven the cars) will crucify me for saying it, I'm not surprised by their claims that the automatic was simply better.  I found the same with the M3/M4comp when I drove them back to back too. The stick shift is *nice* but it's not really a great one.  It's not rifle-bolt precise, the throws are long-ish and the clutch is so light and lifeless. The 8 speed auto just keeps that engine in all of its sweetness and can really be driven hard. 

I think I'd be happy with an M240i as a daily driver, and something like an old M Roadster for the visceral experiences.  That M240i with its awd is already blazing quick and offers so much of what makes the M2 a neat choice. Plus it looks better, too.

I'm with you on that one, my colleague has a previous gen M240i as his summer daily, and it's all the performance car that I would want on our awful roads.